Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 3, 17, 2:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ds-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 28, 13, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Bean View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
The ones I saw looked just like that picture, except the 'Any Amount From $20-500' was in a white box. And the back said they were issued by University bank, which apparently was acquired by MetaBank.

Perhaps these are just old stock....?
Must be old stock. I just pulled one out of my office trash bin. Said MetaBank on it.
Old Jun 28, 13, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by cashback View Post
No, but I will be tomorrow. Im going to ask for the manager that was on duty yesterday. Ill ask him to ring me up. Maybe give him the finger the whole time, and ask if he normally calls the cops on people who buy products they have for sale. The thing is, I only bought one $500 GC from there.
It shows how random this stuff is. Some people are moving 20k or more a month and not even the cardinals get involved.

But a single $500 purchase brings police scrutiny.

I just can't fathom how a single purchase would A) prompt them to freak out enough to call police, or B) That the police would even take the call regarding a single gift card purchase.

Could it be that the cashier either works at multiple locations or even a different store (ie they work at the grocery and Walgreens) and rang you up multiple times?

That would be my guess.

My local CVS barely recognizes me. I've even gone back after walking around for 10 minutes and there isn't even a flash of recognition - I guess they see so many people a day its a blur.

Re: Confronting the manager. I concur with those that say treat him/her with kindness. I would think there is some paperwork/email they had to do with contacting the police (or perhaps they wanted brownie points with their district manager and reported it to them) - the more you push the more they will raise issues with corporate and try to get giftcard with CC out of their stores.
Old Jun 28, 13, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Barry2013 View Post
Careful with driving around with lots of these cards in your car. Besides the fact they could get stolen out of your glove box, police have been known to confiscate large amounts of cash for speculation of suspicious activity and I'm sure these cards would be no different.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-45482890/
I wish they'd try to confiscate something I legally purchased and had a receipt for...

I'd have Jackie Chiles on the phone is a heartbeat!

Old Jun 28, 13, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by ChurnCzar View Post
It shows how random this stuff is. Some people are moving 20k or more a month and not even the cardinals get involved.

But a single $500 purchase brings police scrutiny.

I just can't fathom how a single purchase would A) prompt them to freak out enough to call police, or B) That the police would even take the call regarding a single gift card purchase.

Could it be that the cashier either works at multiple locations or even a different store (ie they work at the grocery and Walgreens) and rang you up multiple times?

That would be my guess.

My local CVS barely recognizes me. I've even gone back after walking around for 10 minutes and there isn't even a flash of recognition - I guess they see so many people a day its a blur.
I have no idea why they called. I know the cashier doesnt work at multiple places. I have been to that Walgreens probably 5 times in June, which isnt enough to raise suspicion or call the cops IMO.
Old Jun 28, 13, 12:07 pm

Sooo I normally make my "run" to 4 drug stores and one super market and walk away with about 7K in GCs. They are all within 4 miles from each other.

As I was pulling into Rite Aid tonight, I got pulled over! Turns out Walgreens called the cops on me. The cop questioned me about all the GC purchases and checked my ID w/ my CC. I was truthful and told him why I do this. The unit's detective even stopped by to chat with me and made it seem like he had been looking into me. He explained about all the bad things GCs can be used for and thats why excessive purchases raise red flags. He was fine with my explanation and assured me that since he has talked to me, I can continue without further harassment.

What a night....
No, wasn't your local store reporting you - just the NSA "at your service"

But you must be one shady looking dude, lol
Old Jun 28, 13, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101 View Post
No, wasn't your local store reporting you - just the NSA "at your service"

But you must be one shady looking dude, lol
Thats the thing too, Im just a regular looking guy with no issues with the law in my past. Also, Im a federal employee with a secret clearance who gets randomly drug tested.

I mean what are they thinking when they see my info? Yep! Thats the guy money laundering and dealing drugs! Lets go get him!
Old Jun 28, 13, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Yes, I buy them all the time. Default PIN is last four of the card. Or you can go online and re set the PIN.
I feel like I've seen these somewhere else too.

Has anyone had luck buying GCs at Family Dollar and/or Dollar General? I have some 1.5 and 1.25 percent cards I can use at those places.
Old Jun 28, 13, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Barry2013 View Post
Careful with driving around with lots of these cards in your car. Besides the fact they could get stolen out of your glove box, police have been known to confiscate large amounts of cash for speculation of suspicious activity and I'm sure these cards would be no different.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-45482890/
Sounds like it's not a problem unless you are DWB (or DWH).
Old Jun 28, 13, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL, WoH, UA, AA
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon View Post
I feel like I've seen these somewhere else too.

Has anyone had luck buying GCs at Family Dollar and/or Dollar General? I have some 1.5 and 1.25 percent cards I can use at those places.
Those gift cards are at staples.
Old Jun 28, 13, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman View Post
Those gift cards are at staples.
Ouch, 1.5% won't cover it then.
Old Jun 28, 13, 2:55 pm

Thats the thing too, Im just a regular looking guy with no issues with the law in my past. Also, Im a federal employee with a secret clearance who gets randomly drug tested.

I mean what are they thinking when they see my info? Yep! Thats the guy money laundering and dealing drugs! Lets go get him!
I hear you. I had an interesting talk with a cashier at CVS one day - ran into him at the adjacent fast food joint after I just bought a few VRs and he was on his lunch break. He said when I first came in buying VRs, the scuttlebutt was I was a scammer of some sort. But since I came in regularly and repeatedly asked when they would get VRs in, it simply wasn't the MO of a scammer and they didn't know what I was doing. So I told him I was churning for points - (it was the very last day of HH 6x at drugstores, so felt I had nothing to reveal that would hurt anyone) - the guy laughed as the mystery was solved. Now I go in occasionally with my City TY card for 5x and it's a breeze - have a chuckle at my former mystery "scammer" status - now I'm the "points guy".
Old Jun 28, 13, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bean View Post
I found some variable loads at one of my local grocery stores today that I had not seen before:

Has anyone had any experience doing loads with these?
Yes, that's the MetaBank Visa that I get regularly at Safeway. I've found them completely reliable for PIN purchases and swipe loads. There are several other designs but they all work the same.
Old Jun 28, 13, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
Yes, that's the MetaBank Visa that I get regularly at Safeway. I've found them completely reliable for PIN purchases and swipe loads. There are several other designs but they all work the same.
FWIW, the vertical tear-strip packaging is significantly easier to open than the horizontal. They use a single strip of goo on the vertical ones (peels off in one shot), and four separate dots of goo on the horizontals (annoying).
Old Jun 28, 13, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
Yes those are my fav because you don't have to set up PIN. Only caveat for me is that since the fee is $5.95, it makes my 1x CC earn at a higher 1.17 cpm rate, which is technically worth it but only if I happen to be at the grocery store for real needs, but still high for me to go out of my way.
Old Jun 28, 13, 7:37 pm
jk2
Original Poster

I loaded GB with US Bank MC gift card at kiosk - worked fine. Today I tried to buy a MO with the same GC - got rejected (alternate debit was required). Is it a common thing for US Bank MC gc? Visa GC from Metabank works fine for both GB loads and MOs.

Search this Thread