Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
I'm not sure if anyone has reported this before, but I've now found an additional kiosk in two different WM locations I've gone to. The second ones are near the far end of the store close to the "site to store" pick up counter. It used to be the old layaway counter in the WM locations that existed when that service was offered year round.

If you run into hitting the maximum load amounts per kiosk, head towards the "site to store" counter and see if there is a second kiosk. The two kiosks are completely independent so you don't have to worry about walking around the store until the compliance block times out to start loading again.
I thought there might be one back there, but didn't see it. The location that I looked at didn't have a kiosk at all. I bet the places with kiosks have two, while the ones without kiosks don't have any. This is a good tip. I much prefer using a kiosk.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I thought there might be one back there, but didn't see it. The location that I looked at didn't have a kiosk at all. I bet the places with kiosks have two, while the ones without kiosks don't have any. This is a good tip. I much prefer using a kiosk.
Is this useful at all? http://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.aspx
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by vagrants
Some have had success using that and putting "Wal Mart" with their zip code in. When I did it, it didn't show two Wal Marts that actually had kiosks.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by cashback
Some have had success using that and putting "Wal Mart" with their zip code in. When I did it, it didn't show two Wal Marts that actually had kiosks.
I don't even put "Wal Mart". I just enter my zip and all compatible ATM (including a local CU) come up. On the map on the result, I can determine which WM has it. Around here, it's accurate so far. Just too bad that there are some WM have 'secret' moneypass.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by vagrants
There is opinion if check WM search criteria on the site, the results will pretty much can be used to locate the desired machine.
It will non help locate possible second atm, but will indicate of there is at least one.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:39 am

Wiki post needs updating, One Vanilla cards work fine with a random 4-digit pin on first use.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by pier11
There is opinion if check WM search criteria on the site, the results will pretty much can be used to locate the desired machine.
It will non help locate possible second atm, but will indicate of there is at least one.
Correct, it won't help you find the WMs with a second kiosk. I looked up the locations of the two that I know do have two kiosks, and they showed up as just a single location on the Moneypass ATM search map.

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Thanks, is this near the other cpu kiosk that lets you apply for a job at walmart?
I didn't see one of those back there, at the locations I go to the application computers are always up front near customer service.

I have noticed that the second ATM's seem to be only at the older locations. The two WM's I found the second ones at were built at a minimum prior to 2000. I've been to two newer locations, built around 2009-2010, and they both had nothing.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
Correct, it won't help you find the WMs with a second kiosk. I looked up the locations of the two that I know do have two kiosks, and they showed up as just a single location on the Moneypass ATM search map.
I didn't give that link for locating 2nd kiosk. Sorry if I mislead you. I thought it might help not going to unknown WMs wasting gas and time for the churn & churn only purpose.

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon

Last edited by vagrants; Jun 29, 2013 at 1:13 pm
Old Jun 29, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by atxtravel
Wiki post needs updating, One Vanilla cards work fine with a random 4-digit pin on first use.
Updated
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
I'm have beein following this thread since the beginning and haven't seen this mentioned. When loading bluebird at a money center machine, what particular options do you choose? The reason i ask is that I have been into 2 local Walmart's that have machines and when I click on the load button, Bluebird does not show up as an option. I have asked the employees if you can load Bluebird at these machines and they have told me no. As such, I have been loading the card at the cash register but just wanted to make sure that not all money center machines are capable of loading Bluebird.

Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Joe1690
I'm have beein following this thread since the beginning and haven't seen this mentioned. When loading bluebird at a money center machine, what particular options do you choose? The reason i ask is that I have been into 2 local Walmart's that have machines and when I click on the load button, Bluebird does not show up as an option. I have asked the employees if you can load Bluebird at these machines and they have told me no. As such, I have been loading the card at the cash register but just wanted to make sure that not all money center machines are capable of loading Bluebird.

Thanks.
They should all load BB fine, click the Walmart Money card button. BB is considered a "WM money card". When I first started this I asked the employees as well, they all said no. I Googled how to do it on my phone right in front of the kiosk, tried it, worked perfectly. WM employees don't know much about these kiosks.

Last edited by SuperKirby; Jun 29, 2013 at 11:10 pm
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum

Thanks.
it's the first option on the Kisok..I think it's called "money card"
Old Jun 30, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Thanks for the quick response and really appreciate the assistance. I will definitely try this the next time I go to Walmart.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Stripy
I'm new to the whole Beans/GC?WM?BB thing so please excuse my need for clarification.

My understanding is that you can reload BB with Beans or GCs that have a PIN (and the latter can only be done at Walmart). So.....this is what's confusing me:

If you have an Ink card it appears to be considerably more favorable to buy GCs at x5 locations and then head down to a Walmart and put them on to BB ...not only is it better mathematically but it removes the need to drive around searching for the increasingly hard to find beans. So why are people still buying beans? Is it because that much spending at x5 locations will draw attention (surely it can be done slowly and subtly) or is it because people buying beans have already maxed out their x5 limits? Or is it that not everyone has a Walmart within reasonable driving distance?

ETA: I think I may have answered my own question - it it because x5 locations don't sell GCs of a high enough denomination to make the purchase viable after accounting for the $5-$6 fee?
For some people VR aren't that hard to find. In my case, office stores are 20+ miles away while CVS is on the way to work. CPP is 0.6 cents for Ink/office supply store and 0.8 cents for 1x card at CVS. I'm also working on hitting some spend thresholds on non-Ink cards. If you want to limit yourself to $5K a month via BB, by all means do so. But there are people doing much more than that by a variety of means.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

Thanks.
The answer is in this threat, trust me. But I use the Green Dot button, then it will ask you to swipe your card (your BB card) and then follow what screen for the rest of the instructions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.