Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 3, 17, 2:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ds-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jul 15, 13, 6:33 pm

Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
Wow just discovered the kiosk. That is so much easier than interacting with a WM employee.

The sketchy part is when I go to BOA and put all the cash in the ATM. All the people are waiting in line to GET cash, and I'm in front of them putting 3500 in 20's into the machine. They presumably think I'm a drug dealer or something.
Old Jul 15, 13, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BenH View Post
Now some of you may be like "wow - that's a lot of WG...how far did you drive?" With the exception of the first 2 which were within a 1 mile distance from my house, the rest were all within a 13-14 mile stretch of road between me and my destination.
For me, In a 10 mile strech there are 3 CVS's that have beans, and no problem using CC, Now if I go to WG on the same road (3 of them) they will only take cash... I also stop off at Three Fry's (krogers) on this same road and get GC, then stop off at WM (across the stree from the last frys.) From start to finish takes roughly 40 minutes.
Old Jul 15, 13, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo View Post
How did it feel driving around with basically $4500 in cash on ya?

As for the quality WalMart time, which is great, how about the quality time WG and WM employees waste on these transactions?

If these transactions seem to take 5-10 minutes (and I recently wasted that much time at Target trying to get the AMEX card there), how can they make any money on them? Labor isn't cheap, and the manager's time even more expensive. Just so we can have our miles and eat them too
I can load 2, $500 GC onto a BB in under 5 minutes. So for less than 10 minutes to load 2K isn't bad.
Old Jul 16, 13, 5:57 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by Delta2010 View Post
Hi all,

I am considering getting a MO from nearby Kroger tomorrow. I have a few CGC to unload and am already out of BB limit for the month. I have never gotten a MO from Kroger before. While searching this thread, I realized that quite a few ppl here have gotten MOs from Kroger. Just curious about a few questions so that I go there prepared tomorrow -

1. What is the $ limit per MO at Kroger?
2. What is the limit for no. of MO that I can get in one visit?
3. Fee associated with each MO?
4. Anything I need to be careful about when I approach the CSR?
Bump
Old Jul 16, 13, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Delta2010 View Post
Bump
My local Kroger doesn't allow MO purchase with debit. Cash only. I believe their fee is higher than Walmart which is $0.70 for up to $1000.
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:06 am

When you guys are loading $200 GCs at Wallmart kiosk.. do you select $200 in the kiosk and do 1 GC per transaction or do you select more and swipe few cards? I've always done 1 GC per transaction and that crap takes forever lol
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:11 am

Programs: DL, WoH, UA, AA
I know I haven't seen this question in this thread ever yet.

Been doing FAR staples deals for awhile now and just chose Staples Visa Debit Card as my rebate method.

Can they have pin set to them? I've called and chatted up staples, but they are clueless...Here's the text from staples rebate site. I have a $48 gift card coming my way.

"Why is the word "Debit" on the front of the card?
In response to Visa and MasterCard regulations, Issuers are required to label non-credit products with the term “Debit” after January 1, 2004. Although your card may have the word debit on it, please remember to push credit and sign for purchases to indicate you authorize your transaction."
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:31 am

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cronin85 View Post
When you guys are loading $200 GCs at Wallmart kiosk.. do you select $200 in the kiosk and do 1 GC per transaction or do you select more and swipe few cards? I've always done 1 GC per transaction and that crap takes forever lol
Unfortunately, the kiosk only allows 1 card per transaction. Yes, it does take a while, but you can take some comfort in the fact that I've got a shoebox with about 150 $200 cards that were drained at the kiosk
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:40 am

LOL, what are you saving them for?

Originally Posted by kjgco View Post
Unfortunately, the kiosk only allows 1 card per transaction. Yes, it does take a while, but you can take some comfort in the fact that I've got a shoebox with about 150 $200 cards that were drained at the kiosk
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:46 am

Yeaaa, I need to get a shoebox and save all of the receipts, etc... I've been throwing them away. I probably went thru about 100 of them, but about half went to MOs instead of the kiosk
Old Jul 16, 13, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by ricohitman View Post
I know I haven't seen this question in this thread ever yet.

Been doing FAR staples deals for awhile now and just chose Staples Visa Debit Card as my rebate method.

Can they have pin set to them? I've called and chatted up staples, but they are clueless...Here's the text from staples rebate site. I have a $48 gift card coming my way.

"Why is the word "Debit" on the front of the card?
In response to Visa and MasterCard regulations, Issuers are required to label non-credit products with the term “Debit” after January 1, 2004. Although your card may have the word debit on it, please remember to push credit and sign for purchases to indicate you authorize your transaction."
Visa debit card is the worst you can choose. Payment by check is always available for those rebates that offer Visa debit cards.
Old Jul 16, 13, 10:24 am

Programs: DL, WoH, UA, AA
Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
Visa debit card is the worst you can choose. Payment by check is always available for those rebates that offer Visa debit cards.
Ok...noted, BUT can a pin be set? I'm going to mess around with the rebate card when it comes. Try last 4, random 4, or calling a phone number...
Old Jul 16, 13, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I save all my stuff too including receipts just in case. Anyway I just did my first load of five $200 cards at WM kiosk the other day with no problem. I've read that the limit on the kiosk is something like $1500, is that the case? How many $200s can you load at kiosk before getting an error?
Old Jul 16, 13, 1:13 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by terpfan101 View Post
I save all my stuff too including receipts just in case. Anyway I just did my first load of five $200 cards at WM kiosk the other day with no problem. I've read that the limit on the kiosk is something like $1500, is that the case? How many $200s can you load at kiosk before getting an error?
I've loaded as much as $1999 using $200 cards on more than one occasion. I found out the hard way that the kiosk at my store locks up at $2K, but I don't know if that is corporate or store policy.
Old Jul 16, 13, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA scum/0.699MM, WN ALP/CP, Hyatt Diamond, MR/SPG Gold,Hertz PC, National EE, Carlson Silver
I've loaded as much as $1999 using $200 cards on more than one occasion. I found out the hard way that the kiosk at my store locks up at $2K, but I don't know if that is corporate or store policy.
And remember it's not just you. If there was someone there right before you, you could get locked out earlier. I got locked out after loading only 1k (i.e. I had loaded 1k and it locked out when I tried to do the next 500)

Search this Thread