Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Happy
Y'all miss the question initially asked by the poster - see bolded part below:
What bolded part?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
The Vanilla MCs at my WM are hard coded to not be bought with a CC. Is that true for y'all too?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
The Vanilla MCs at my WM are hard coded to not be bought with a CC. Is that true for y'all too?
Yep, me too.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:55 pm

Just did my first purchase of MOs at the WM kiosk using $500 Vanilla Visa cards.

Is there a way to apply multiple cards to a payment? I was only able to get one MO at a time for $499.30 plus the $0.70 fee to totally liquidate the card.

The machine states a limit of $2K in MOs per transaction. Does that mean you could do unlimited $500 transactions, or is there an unspecified limit as there is with the BB and GB loads?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bean
Is there a way to apply multiple cards to a payment? I was only able to get one MO at a time for $499.30 plus the $0.70 fee to totally liquidate the card.
Not at kiosk
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Unless someone raided my local Ralphs for variable $500 cards they've all been removed from the gift card rack. Haven't been able to check out other stores yet, but just curious if others have seen the same thing.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just did my first purchase of MOs at the WM kiosk using $500 Vanilla Visa cards.

The machine states a limit of $2K in MOs per transaction. Does that mean you could do unlimited $500 transactions, or is there an unspecified limit as there is with the BB and GB loads?
Wow, you found a WM with a working kiosk and one that prints MOs, no less!
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
Wow, you found a WM with a working kiosk and one that prints MOs, no less!
I'm going to check my walmart kiosk to see if it does MO's. That would be amazing. To not have to deal with walmart employees.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ricohitman
I'm going to check my walmart kiosk to see if it does MO's. That would be amazing. To not have to deal with walmart employees.
As much as I too would rather avoid the WM employees. I wont since Id rather get a $1k MO then a $500 MO. Its not the extra .70 but its alot easier and less of a hassle giving the teller say 2 @ $1k then 4 @ $500. Sort of like Id rather have 1 $200 GC then 2 $100s
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by craz
As much as I too would rather avoid the WM employees. I wont since Id rather get a $1k MO then a $500 MO. Its not the extra .70 but its alot easier and less of a hassle giving the teller say 2 @ $1k then 4 @ $500. Sort of like Id rather have 1 $200 GC then 2 $100s
This is true, but I don't put out as much as many others do for my MF. I rarely have $1k in gift cards to cash out.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by skimtastic
Unless someone raided my local Ralphs for variable $500 cards they've all been removed from the gift card rack. Haven't been able to check out other stores yet, but just curious if others have seen the same thing.
I've seen outages, but they always end up back on the rack. This is at Kroger.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K

I have done 19 $500 transactions in a row, the only limit is if a employee notices you or if you get embarrassed being at the machine that long. My guess is you could always use up all of the m/o paper as well.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by lovenola
I have done 19 $500 transactions in a row, the only limit is if a employee notices you or if you get embarrassed being at the machine that long. My guess is you could always use up all of the m/o paper as well.
Sigh. Why stay there long enough to get noticed? That gets them mentioning things and adds additional scrutiny. Then, folks will say, oh well, the deal is over.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Sigh. Why stay there long enough to get noticed? That gets them mentioning things and adds additional scrutiny. Then, folks will say, oh well, the deal is over.
I love your informed comments. Been in the game since...May
Old Jul 12, 2013, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
wrong. you'll get more noticed at the counter. people have a lot of trouble with their kiosks. i know because after loading BB with 10 $100 gc's i went to the counter for MO's (i will not get $500 MO's- do enough and the .70 wasted adds up and messes with my total return #'s).

anyway, i'll comment that the machine is a pain and that if i mess up at all, i have to start over (as a cover since she noticed the time i spent at teh kiosk). anyway, she agreed and said people are always having trouble with it. ergo- a bunch of time spent at the kiosk= nobody notices/cares...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.