Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
My WM updated the POS sometime last year, so to me it's new

This is what mine POS looks like:
Attachment 7865

Attachment 7866

Attachment 7867
Can I do this process? If I want to spilt my payment using 4x200$ MCGC ?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by sendlena
Can I do this process? If I want to spilt my payment using 4x200$ MCGC ?
At WM?

yes, make sure you swipe first before CSR enters amount (or hits enter), otherwise, it defaults to credit.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: United
Shopping at WINCO

Hey All, I cant seem to find an answer to this online so I'm going to ask here. I shop at WINCO here in California. They take cash, checks, and debit cards but not credit cards. I'd like to earn mileageplus miles on my Grocery purchases on my chase card but obviously I can't because they don't accept credit cards.

If I understand right, I can buy visa gift cards that have PIN numbers and use them as a debit card. Has anyone successfully used a VGC at Winco? I am NOT buying MO's, just groceries

Sorry for the newbie questions
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by svirfnebli
Hey All, I cant seem to find an answer to this online so I'm going to ask here. I shop at WINCO here in California. They take cash, checks, and debit cards but not credit cards. I'd like to earn mileageplus miles on my Grocery purchases on my chase card but obviously I can't because they don't accept credit cards.

If I understand right, I can buy visa gift cards that have PIN numbers and use them as a debit card. Has anyone successfully used a VGC at Winco? I am NOT buying MO's, just groceries

Sorry for the newbie questions
No sorry it doesn't work like that. You can get groceries though.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by svirfnebli
if you buy the $500 VGCs and you can't use them all in one or two shopping trips, keep in mind that the risk of your card getting hacked will be higher. There are already reports of VGCs getting hacked right after they're activated, and those who use them for everyday spend found unauthorized charges sooner or later, which they have to dispute with the issuer.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by DL172
No sorry it doesn't work like that. You can get groceries though.
?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:23 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Just to be clear do vanilla flavored drug store VGC have PIN that work at PO for MO?
thanks
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by frank_10b
Just to be clear do vanilla flavored drug store VGC have PIN that work at PO for MO?
thanks
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...st-office.html
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:14 am

Whats the cheapest way to currently liquidate VGC/MCGC? Load to serve or MO? Whats easier to do when you have multiple VGC/MCFC? TIA im still new to this
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Please continue this discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ds-2017-a.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.