Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 3, 17, 2:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ds-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 5, 13, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by thorax View Post
Not sure that's very profitable either. It's a $2 fee, with a $100 limit a day, and a $1,000 limit per month.
Are you sure that fee and limits are applicable in-store because I thought those were on-line or by phone?
Old Apr 5, 13, 12:57 pm

Not sure that's very profitable either. It's a $2 fee, with a $100 limit a day, and a $1,000 limit per month.
If you go to Walmart, it's free.
Old Apr 5, 13, 12:58 pm

Just for record, I've been able to BB Debit Load (No Fee for In-store load) and able to buy MO's from same store. Not able to buy MO from PO - seen as cash advance (like ATM). Maybe it could be coded differently, so I wouldn't rule this out 100%. Was not able to buy VRs from the store that supposedly allows Debit Cards saying that it was against their store policy to buy $500 VRs with Debit - although I imagine you'll have success at other stores, since she seemed to be making up policy as she went.
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
If you go to Walmart, it's free.
Same limit, or higher?
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:04 pm

Programs: American Airlaines, Delta SkyMiles, United, BA, HH, Marriott, SPG, Priority Club

Fee and daily limit do not apply if you do it at Walmart
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:05 pm

Which credit cards get you 5X or even 3X at grocery stores?
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
there is a citi thank you card that gives you 5x at gas, grocery and drug stores for the first year. the penfed platinum rewards gives 3x at grocery stores
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jeremyh11 View Post
Fee and daily limit do not apply if you do it at Walmart
Thank you.
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by aegt123 View Post
Which credit cards get you 5X or even 3X at grocery stores?
Amex BCP or BCE.

BofA cash rewards gives 2%, which I think helps you break even. You probably want to use that card only to meet spend for the easy 100 bucks.
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Bender464 View Post
Thank you.
So, folks have confirmed loading BB at Walmart with these cards and not having the 1k limit?

Nevermind, I saw the info about the limit. I was reading too fast.

Last edited by TheDapperDon; Apr 5, 13 at 1:11 pm Reason: answered my own question.
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon View Post
Amex BCP or BCE.

BofA cash rewards gives 2%, which I think helps you break even. You probably want to use that card only to meet spend for the easy 100 bucks.
Only if Chase Ink started giving out 5X at Grocery stores now.
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon View Post
So, folks have confirmed loading BB at Walmart with these cards and not having the 1k limit?
Not by me, yet. I but *think* it is 1K/5K total per calendar month per old thread.
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by nep301 View Post
there is a citi thank you card that gives you 5x at gas, grocery and drug stores for the first year. the penfed platinum rewards gives 3x at grocery stores
Disco and Freedom during categories, but only up to 1.5K each.
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by st.exupery View Post
Looks like you can add a PIN for ordinary Vanilla GCs. Wondering if anyone has tried the PIN feature w. BB/Walmart or money orders, thanks
https://www.vanillavisa.com/home.htm...ard&csrfToken=
I don't see where a PIN can be added on that website.
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
I don't see where a PIN can be added on that website.
How do I select a PIN for the Card?

While a PIN is not required to use your Card, for your convenience, you may add a PIN to your Card. Simply select a 4-digit PIN of your choice during your first debit, or PIN, transaction. The PIN that you enter at the register will be your PIN for all future PIN transactions.
What do I do if I forget my PIN?

Don't worry; your Card can always be used for credit transactions without a PIN. But, if you would like to clear your PIN, you may do so by calling the customer service number on the back of your Card or by logging into this website with your Card number and choosing "Manage PIN". Once you have cleared your PIN, you will need to select a new 4-digit PIN of your choice during the next use of your card for a PIN transaction.

https://www.vanillavisa.com/faq.html

Search this Thread