Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by oracles4444
1- is this true that it will come back on and
Where, what date, and what time did she say the card had already been used ?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....I spoke to a representative and she said it will reappear in 10 days.....
Sounds like there was no charge but an authorization which expires after 10 days.@:-)
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I went to Walmart today to load my BB with a Metabank Visa GC.

I thought all you had to do was punch in the last 4 digit but it did not work.

It gave me an error stating payment alternate something.

So i called the number on the back and then set up the pin number.

I tried using it again for loading my BB but it gave me again error stating payment alternate something.

I called the number on the back and the money was missing. I spoke to a representative and she said it will reappear in 10 days.

1- is this true that it will come back on and
2- will it take 10 days to reappear?

Thanks everyone for your responses.
sounds like a double skip lock up
ie something in the system tried to say NO and instantly refund the GC.
I am guessing at this but it sounds like it as I have seen similar things in my travels. (But I have never nor will I ever try to load a GC to a BB at WMT. I would just go the easy route and get a MO!)

If they did try to auto return the funds then yes, it could take up to 2 weeks to see them. Although in some cases it takes much longer. On the Chase GCs, the refunds could happen within days. And on a regular debit card it could be overnight. So you do not want to enter into situations where something tries to refund a GC. that is, unless you can float the money for a while.

good luck!
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I am guessing at this but it sounds like it as I have seen similar things in my travels. (But I have never nor will I ever try to load a GC to a BB at WMT. I would just go the easy route and get a MO!)

If they did try to auto return the funds then yes, it could take up to 2 weeks to see them. Although in some cases it takes much longer. On the Chase GCs, the refunds could happen within days. And on a regular debit card it could be overnight. So you do not want to enter into situations where something tries to refund a GC. that is, unless you can float the money for a while.

good luck!
sounds easier done then it may be in many locations. Ive gotten hit with the DC card please and the employee has their hand out expecting me to put it into her hand. It used to be alot easier using GCs for MOs. alot are checking to make sure your name is on the card and ask for pic ID as well and that the DC isnt a GC

Then since the GCs at max are $200 youd need to swipe 4 of them hope they all work otherwise curtains for ya, and all you get is a $800 MO. At least when Chase was in play swipe 2 and get a $1k MO was reasonable.

With all the problems and extreme slowness of the kyosks Ive turned to the reg cashiers if the lines arent long, that way the MC folks didnt see me hanging around for along time and think somethings fishy and after loading the bird I can stop by the MC on my way out and get my MOs with my MVD
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by craz
sounds easier done then it may be in many locations. Ive gotten hit with the DC card please and the employee has their hand out expecting me to put it into her hand. It used to be alot easier using GCs for MOs. alot are checking to make sure your name is on the card and ask for pic ID as well and that the DC isnt a GC

Then since the GCs at max are $200 youd need to swipe 4 of them hope they all work otherwise curtains for ya, and all you get is a $800 MO. At least when Chase was in play swipe 2 and get a $1k MO was reasonable.

With all the problems and extreme slowness of the kyosks Ive turned to the reg cashiers if the lines arent long, that way the MC folks didnt see me hanging around for along time and think somethings fishy and after loading the bird I can stop by the MC on my way out and get my MOs with my MVD

stamps and stickers
there are ways around this but yes, it is easier in some areas.
do you not have some supermarkets in your area that will do MOs too?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man

good luck!
Thanks for the response.

There really isn't anything else i can do but to wait. I just hope it doesn't take 10 days and it will return sooner.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:27 am

I can get Discover prepaid debit card with no fees.
I called and set the pin as the last 4 digits but it does not seem to be working at bluebird kiosk.
Any idea what I need to do?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:45 am

Data point: $200 MC from staples bought last night and loaded this morning at kiosk. Business as usual.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by xoxx
I called and set the pin as the last 4 digits but it does not seem to be working at bluebird kiosk.
Any idea what I need to do?
Yes, you should read this thread (or even just the title).
PINs are for Visa and MC only
Old Nov 9, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Unfortunate turn of events:
WM registers. Metabank VGC $200 fixed, pin is last four.

1. Load to BB attempt. Card 1. Swiped, last four entered. Saw approved message on pin pad. Then pause and instead of reciept printing as usual, got short slip:
DEBIT NOT APPROVED CALL AUTHORIZER

2. Load to BB attempt. Card 2. Different register.
Result - 100% the same as #1.

3. Normal purchase with one of the above cards. Asked for cash advance, entered last four as pin. I.e. went as a Debit transaction. Success!

Conclusion: WM system/Reload system/GC issuer's back end started to recognize the situation and decline transaction.

EDIT: my mistake. Maxed day limit with beans before that.

Last edited by pier11; Nov 9, 2013 at 8:49 pm
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by pier11
Unfortunate turn of events:
WM registers. Metabank VGC $200 fixed, pin is last four.

1. Load to BB attempt. Card 1. Swiped, last four entered. Saw approved message on pin pad. Then pause and instead of reciept printing as usual, got short slip:
DEBIT NOT APPROVED CALL AUTHORIZER

2. Load to BB attempt. Card 2. Different register.
Result - 100% the same as #1.

3. Normal purchase with one of the above cards. Asked for cash advance, entered last four as pin. I.e. went as a Debit transaction. Success!

Conclusion: WM system/Reload system/GC issuer's back end started to recognize the situation and decline transaction.
I loaded 4x200 variable ($20-$200) MetaBank VGCs from Best Buy to my BB today, no issues. A few hours earlier a CSR at another WM told me they weren't loading BBs because they were having problems - yours may have been an issue on the BB side and a misleading error message returned.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by Wonko
I loaded 4x200 variable ($20-$200) MetaBank VGCs from Best Buy to my BB today, no issues. A few hours earlier a CSR at another WM told me they weren't loading BBs because they were having problems - yours may have been an issue on the BB side and a misleading error message returned.
Just realized. My mistake. Didn't keep in mind that I loaded couple of beans already on my long way to WM.
Sky is not falling. Everything is back to normal.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by xoxx
I called and set the pin as the last 4 digits but it does not seem to be working at bluebird kiosk. Any idea what I need to do?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...gift-card.html
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:44 pm

I used to be able to load VGC to. BB at kiosk. However, now the kiosk will ask me to put in additional long-digit pin after I put in the 4digit pin. I remember someone has reported the same issue, just don't remember whether there is a solution for this. Any advice is appreciated.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:50 am

Was trying to use a $200 vanilla visa (got from walmart's website) to reload my bluebird card today at the kiosk but kept on getting an error. Sorry for being a newb but are there any tips to using these?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.