Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
It's like you're living in a parallel WM universe, one not nearly as pleasant as mine
I actually haven't tried in awhile though. Last time I tried was like 2010 so maybe I'll give it one more shot at my closest walmart and see how it goes.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:14 pm

anyone with a Walmart Express or Walmart Neighborhood Market that has a Kiosk for loading?
Old May 14, 2013, 7:30 pm

Got the dredded PFRAUD on the last of a batch of Chase cards after I had an issue loading it.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by keirnna
Got the dredded PFRAUD on the last of a batch of Chase cards after I had an issue loading it.
How much did you buy and what were you loading, BB?
Old May 14, 2013, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
How much did you buy and what were you loading, BB?
Accidentally tried to load over $5,000 this month on my BB. Terminal confirmed the load, but it didn't actually load. Still have $500 available on my account.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:14 pm

I don't think its been clearly stated in this thread before, but if it has, my apologies.

Haven't seen any VRs at any of the stores here, so I bought the Vanilla Visa GC at CVS today ($4.95 activation, issued by Bancorp Bank) for $500, cashier asked to see my ID, but I could pay with my Business Amex Gold . Went to WM, asked to put $500 on my BB. Swiped card, put random 4 digits in, and it went through without a hitch. Got the email confirming the load. I'm a happy camper.

Hope this helps anyone who was wondering about these cards. Also, if it helps, the expiration on my GC said 06/2021. There were a few in the stack which were expiring in 2019, but I went with the newer ones.
Old May 15, 2013, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by crimsonred
I don't think its been clearly stated in this thread before, but if it has, my apologies.

Haven't seen any VRs at any of the stores here, so I bought the Vanilla Visa GC at CVS today ($4.95 activation, issued by Bancorp Bank) for $500, cashier asked to see my ID, but I could pay with my Business Amex Gold . Went to WM, asked to put $500 on my BB. Swiped card, put random 4 digits in, and it went through without a hitch. Got the email confirming the load. I'm a happy camper.

Hope this helps anyone who was wondering about these cards. Also, if it helps, the expiration on my GC said 06/2021. There were a few in the stack which were expiring in 2019, but I went with the newer ones.
Thanks! Nice! I can go back to a gas station and pick one up.
Old May 15, 2013, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by keirnna
Accidentally tried to load over $5,000 this month on my BB. Terminal confirmed the load, but it didn't actually load. Still have $500 available on my account.
Is this $500 usable or frozen? Is this $500 the only card you have left? Were you dumping the entire amount of GCs at once?
Old May 15, 2013, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by vagrants
Is this $500 usable or frozen? Is this $500 the only card you have left? Were you dumping the entire amount of GCs at once?
After calling them it now seems to be usable. I was dumping the whole value.
Old May 15, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by jabtravel
anyone with a Walmart Express or Walmart Neighborhood Market that has a Kiosk for loading?
I got a kiosk in Neighborhood Market in 40207.
Old May 15, 2013, 8:23 am

Smile MO from WM Kiosk

Has anyone successfully brought MO from WM Money Kiosk? tried last night for $399.45 in total, wanted to use two $200 GC from OD. it seems that you can not do split payment.
Old May 15, 2013, 8:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by liw5215
Has anyone successfully brought MO from WM Money Kiosk? tried last night for $399.45 in total, wanted to use two $200 GC from OD. it seems that you can not do split payment.
IIRC, you can't do a split on a Kiosk
Old May 15, 2013, 8:54 am
wcj

deleted

Last edited by wcj; Jun 29, 2014 at 4:00 pm
Old May 15, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by crimsonred

The Onevanilla prepaid or the regular Vanilla Visa?
Old May 15, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by wcj
I've bought at least one for $499.30 with a $500 card. However, all my WMs have MOs for $0.70, so if you were here, it would deny you because you don't have sufficient funds. $399.45+.70 is over $400, the value of two $200 cards. IDK on split because I don't prefer kiosk for split MOs.
I noticed that MO costs $0.55 if the WM has Money center, otherwise $0.70. for $500 GC, it is better to buy MO at the customer service or Money Center. you can use two $500 GC to get an either $999.30 or $999.45 MO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.