Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:38 pm

The bean crop is poor this season around where I live, despite 5 local CVSs (once in a blue moon I find 1-2 beans at one), so I'm having trouble feeding the 'bird. Any suggestions on $500 visa GCs for feeding them at WM? I see mixed reports on Vanilla GCs, which are everywhere, but have had trouble finding other ones. Vons? Ralphs? Office stores? No Kroger locally.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by karlmitchell
The bean crop is poor this season around where I live, despite 5 local CVSs (once in a blue moon I find 1-2 beans at one), so I'm having trouble feeding the 'bird. Any suggestions on $500 visa GCs for feeding them at WM? I see mixed reports on Vanilla GCs, which are everywhere, but have had trouble finding other ones. Vons? Ralphs? Office stores? No Kroger locally.
What exactly is your question?

You can find Visa Gift Cards that say Debit at: Vons, Ralphs, Office Supply stores, and many other stores that can be PIN enabled and loaded to BB at WMs.

Is this the answer you're looking for?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:11 pm

Pasadena, CA. Some locations seem to not accept CC or to give access to $500 denominations. Those that do, from the places I've seen, are nearly exclusively by Vanilla, and I was warned off them due to past problems at WAM even after PINs came in. Maybe this is not an issue any more?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:25 pm

Pasadena, CA. Some locations seem to not accept CC or to give access to $500 denominations. Those that do, from the places I've seen, are nearly exclusively by Vanilla, and I was warned off them due to past problems at WAM even after PINs came in. Maybe this is not an issue any more?
I live in the Los Angeles region and have had success buying GCs with a CC at Ralphs, Albertsons and CVS. I have also bought Vanilla GC multiple times and loaded them to BB with no problem.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Most of the Grocery stores sell Visa cards, look there, also there is Wiki at the start of this thread that will give you want you need.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
grocery stores will take CC's so not too sure what "locations" you are going to that do not take them. Hasn't been an issue for a long time, just read this thread.. Everything you are asking is in this thread and been hashed over and over.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Pavilions in Arcadia sells them all day long without problems.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Plat (1 MM) HHonors Gold
Delete

Last edited by schweizer; Jul 5, 2013 at 8:58 am
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:48 pm

Not sure if it is the best thread to post this question in but I was wondering that after Chase introduces back the $4.95 fee on their GCs purchased through their website, what are the next best options for manufactured spending? My question is specifically for those who don't have Ink cards. Back to VRs?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
What exactly is your question?

You can find Visa Gift Cards that say Debit at: Vons, Ralphs, Office Supply stores, and many other stores that can be PIN enabled and loaded to BB at WMs.

Is this the answer you're looking for?
Got my OneVanilla Visa card. Took it to Walmart to try and load my BB. Wouldn't work.
Suggestions?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by cowboyguy
Not sure if it is the best thread to post this question in but I was wondering that after Chase introduces back the $4.95 fee on their GCs purchased through their website, what are the next best options for manufactured spending? My question is specifically for those who don't have Ink cards. Back to VRs?
If the location is convenient, then VRs is probably the cheapest. I can't think of anything else that is $3.95.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr
Got my OneVanilla Visa card. Took it to Walmart to try and load my BB. Wouldn't work.
Suggestions?
Did you try the Kiosk or the Money Center? Either way, I would try again at a different WM, try Kiosk first then MC.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Is it as easy to load the $500 Vanilla MCs onto GB and BB at WM as it is to load Vanilla VSs? I heard that there was some glitch with loading the MC version as compared to the VS. Just checking...
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Is it as easy to load the $500 Vanilla MCs onto GB and BB at WM as it is to load Vanilla VSs? I heard that there was some glitch with loading the MC version as compared to the VS. Just checking...
I've had no problem but i've only tried one. But according to many and jasonvr: "Visas have been reported to work significantly better than MC at WM registers. MC GC's require pressing a button (quickly) to change the payment type to debit. Without hitting the change payment type button, the cards are recognized as credit and denied."
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Thanks. How about loading the Vanilla MCs at a WM Kiosk instead of a register? Does it work as well as a Vanilla VS does there?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.