Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 2:40 pm

Loaded some US bank master gift card from staples / randalls to BB this morning. OK.
1 Set pins. Call to the # on the back of the card 866-952-5653 to set pins.
2 Loaded at walmart kiosk. NCR kiosk.

Tried to load a rebate card (from Mcafee, visa, metabank), did not set pin at first, failed
by using the last 4 digits as the pin.

Cancelled the transaction. Luckily, the kiosk is not dead. :P And the money is still in the rebate card. :-)

Last edited by daviddyer; May 9, 2013 at 3:31 pm
Old May 9, 2013, 4:45 pm

The forum has a nice "new page" bug going on.
Old May 9, 2013, 5:57 pm

Data Point. Attempted to purchase a variable load Vanilla MC at WM today. The register did not accept CC as payment (tried an amex and chase visa). The cashier said the MC gift cards are coming through as cash/debit only, but the Visas have been working fine with CC. I would have tried that, but they only had $25 Visas.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:15 pm

Tried to lower my Citi CA limit but the system would only go down to $750.

My question, if I buy two $500 GCs from GCM, will it go thru as a $1000 transaction and decline if for some reason it's coded as a CA or is it two separate $500 transactions?
Old May 9, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA, UR, USAir, AMEX, AA
Was new to this method, I had almost closed my BB account since I couldn't buy the VR cards at CVS anymore. However, today went to Safeway (here in California) and bought 2x$500 of the MetaBank cards, set the pin in the parking lot, then went to WM. No machine, but the guy at the Money counter had no problem loading up my BB card. Looks like I have a new method to meet minimum spending requirements! Maybe using the online mall to save a few bucks, but for short-term goals this method works fine.

With respect to the Chase cards, I don't have any new ones with minimum requirements nor do my cards earn great points (all are x1 or x1.25). So, I don't really think it's worth it if not going for minimum spend, which I'm not.

However, this just got me thinking about long-term rewards gains...at some point I'll want to stop app-o-ramas every 91 days and just pick one or two cards to play out and try to do my best (with tricks like this or their future equivalents). Currently it seems like the best bet would be any card with a 5x or 6x multiplier anywhere I can get these gift cards. Since office supply stores seem to have nothing more than $200 GCs (at $5.95 fee it's almost not worth the hassle), would that mean something like the OPs mentioned AMEX Blue Cash card...getting 6% at grocery stores? That's cash, not points...any other card where this would really pay off? Sorry, might be going off-topic for this forum.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
If you are loading BB and paying bills that wouldn't earn points anyway, aren't you still coming out ahead no matter what? Esp. with gift cards from staples?
Old May 9, 2013, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by DeepSky
Glad you figured out ^

Hopefully guys in Chicagoland are taking advantage of money maker miles at the grocery stores @:-)
Can you elaborate?

Originally Posted by smitty06
For those in Chicago, the Walmart neighborhood market on Broadway has a working kiosk for loading BB. It does not do money orders though.
Same is true for one in the near west burbs...I wonder why none of the Chicago kiosks can do MOs
Old May 9, 2013, 9:38 pm

So, the PIN option is awesome, a game-changer, etc. But is there a way to take advantage of this without having to go to Walmart?

I'd been boycotting Walmart since I read Nickel and Dimed, not that my boycotting it dropped a dime from its bottom line. Capitalist at heart, though, I crossed the line to load BB and buy MOs. Had good luck at a kiosk over the weekend. Unfortunately, no kiosk at the WM on the way home.

Evidently, a guy in a suit, darkening the doors for the first time in a decade, eight gift cards in hand, loading $2K onto 2 BBs and buying a $2k money order, and then going back the next day with the same order, tends to draw attention. On the second run, the MC Rep grumpily loaded the BBs, said she remembered me from yesterday (she was there but not the person I had dealt with), demanded to see the cards and asked where I got them, scoffed that a gift card wouldn't work (it had the day before), kept typing in a code (51, she said) to ensure she was true to her word, called a manager for a void, handed me the $2 I had given her for the MO fees and refused to try again. Not even a Have a Nice Day.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by bubble o bill
So, the PIN option is awesome, a game-changer, etc. But is there a way to take advantage of this without having to go to Walmart?

I'd been boycotting Walmart since I read Nickel and Dimed, not that my boycotting it dropped a dime from its bottom line. Capitalist at heart, though, I crossed the line to load BB and buy MOs. Had good luck at a kiosk over the weekend. Unfortunately, no kiosk at the WM on the way home.

Evidently, a guy in a suit, darkening the doors for the first time in a decade, eight gift cards in hand, loading $2K onto 2 BBs and buying a $2k money order, and then going back the next day with the same order, tends to draw attention. On the second run, the MC Rep grumpily loaded the BBs, said she remembered me from yesterday (she was there but not the person I had dealt with), demanded to see the cards and asked where I got them, scoffed that a gift card wouldn't work (it had the day before), kept typing in a code (51, she said) to ensure she was true to her word, called a manager for a void, handed me the $2 I had given her for the MO fees and refused to try again. Not even a Have a Nice Day.
You can load for $2 bucks online, but the limits are excruciating...
Old May 9, 2013, 9:53 pm

went to Walmart to load using US Bank Mastercard gc. No success. "tender not allowed"
Old May 9, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BenH
Same is true for one in the near west burbs...I wonder why none of the Chicago kiosks can do MOs
I've been in 10 different Walmarts between the City and western suburbs and have yet to see a kiosk that will do MOs. A bit disappointing, but it hasn't slowed me down

Kiosks for BB can be found in the City at the Walmart Express in Boystown, River North, and also inside Presidential Towers in the West Loop. The WE at Broadway & Diversey may have it, but the store is too hard to get in and out of unless you're on foot so it's not on my runs. Also, regular WM in Austin has a kiosk, but it's practically at the counter so I don't use it.

In the western suburbs, you'll find BB kiosks at the Northlake store at North Ave & Wolf and in Villa Park on Route 83. Don't bother with Elk Grove Village or Lombard.

That's all I can remember right now.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kjgco
Are you sure you have the correct number? I set the PIN successfully on 2 cards by dialing 866-952-5653 a little while ago.
Thank you that fixed it... Changed pin with no problems. Now are there higher denominations then $100 on these cards?
Old May 9, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by theacolyte
Data Point. Attempted to purchase a variable load Vanilla MC at WM today. The register did not accept CC as payment (tried an amex and chase visa). The cashier said the MC gift cards are coming through as cash/debit only, but the Visas have been working fine with CC. I would have tried that, but they only had $25 Visas.
Same thing happened to me a couple weeks back. I had been buying all the 500 Purple Visa Variable ones at WM (one of my card gives 2x) and after they ran out of stock..tried the Vanilla cards...cash/debit. Went to another WM but cashier said cash only
Old May 9, 2013, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bubble o bill

This is what will cause problems for everybody if people go in everyday and so this, go to different WMs.... I am sure this is how OD got closed down with the bean...
Old May 10, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This is what will cause problems for everybody if people go in everyday and so this, go to different WMs.... I am sure this is how OD got closed down with the bean...
I agree that I think abnormal activity might make an employee nervous. Fortunately, there are many places to buy gift cards (chase, grocery stores, drugstores) that there is no need to go to the same store every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.