Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 11:25 am

Ummm....yeah...that's the exact link I gave.

I'm not asking *how* to locate them... I am asking people to simply verify the information in that locator with the WMs they frequent so we can see how accurate it is.

On two occasions now it has given me addresses for WM ATMs that lead to an address where no WM resides. In both cases, there have been WMs within 2 miles - but at different addresses.

It stands to reason that the database isn't current then, so I was just asking for the community to validate. Everyone taking 30 seconds to check will help us all gauge the accuracy of the locator better.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by BenH
Ummm....yeah...that's the exact link I gave.

I'm not asking *how* to locate them... I am asking people to simply verify the information in that locator with the WMs they frequent so we can see how accurate it is.

On two occasions now it has given me addresses for WM ATMs that lead to an address where no WM resides. In both cases, there have been WMs within 2 miles - but at different addresses.

It stands to reason that the database isn't current then, so I was just asking for the community to validate. Everyone taking 30 seconds to check will help us all gauge the accuracy of the locator better.
For me it's been always accurate, although I've only used it 2-3 times. I picked a couple WM's and stick with them. If you have to use this tool extensively all the time, you will end up wasting time and resources (researching, and possibly driving further which costs more gas), which makes the deal not so good anymore.

The few times that I used it, I double checked on Walmart.com about the address and existence of the Walmart before heading there.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Right now i am paying about ~0.0075 per mile using VRs to fund BB. What is the lowest cost you guys are coming up with on a per mile basis (which card and what product are you using to achieve this)?
Old May 24, 2013, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by arsenalman
Right now i am paying about ~0.0075 per mile using VRs to fund BB. What is the lowest cost you guys are coming up with on a per mile basis (which card and what product are you using to achieve this)?
.52 cpm with United Club Visa. Regular VR purchase.
Old May 24, 2013, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
.52 cpm with United Club Visa. Regular VR purchase.
that calculation includes the ~400 annual fee?
Old May 24, 2013, 1:25 pm

that calculation includes the ~400 annual fee?
definitely not. Just the simple $3.95/750 miles. but definitely worth it, IMO, if you put $40K+ on the Club Visa overall. $40K = 60K miles (60K miles worth at least $1500 UA to me), cant do it any better than that if you fly UA. Of course it's even easier to hit 40K with mfc spend.

Last edited by SuperKirby; May 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm
Old May 24, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
.67 cpp, on staples visa/mc with pin using Ink cards.

I'm assuming your multiplying .0075 by 100?

As in .0075*100=.75 cpp?
Old May 24, 2013, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
.67 cpp, on staples visa/mc with pin using Ink cards.?
Exactly what type of gc's are these?
Old May 24, 2013, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
.67 cpp, on staples visa/mc with pin using Ink cards.

I'm assuming your multiplying .0075 by 100?

As in .0075*100=.75 cpp?
Correct.
Old May 24, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Exactly what type of gc's are these?
Regular $200 visa gift card with $6.95 activation fee.

5x UR points on office supply stores=1035 UR Points

695/1035=.67 cpp.
Old May 24, 2013, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Ducati
The OD manager is correct. The Ink card does charge a higher percentage to merchants. All business and premium cards charge higher interchange fees.

As for a business losing money on a particular product, that is quite common. It's called a loss leader. It's designed to bring in customers with the hope that the customer will buy other items that are actually profitable. This marketing tactic does actually work.
Right, so the Ink card is not the problem, any cash back card would be a problem.

I still don't understand, they have known for a while that they lose money on them and the customers that come in buy nothing else, so why not stop selling them? Or carry a different type of card from a different issuer? More likely, they have a deal with vanilla such that they get paid some amount to carry the cards. Perhaps these fees go directly to the franchise and not the individual store, but someone is getting paid.
Old May 25, 2013, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vtqanh
For me it's been always accurate, although I've only used it 2-3 times. I picked a couple WM's and stick with them. If you have to use this tool extensively all the time, you will end up wasting time and resources (researching, and possibly driving further which costs more gas), which makes the deal not so good anymore.

The few times that I used it, I double checked on Walmart.com about the address and existence of the Walmart before heading there.
I travel for work, so this link is valuable to me as I don't know the area in which I'm in and has worked like a charm.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
New Issue

Today I went to WM to load my BB via a PIN-enabled GC as I have done countless times before. After swiping the GC and entering the PIN, the screen displayed "APPROVED"... yet then printed out a receipt saying "DEBIT NOT APPROVED HOST TIMEOUT"

I tried using different GCs, all with the same result.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or ideas what it might mean?

Thanks.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Today I went to WM to load my BB via a PIN-enabled GC as I have done countless times before. After swiping the GC and entering the PIN, the screen displayed "APPROVED"... yet then printed out a receipt saying "DEBIT NOT APPROVED HOST TIMEOUT"

I tried using different GCs, all with the same result.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or ideas what it might mean?

Thanks.
I had the exact same problem today. Tried 2 walmarts with no luck.

Edit: tried both the register and machine.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: HHonors diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Aerosfire
I had the exact same problem today. Tried 2 walmarts with no luck.

Edit: tried both the register and machine.
Which area did you try it at? Hope it is just a glitch in the system and not a policy issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.