Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by deadlycfx
Also, can we do multiple gift cards payment at the kiosk? I have some Metabank Visa from the OM deals.
First, don't use the kiosk for MO's it never seems to work, also why would you want to spend .68 for a $500 MO when you can do the same thing at the CS desk for $1000 MO..
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
First, don't use the kiosk for MO's it never seems to work, also why would you want to spend .68 for a $500 MO when you can do the same thing at the CS desk for $1000 MO..
At my Walmart, there is an average of 10 minute wait at CS Desk. So the small money savings isn't worth the additional time and effort of dealing with someone.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
At my Walmart, there is an average of 10 minute wait at CS Desk. So the small money savings isn't worth the additional time and effort of dealing with someone.
you got a busy WM
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:00 am

you got a busy WM
Have people had any recent problems buying MOs with many GCs (5x200 or 10x100)? Or does it tend to still be ok?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
Have people had any recent problems buying MOs with many GCs (5x200 or 10x100)? Or does it tend to still be ok?
WM limits it to 4 swipes so the largest practical amount is $2k with fees per transaction. I had luck doing 2 transactions in one visit, maybe more is possible....it's not clear what the rules are and every store might have different enforcement.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Id Love it if I only had a 10 min wait time, its usually a heck of alot longer.Its not in order to save .70 that I put up with Wally but if I got 500 MOs instead of 1000s it would mean depositing twice as many MOs and I prefer to keep it as few as possible So until I find another place that will issue $1k MOs Wally gets my biz and time
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atxtravel
WM limits it to 4 swipes so the largest practical amount is $2k with fees per transaction. I had luck doing 2 transactions in one visit, maybe more is possible....it's not clear what the rules are and every store might have different enforcement.
If the money center is open at my WM and there's no line, I do 2 $1000 MOs and then 2 again if I have that many GCs.

When it's closed I only do 1 order of 2 $1000s at the service desk because they have to go all the way to the MC to fetch the MO and key in the last 4 digits, and then do it again. I try to be considerate.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
Id Love it if I only had a 10 min wait time, its usually a heck of alot longer.Its not in order to save .70 that I put up with Wally but if I got 500 MOs instead of 1000s it would mean depositing twice as many MOs and I prefer to keep it as few as possible So until I find another place that will issue $1k MOs Wally gets my biz and time
Same here. My bank is so used to the Wally's MO look, then when occasionally I threw in the grocery store type (thanks to the MCGC that had serious issues at WM but very easy at Winn Dixie), my tellers took a double take on them.

Once in a long while I could walk in a WM without line, and that would be a treat. Most of the time though, it is a multiple of 10 min. However, with the volumes it is just easier to deal with WM then using the grocery stores which charge $0.89 per $500 in my area!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Fred Meyer (maybe other Kroger brands?) does $1000 for $.79.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:19 pm

Thanks for tip. I was just testing the water out on how this work and don't want to deal with CS desk. I guess I will have to go to CS.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ArmyFlyer05
Fred Meyer (maybe other Kroger brands?) does $1000 for $.79.
I thought all Krogers were limited to $750 on MO's, you are lucky
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I thought all Krogers were limited to $750 on MO's, you are lucky
Krogers MO limit is $1K in my area.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weird. If I don't log in first, I can't get to the last page of this thread. It keeps sending me back to a much earlier page.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I do not know if this has been reported before (but probably has).

I received a $25 Simon Malls Visa Giftcard. Calling up, I was given the pin for this card. I attempted to use it in 2 different stores, one an Aldi's and the second a Walmart.
I purchased an inexpensive item and attempted to get cash while using the gift card to pay for the item. Neither store would allow me to do that. However, I was able to purchase the item using the PIN without the cash withdrawal.So the PIN is only good in stores such as ALDIs that takes debit but not CCs.

My conclusion was that although Simon Giftcards by US Bank have a pin, it is for all intent and purposes worthless for obtaining cash at the point of purchase.
Furthermore, with WM restricting you to 4 swipes (at $25/card a total of only $100), these $25 GCs are not a viable option for the purchase of MOs either, even presuming that they could be used for such an event (and I did not test it to find out.)
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, US, SW, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors
Has anyone else been asked to provide a SSN when getting a MO a Kroger? I've gotten dozens of MOs over the last 4-5 months at this same location, almost always $2k at a time (4 swipes). Yesterday I bumped up my request to $3k, and was subsequently ask to provide my DL, (only the second time this request has ever been made), and as she was inputting the amounts in the Western Union machine, she requested my SSN. The CSM indicated they have new equipment and it was prompting her for this info.

Curious if this is a new thing, or just a one-off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.