Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Haleyb
I'm having issues with 10 of these.
All $100 US Bank bought at SW.
Have all paperwork. PIN set.
I get an error every time I try to use them as debit. "Not a debit card" or "card not recognized" or error 75.

US Bank says the card looks fine from their side and there are no holds. They can see failed evolve payment attempts as authorized transactions for $0.

I'm very frustrated. Not sure what my best option is?
This is a known issue. MC from SW is not working with Evolve.
No problems with BB.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:50 am

How quickly after you buy a gift card can you load bluebird at walmart? Can I buy at staples and drive across the street and load? I've been doing it the next day just to be sure but if I can save myself a trip and do it right away that would be optimal.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by stils
How quickly after you buy a gift card can you load bluebird at walmart? Can I buy at staples and drive across the street and load? I've been doing it the next day just to be sure but if I can save myself a trip and do it right away that would be optimal.
Depends, sometimes they are active immediately, sometimes they take a bit. You could always just call to confirm balance and if its there, go across the street, if its not, go home and go next day. In my experience Im at about 100% for them being active immediately. I beleive I had 2 cards once from staples that didnt activate immediately, but its pretty rare for me.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by stils
Can I buy at staples and drive across the street and load?
I've done this.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by skimtastic
Went to three Wally's and they all rejected Visa to load BB. All three as late of last week allowed them before, but now they consider it money laundering. Luckily the 4th wally had a kate that was working and had no issues.
How did all 3 stores know what you were using?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Guys / Gals, Let's face it, when anyone says they want to split the payment in $500 chunks, the clerk probably knows what is happening. How many people have 4 different debit accounts? As for loading BB, it is somewhat more believable that you are using a real debit card to load BB. But in reality, why would most people do so?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by deant
Guys / Gals, Let's face it, when anyone says they want to split the payment in $500 chunks, the clerk probably knows what is happening. How many people have 4 different debit accounts? As for loading BB, it is somewhat more believable that you are using a real debit card to load BB. But in reality, why would most people do so?
I have 4 different debit account....doesn't everyone

BofA personal, BofA joint, Schwab, CapitalOne360 (ex-ING)
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Recently i purchased 6 OVs from a CVS. Went to a Walmart and was only able to unload 5 of them as the 6th wasnt properly activated. Called Incomm and they asked me to send the back up. I called today after 4 days and was notified that the claim has been denied because of suspicious activity. Basically they said that all 5 cards that were activated were used in Walmart and this card was also swiped, thus it looks like suspicious activity. I argued for a bit with the person on the phone but at the end of the day he said it was something compliance told them. Now i have to wait until tomorrow to call back when they can potentially let me talk to them to clarify the situation. what a pain in the back side....
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:49 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by deant
One time the cashier at WM asked me if I am breaking it up into $500 chunks because my bank is limiting the amount per transaction. I said yes. I wasn't lying, because the bank that issues the gift cards is limiting them to $500 each.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
One time the cashier at WM asked me if I am breaking it up into $500 chunks because my bank is limiting the amount per transaction. I said yes. I wasn't lying, because the bank that issues the gift cards is limiting them to $500 each.
I've used the same reason... then the last time at WM the CSR said "oh there's the other guy that does the same thing as you." Pretty sure they are aware and don't care.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
If i'm loading $ to my BB and i'm using Visa GC, do i need to follow this step? I"m assuming it MC only...

Before the cashier makes the move, you have to press the "cancel" button on the display screen. That's the trick. You will have just a second or two to react. So, be ready to press "cancel" as soon as you swipe your mastercard gift card. If you have new swipe machine, it might show you "change payment" along with "cancel" option. In this case, try "change payment".
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by mayday23
If i'm loading $ to my BB and i'm using Visa GC, do i need to follow this step? I"m assuming it MC only...

Before the cashier makes the move, you have to press the "cancel" button on the display screen. That's the trick. You will have just a second or two to react. So, be ready to press "cancel" as soon as you swipe your mastercard gift card. If you have new swipe machine, it might show you "change payment" along with "cancel" option. In this case, try "change payment".

no for visa,

yes for mc
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:07 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I tried a USBank MC with the new color terminal last week, and there was no "Cancel" or "change payment" option. It just didn't go through. I'm not sure if the cashier did something, but I switched to a Visa because I didn't want to make a scene.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
I tried a USBank MC with the new color terminal last week, and there was no "Cancel" or "change payment" option. It just didn't go through. I'm not sure if the cashier did something, but I switched to a Visa because I didn't want to make a scene.
Did you try to use more than one MC GC in one transaction by any chance? I have had a hard time doing so with MC.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by arsenalman
Recently i purchased 6 OVs from a CVS. Went to a Walmart and was only able to unload 5 of them as the 6th wasnt properly activated. Called Incomm and they asked me to send the back up. I called today after 4 days and was notified that the claim has been denied because of suspicious activity. Basically they said that all 5 cards that were activated were used in Walmart and this card was also swiped, thus it looks like suspicious activity. I argued for a bit with the person on the phone but at the end of the day he said it was something compliance told them. Now i have to wait until tomorrow to call back when they can potentially let me talk to them to clarify the situation. what a pain in the back side....
Sorry to hear that, was it resolved?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.