Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:36 am
jdl

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Where did people find the $2,600 per month Chase GC limit listed? I looked on the main landing page (chase.com/gift-cards) and didn't see it. I think clicked through to the order page and checked both the FAQ and T & C's and didn't see it.
Someone called Chase and asked. I can't find the source post and YMMV.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: American Airlaines, Delta SkyMiles, United, BA, HH, Marriott, SPG, Priority Club
Originally Posted by jk2
So, is it true that giftcardmall puts a 30-day hold? I did try different cards, even tried to purchase small amounts - all my orders didn't got through. I cleared everything possible with CC company. Last time Chase's rep told me that he sees that transaction was indeed approved from their side (which means that it passed all possible verifications) and the only guilty part is a GCM. However, GSM's rep always says (I guess, from script) that I have to check my billing address. This sounds ridiculous since otherwise the transaction wouldn't be approved by CC company.

Any idea what can be done?
Deleted
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:52 am

Here's some more anecdotes:

US Bank Visa variable load card: works for Walmart MO - must call the number on back of card to set PIN prior to use

OneVanilla variable load card: can use immediately for Walmart MO, PIN registers upon first use

Vanilla Visa Gift variable load card: can use immediately for Walmart MO, PIN registers upon first use (even though on back of card it says not eligible for Cash or ATM transactions)
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by bobfather
Here's some more anecdotes:

US Bank Visa variable load card: works for Walmart MO - must call the number on back of card to set PIN prior to use

OneVanilla variable load card: can use immediately for Walmart MO, PIN registers upon first use

Vanilla Visa Gift variable load card: can use immediately for Walmart MO, PIN registers upon first use (even though on back of card it says not eligible for Cash or ATM transactions)
It would help if highlights of threads could be sticky at the top.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
It would help if highlights of threads could be sticky at the top.
Give it a few days and it will be on MMS or Romsdeals.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Might as well start a wikipost in this thread...I guess that would be to easy for the cardinals to read though...
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Give it a few days and it will be on MMS or Romsdeals.
+1, a little reading never killed anyone...
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Might as well start a wikipost in this thread...I guess that would be to easy for the cardinals to read though...
There's only a handful of cards - shouldn't take a wiki to keep it all straight.

Besides, it could be in flashing neon colors at the top of the page and people would still ask the same questions over and over again
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
No worries, cardinals only have time to read the last page :-)
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by jdl
Someone called Chase and asked. I can't find the source post and YMMV.
Fair enough, thanks. I couldn't find the original source either.

Now we need some brave volunteer (not me!) to buy $3k in a week and see what happens.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Fair enough, thanks. I couldn't find the original source either.

Now we need some brave volunteer (not me!) to buy $3k in a week and see what happens.
I purchased $2500 last week. It seemed to limit me to this...I'm not sure if it was because I reached the maximum amount of cards or $$. But, seeing how the highest denomination you can buy is $500 it still works out to a max purchase of 5 x $500 cards in a single transaction.

After that transaction went through I tried to purchase another $500 card just to see what would happen and got a message saying that I had reached the limit on that card.

So, the limit per card is obviously between $2500 and $3000 - so $2600 as reported elsewhere seems a fair bet.

Since the message returned was targeted at the card, I suspect that I could use my other chase cards to purchase more.

I didn't try to purchase anymore because I didn't really need to manufacture any spend right now and since $2500 in purchases from Chase only nets me 2500 points it wasn't worth pulling more in until I get some other ducks in a row...
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Thanks BenH, that is a helpful data point.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:40 pm

I have bought 22 chase gift cards on 5 different chase credit cards. It has stopped me from buying more on credit cards I have already used.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:05 pm

Are you guys buying 2X500 or just one $500 USB Visa GC per visit/checkout?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: Several dozen
As if we ain't watching you already. Fear and surprise, surprise and fear...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.