Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Did the "BB problems all day" of April 3 carry into April 4? I went to WM, kiosk was working, I tried to reload my BB with an OV card and a Metabank VGC. With either card the kiosk would ask me for the PIN, I would enter the PIN and it would just keep asking for the PIN over and over again. No error message no nothing, just kept reprompting for PIN. I'll have to try again another day. Anyone else had this happen to them?
Yes. That usually indicates a problem with the kiosk.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by crzn
No CVS near me. So I have been doing the birthday cake cards at Wal-Mart with no problem to meet the 10K spend on the new AA card. Went in today to load my last gift card to the BB but got "DEBIT NOT APPROVED CALL AUTHORIZER" Tried it twice with the same error. Hope this is not a bad sign. Just checked online and the card has a balance of $500. Anyone have a similar problem? Any suggestions? I guess the worst case I just use the GC for regular spend. But I am hoping to MS some points on my C.Carlson card.
I had the same problem yesterday afternoon. I was wondering if it was an issue with my VCG's so I had them try my Suntrust debit card. Same result. Then when I looked at my suntrust bank account I could see a pending debit of $200 and a pending credit of $200; however, my VCG's showed no transactions as having occurred when I later checked the balances online.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Churrro
I had the same problem yesterday afternoon. I was wondering if it was an issue with my VCG's so I had them try my Suntrust debit card. Same result. Then when I looked at my suntrust bank account I could see a pending debit of $200 and a pending credit of $200; however, my VCG's showed no transactions as having occurred when I later checked the balances online.
Used VGC for MO today at WM. No problems.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
No, $4.95 is usual -- OV, VGC. Some are $5.95.
Grocery stores do not sell OV and I have never seen a VGC at a grocer for $4.95
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by skibum7732
Grocery stores do not sell OV and I have never seen a VGC at a grocer for $4.95
That's a pretty generic statement. Have you tried every grocery store in the United States?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
never heard of them, where are they safeway or frys? are they a fixed amount or varaible amount?
Safeway:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...eway-vons.html
Old Apr 5, 2014, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by crzn
No CVS near me. So I have been doing the birthday cake cards at Wal-Mart with no problem to meet the 10K spend on the new AA card. Went in today to load my last gift card to the BB but got "DEBIT NOT APPROVED CALL AUTHORIZER" Tried it twice with the same error. Hope this is not a bad sign. Just checked online and the card has a balance of $500. Anyone have a similar problem? Any suggestions? I guess the worst case I just use the GC for regular spend. But I am hoping to MS some points on my C.Carlson card.
Worked fine today
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
You make good points. I just don't think that the bloggers needed to send more and more folks to CVS to by beans when we had a good thing going.

We do know what led to the removal. The fees were higher for the cards. They could charge more fees because so many people were buying them. More people were buying them because folks in bowties were telling them how easy it was.
That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at is that people who have been doing it for years are greedy. If they would have just used MS to meet minimum spend and stopped being greedy buying VRs for years then we'd still have CVS. Let's be honest you care about you, that's not bad. In fact it's perfectly fine, but don't get mad at others for helping themselves as well (bloggers, new MSers).
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Used the machine to load bb last night...no reciept, screen showed succes so continued. Had the lady at the customer service desk yelling at me that the machine was broken and I acknowledged her and kept on. Checked BB and all fine.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Churrro
Anyone else running into trouble with this? I have a variable load US Bank $500 Visa (from Kroger) that isn't loading at kiosk or with a cashier. No pending transactions on line - verified $500 is on it. Getting Debit not available message. Tried two days at two locations.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by horseymen
Anyone else running into trouble with this? I have a variable load US Bank $500 Visa (from Kroger) that isn't loading at kiosk or with a cashier. No pending transactions on line - verified $500 is on it. Getting Debit not available message. Tried two days at two locations.
It happened to me today. For BP and BB. I was using an OV.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:56 pm

Hopefully a Monday morning bump..

Has anyone succesfully loaded a US Bank Visa card - and when? I have a $500 variable that I bought from Kroger, and 10 100 dollar ones that I also bought from Kroger, and none of them are working kiosk or cashier.

I did a pretty thorough search, and US Bank didn't come up on commonly discussed failed debit threads, and I also checked popular blogs and comments - and there were some data points there were issues with this card last year when cards first became PIN-able, but nothing recently. With as many people that double dip with Kroger fuel points, I hope someone has a recent data point.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hopefully a Monday morning bump..

Has anyone succesfully loaded a US Bank Visa card - and when? I have a $500 variable that I bought from Kroger, and 10 100 dollar ones that I also bought from Kroger, and none of them are working kiosk or cashier.

I did a pretty thorough search, and US Bank didn't come up on commonly discussed failed debit threads, and I also checked popular blogs and comments - and there were some data points there were issues with this card last year when cards first became PIN-able, but nothing recently. With as many people that double dip with Kroger fuel points, I hope someone has a recent data point.
Have you called the number on the back of the card and talked to CRS about this???
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Have you called the number on the back of the card and talked to CRS about this???
Isn't rule #1 of fight club not to talk about fight club?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Isn't rule #1 of fight club not to talk about fight club?

Sigh.... I would call the number and say, I'm trying to use the card with the pin and the transaction wont go through. You do not have to tell them what you are doing...

BTW, been in this game far to long to be told able the stupid fight club..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.