Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
lol. People get very excited when they see the cards are in stock.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:10 am

Think there is a market for a MS pinup calendar with all the hottest reload products? You know, bare gift cards torn out of their packaging and being swiped hard through the register... I'll be right back.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:04 pm

It's starting to get annoying, just picked up 30 more cards and 4 of them are almost unswipeable. Trying to remove this stuff isn't fun either
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by whitesol
It's starting to get annoying, just picked up 30 more cards and 4 of them are almost unswipeable. Trying to remove this stuff isn't fun either
Sounds suspiciously like the fraudulent grocery store gift cards that people were reporting in SoCal - go to the August 28 posts:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fina...0841/?start=40
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
You guys have some terrible jokes. Keep them... coming
Old Jan 12, 2014, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Wonko
Sounds suspiciously like the fraudulent grocery store gift cards that people were reporting in SoCal - go to the August 28 posts:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fina...0841/?start=40
Thanks for the info, i'm in Norcal so maybe they migrated up here. I never had an issue unloading them rather quickly (24-48 hours) so maybe i'll make it a point to do them the same day just in case.

This really has me worried though as I know all 30 were sealed inside the card rack, I had to ask someone to check inside for them since there weren't any hanging on the rack. A manager opened it up and gave me 3 "sealed" stacks of 10. (Sealed as in the flimsy plastic wrapping that they come in)
Old Jan 12, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: United, AA, Avianca
Thanks for the info, i'm in Norcal so maybe they migrated up here. I never had an issue unloading them rather quickly (24-48 hours) so maybe i'll make it a point to do them the same day just in case.

This really has me worried though as I know all 30 were sealed inside the card rack, I had to ask someone to check inside for them since there weren't any hanging on the rack. A manager opened it up and gave me 3 "sealed" stacks of 10. (Sealed as in the flimsy plastic wrapping that they come in)
DOn't they find it odd that you're buying 3 stacks of 10 VGCs?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by fulthrust7
DOn't they find it odd that you're buying 3 stacks of 10 VGCs?
Nah, at OM they take in your DL information if you buy 2k or more, this store is used to me by now. I come in my company shirt and tie, one of the associates even asked me one day if my company raffles them off as sales incentives, I said yup and they have never asked since.

Last edited by whitesol; Jan 13, 2014 at 2:47 am
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:11 pm

anyone know how long until a hold falls off of a MetaBank VGC when the transaction is aborted?

I went to get a 1K MO and used this card first. Problem with the second card, so CSM aborts the transaction, says that the 500 went back to my first card. I ask for a $499.30 MO, but now it declines the transaction. I'm hoping that this is just a matter of waiting a few days until the hold from the first attempt falls off. Anyone have experience with such a situation?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hilton C, Marriott Pt, Delta Pt
Read here:

https://mygift.giftcardmall.com/Term...tCard/Metabank
Or a copy of TOC insert can be found in every pouch of GC if you have good vision.

Luckily I have yet to experience this with Meta GCs but IIRC AMEX GCs took about a week to drop temporary hold(s). Plan ahead and always have a back-up plan(s). You should have had another GC or your own debit card ready to go in case like this.

Lesson learned. Move on.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:09 pm

Just to make sure I'm on the same page, the cheapest $500 Visa Gift Cards cost $5.95?

Where are they available at? I know they are available at my local supermarket but is there a major chain store (CVS, Staples, Office Max, Office Depot etc) they are available from?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by prokopon
anyone know how long until a hold falls off of a MetaBank VGC when the transaction is aborted?

I went to get a 1K MO and used this card first. Problem with the second card, so CSM aborts the transaction, says that the 500 went back to my first card. I ask for a $499.30 MO, but now it declines the transaction. I'm hoping that this is just a matter of waiting a few days until the hold from the first attempt falls off. Anyone have experience with such a situation?
Just to give you a heads up if the hold doesn't come off, you will need to file a dispute. I did this back in November and it actually wasn't that bad of a situation.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Nah, at OM they take in your DL information if you buy 2k or more, this store is used to me by now. I come in my company shirt and tie, one of the associates even asked me one day if my company raffles them off as sales incentives, I said yup and they have never asked since.
I would be very careful about doing that. Even if it seems like it was just casual conversation, they may be recording your response for their own records or for federal reporting purposes. If you trigger any alarms and someone investigates you, the fact that you lied is going to make it very difficult for you to get them to believe your explanation later on.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:35 pm

Smile

Ty, but I'm not too worried, this was months ago when they asked and I really do buy them for my company to raffle off sometimes, just replace the $200 cards to $25, and 3k at a time to $50. Oh and from my ink card to the companies citi card
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cowboyguy
Just to make sure I'm on the same page, the cheapest $500 Visa Gift Cards cost $5.95?

Where are they available at? I know they are available at my local supermarket but is there a major chain store (CVS, Staples, Office Max, Office Depot etc) they are available from?
yes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.