Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by ddavid1101
Quick question guys...
I know there is a 1.5K limit over a period of X minutes on the Walmart kiosk for MOs...
Whats that X minute before it resets and dont require an override? Anyone know or can at least let me know how long they usually wait before its confirmed to reset?
2K is the limit. If you hit 2K it will lock. 1999.99 will not lock it. Wait 10 minutes and the limit resets.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:15 am

new user on this forum.

so, I was able to use these VISA/MC a month or two ago by doing purchases at the local grocery stores and getting actual cash back with a purchase (using the debit pin). I tried doing this this week at 3 different stores.. and it's a no go.. I guess VISA/MC stopped allowing this.

also, I tried hitting 2 walmarts. only 1 had one of those "money" machines.. but the "MO" service said was temporarily unavailable.. is this the limit issue people are talking about? 2nd walmart had no such machine. so I tried the Money Center.. guy said the debit gift cards just don't work.. I'd swipe the card, it would show "CANCEL" for like 1 second.. but then the next screen came up letting me choose ATM/DEBIT, which I did. It just didn't work.

Last attempt was my local Fry's Food (Kroger). I asked the lady at cust service if I could buy a MO with a DEBIT card.. she said "sure". And it worked easy as pie... was also just $.49 for the MO fee.

Question: What's the purpose of these VISA/MC (I guess USBank issued, etc) in preventing from getting the actual cash value back? I mean, they are already making the $5-6 per gift card purchased?

Also, why would Walmart not allow using these debit gift cards to buy MOs .. or some do and some don't? do they lose out somehow? Sorry for the newb question.

Slightly Off Topic: It really is just money moving around electronically.. shouldn't one be able to go into a bank and do a checking account deposit using another bank's debit card? Why must purchasing "goods/services" be required?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by ddavid1101
Quick question guys...
I know there is a 1.5K limit over a period of X minutes on the Walmart kiosk for MOs...
Whats that X minute before it resets and dont require an override? Anyone know or can at least let me know how long they usually wait before its confirmed to reset?
"Believe only half of what you think you know." - Socrates.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:23 am
wcj

[QUOTE=bonflier;21148635]new user on this forum.

so, I was able to use these VISA/MC a month or two ago by doing purchases at the local grocery stores and getting actual cash back with a purchase (using the debit pin). I tried doing this this week at 3 different stores.. and it's a no go.. I guess VISA/MC stopped allowing this.

also, I tried hitting 2 walmarts. only 1 had one of those "money" machines.. but the "MO" service said was temporarily unavailable.. is this the limit issue people are talking about? 2nd walmart had no such machine. so I tried the Money Center.. guy said the debit gift cards just don't work.. I'd swipe the card, it would show "CANCEL" for like 1 second.. but then the next screen came up letting me choose ATM/DEBIT, which I did. It just didn't work.

Last attempt was my local Fry's Food (Kroger). I asked the lady at cust service if I could buy a MO with a DEBIT card.. she said "sure". And it worked easy as pie... was also just $.49 for the MO fee.

Question: What's the purpose of these VISA/MC (I guess USBank issued, etc) in preventing from getting the actual cash value back? I mean, they are already making the $5-6 per gift card purchased?

Also, why would Walmart not allow using these debit gift cards to buy MOs .. or some do and some don't? do they lose out somehow? Sorry for the newb question.

Do you see the difference between your attempt at WM and your success at Kroger? WM knew you were trying to use visa debit cards. Why in the world you would tell them, I don't understand. This is just like the lady I saw a couple of weeks back call the manager over because she couldn't get a MO from the kiosk with her stack of GCs, prominently displayed on the machine. She made absolutely no attempt to do it on her own, just called the manager over......Surprisingly, she was unable to do...... The employees, can and will decline them for you. Just tell them you are using a debit card and it works fine. Go back and try again
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by cashback
2K is the limit. If you hit 2K it will lock. 1999.99 will not lock it. Wait 10 minutes and the limit resets.
Thank you sir! Will test it out tonight
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by bonflier
They want your swipes (signature purchase). That makes money to them.
If you just cash it all back, they will get nearly nothing from it. Also cheaper pin transaction will be involved (as opposite to pricier signature one).
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ctbarron
Interesting. I loaded my GB card at noon today and did not see the BB button. Still said Walmart Moneycard or whatever.
I'm in the southeast. I just bought one there the other day. The software looks to have been updated. I'm interested to see if anyone else has seen this.

I'm disappointed because I didn't want to have to go to a human to make my purchases and have additional scrutiny. I loaded my funds onto GB and kept it moving.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:54 am

new user on this forum.

Slightly Off Topic: It really is just money moving around electronically.. shouldn't one be able to go into a bank and do a checking account deposit using another bank's debit card? Why must purchasing "goods/services" be required?
Welcome to the forum. The cash back part of your story is interesting. Can you tell us who issued the card you were using, and what store it was that you got cash back from?

The "limit" issue for the money orders is the dollar limit of $2K, beyond which the machine will not let you load anything. Remember that your GC is a DEBIT card, do not refer to it as a gift card, nor flash it around or show it to the cashier. It's got a pin, it's a debit card. Says debit right on the card.

The card companies make more on credit (signature) purchases than debit (PIN) purchases. They want you to use the card slow and steady for signature purchases. Incidentally, Visa GCs are reportedly much easier to use for debit transactions than MC cards.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
new user on this forum.

Welcome to the forum.

In regards to your cash back, I too would like to know who gave you cash back? However, I find it interesting when I'm loading the GC on to my BBs, I am asked if I want cash back, I guess I should try and see I can get money back..

In regards to going to the bank and depositing it directly, I don't know why it would work, why not give it a try and let us know how it goes.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:41 pm

I mean, they are already making the $5-6 per gift card purchased ?
No, they are not
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:52 pm

Programs: UNited American
I bought that staples $200 MC that had the fifteen dollar gift card with it. Registered on line. Then called in to set pin. Tried again this evening at wm to use with bill pay. Have been trying for two weeks to get darn thing to work....Any tips??? Thanks
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by StuckinKC
I bought that staples $200 MC that had the fifteen dollar gift card with it. Registered on line. Then called in to set pin. Tried again this evening at wm to use with bill pay. Have been trying for two weeks to get darn thing to work....Any tips??? Thanks
Check out post #1976.

Went ahead and added link to the wikipost as well. (top of page)
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by lad2
Check out post #1976.

Went ahead and added link to the wikipost as well. (top of page)
Some of the MCs just don't work and I have no idea why. I went into WM with 9 MC's yesterday, 8 of them worked (and I've been doing a few hundred MC's up to now) while 1 of them just wouldn't work using the exact same methods I've been using for the past few months. Last month I also had 1 with similar issue but after about a couple days it just worked fine. Haven't had a chance to try again this time though.

Visa's are always easier, but sometimes the MC's have promotion this is a risk one has to take when dealing with MC's
Old Jul 27, 2013, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by vtqanh
Some of the MCs just don't work and I have no idea why. I went into WM with 9 MC's yesterday, 8 of them worked (and I've been doing a few hundred MC's up to now) while 1 of them just wouldn't work using the exact same methods I've been using for the past few months. Last month I also had 1 with similar issue but after about a couple days it just worked fine. Haven't had a chance to try again this time though.

Visa's are always easier, but sometimes the MC's have promotion this is a risk one has to take when dealing with MC's
then if stuck with several of these, use them to purchase a working GC and eat the fees and NEVER get the ones that dont work again.

Not really sure why people are bothering with MC GC to begin with
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Not really sure why people are bothering with MC GC to begin with
Recent Staples rebate would be one of the reasons...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.