Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 3, 17, 2:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ds-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

Old May 12, 13, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA scum/0.699MM, WN ALP/CP, Hyatt Diamond, MR/SPG Gold,Hertz PC, National EE, Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I've had success using cc to buy gc from every Ralphs I've been to. They always ask to see ID. But I've had a lot of problems at Vons. I tried going to 4 Vons stores to take advantage of the $15 deal, only 1 store let me use cc. The rest said cash or debit only, even when I mixed that card in with multiple grocery items.
How odd. I've had nothing but success at Vons and Pavilions. The only place I have gotten shot down was an Albertsons in CO
Old May 12, 13, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA scum/0.699MM, WN ALP/CP, Hyatt Diamond, MR/SPG Gold,Hertz PC, National EE, Carlson Silver
Had an interesting one today. Bought a variable load MC at Vons today. Went to the parking lot, set the pin, and then headed to Walmart. Already had another from yesterday and loaded it to my BB first without a problem. Then went on to the second card (separate transaction) and I got the debit not approved/available message. Tried it a couple of different times, making sure the cashier didn't press anything weird and still no dice, so I left and went to another WM. Called to set the PIN again, just in case. Same thing at the second WM.... This is the first misfire I've had on multiple Visa and MC cards. Gonna give it a day to see if the PIN just didn't go all the way thru the system yet. No transaction show on the card history other than the initial load.

I am not at 5k for the month yet (it is calendar month, not a rolling 30 days, right?) and I have not hit 1k for the day.
Old May 12, 13, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
Had an interesting one today. Bought a variable load MC at Vons today. Went to the parking lot, set the pin, and then headed to Walmart. Already had another from yesterday and loaded it to my BB first without a problem. Then went on to the second card (separate transaction) and I got the debit not approved/available message. Tried it a couple of different times, making sure the cashier didn't press anything weird and still no dice, so I left and went to another WM. Called to set the PIN again, just in case. Same thing at the second WM.... This is the first misfire I've had on multiple Visa and MC cards. Gonna give it a day to see if the PIN just didn't go all the way thru the system yet. No transaction show on the card history other than the initial load.

I am not at 5k for the month yet (it is calendar month, not a rolling 30 days, right?) and I have not hit 1k for the day.
Did it first prompt you for a PIN or say debit not approved after you swiped?
Old May 12, 13, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerfer View Post
Did it first prompt you for a PIN or say debit not approved after you swiped?
The MC ones always require me to hit "Change Payment Method" button which then prompted for a PIN. Then it asks about cash back (which I answer no to). After that, yeah, it said something like Alternate Payment Required on the PIN pad and then spit out the small piece of paper with the Debit Not Authorized message.
Old May 12, 13, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
The MC ones always require me to hit "Change Payment Method" button which then prompted for a PIN. Then it asks about cash back (which I answer no to). After that, yeah, it said something like Alternate Payment Required on the PIN pad and then spit out the small piece of paper with the Debit Not Authorized message.
You could try loading an amount equal to BB's minimum ($20) to see if it goes through. If it does you'll know the problem was limit related. If you've always loaded BB with exactly $500 every time, then it's pointless to try the test.

I'm not sure if the monthly cap is a rolling limit but I'm sure someone here does.
Old May 12, 13, 7:07 pm

One thing I've noticed about gift card history is not all companies choose to show failure messages to customers. They only show successful transactions in their logs. One gift card I bought showed both successful and failure log entries.

Last edited by Jerfer; May 12, 13 at 7:13 pm
Old May 12, 13, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by BenH View Post
His questions was "what is this common visa gift card considered? Debit or reload?" along with a picture of the card in question. He wasn't asking to be told what a common card was in terms of frequency. Even if he was however, the question would be valid if he is looking for a card he could "commonly" find at most locations. Why assume/accuse him a blogger?

@dawgs - those cards in your pic are considered standard VISA debit GC. They themselves are not "reload" cards because you can't reload them after initial (variable) purchase. You can however use those cards with their PIN to "reload" BB.

So the question is, can you load 2 of the pictured, $500 Visa gift cards at the Walmart money center for no transaction fee? According to the "new" BlueBird rules, you can only load $100 a day via debt and it costs $2.

https://www.bluebird.com/faqs#fees-and-limits

Old May 12, 13, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
So the question is, can you load 2 of the pictured, $500 Visa gift cards at the Walmart money center for no transaction fee? According to the "new" BlueBird rules, you can only load $100 a day via debt and it costs $2.

https://www.bluebird.com/faqs#fees-and-limits
That has been the rule since Day 1.

Loading off a debit card via the Bluebird website is NOT the same thing as loading from a debit card at Wal-Mart. This has been gone over and over and over again in the bluebird thread.
Old May 12, 13, 8:41 pm

data point

Wife bought a visa variable load card for $500 from walmart ...even had walmart logo and happy birthday on the front. It said on a small round sticker on the front "your PIN is the last 4 digits of the card...no atm access, no cash back" used it a few days later with some other grocery store US bank visa cards that I called in and set PINS for...all loaded with no problem (or fee) at walmart customer service desk.
Old May 12, 13, 9:07 pm

deleted

Last edited by vagrants; May 12, 13 at 9:15 pm
Old May 12, 13, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wise2u View Post
Wife bought a visa variable load card for $500 from walmart ...even had walmart logo and happy birthday on the front. It said on a small round sticker on the front "your PIN is the last 4 digits of the card...no atm access, no cash back" used it a few days later with some other grocery store US bank visa cards that I called in and set PINS for...all loaded with no problem (or fee) at walmart customer service desk.
Now the VISA GC I had stated the same thing (bolded), however, when I went to load my BB, I played with the card and the kiosk allowed me to pull money out for a fee ( I didnt do it) I thought it was interesting that it was allowing me to do it. I might have to give it a try just to see if I can do it.
Old May 13, 13, 1:01 am

When getting cashback at supermarkets, I tell the cashier than I'm using a debit card and that I want cashback. Only after I've input my PIN will I show him the card. Otherwise, some cashiers look at card and refuse to process as anything but a credit card.
Old May 13, 13, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st.exupery View Post
When getting cashback at supermarkets, I tell the cashier than I'm using a debit card and that I want cashback. Only after I've input my PIN will I show him the card. Otherwise, some cashiers look at card and refuse to process as anything but a credit card.
You can use self-checkout where available and avoid the problem entirely.
Old May 13, 13, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter View Post
In the western suburbs, you'll find BB kiosks at the Northlake store at North Ave & Wolf and in Villa Park on Route 83. Don't bother with Elk Grove Village or Lombard. .
FYI any Chicago folks - there is no Kiosk in the Villa Park store. I didn't think there was based on the MP locator site, but since I was out there I decided to take MDW's word on it and stopped in. No Kiosk (according to what I saw and the people that work at MoneyCenter). However had no problem loading a $500 card at MC register and then another $500 when I checked out at normal cashier (both Chase cards).

Last edited by BenH; May 13, 13 at 11:57 am
Old May 13, 13, 8:45 am

I've been mostly getting MOs instead of BB kiosk option. Is there any reason why I should switch it up to BB kiosk? I have ice creams available where I'm at so I max out BB with them and then do Visa debits to MO option.

Search this Thread