Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by cronin85
I couldn't agree more with this whole statement.. lol... I love Chase United and hate Carlson
Could there be an uglier card than the SPG?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BenH
Were these Visa/Amex/MC Gift Cards or retail cards to like Starbucks and iTunes?

In my experience, most stores have no problem taking CCs for retail cards, even if they won't take them for GCs.

Also, it seems here (Chicago) that any store which uses Blackhawk network as their GC vendor (most Supermarkets) have a limit of $500 per transaction in total cards. So if you want more than that you have to be rung up in multiple transactions - usually at the service desk.
The first highlighted/bold was yes, ALL GC..

Second highlighted/bold, this is not true, I have bought 2K of visa GC in one transaction. Not too sure if it a fluke or what, but I never had a problems buying 1k, 2k at a time.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by drdrew450
MVD is a slick looking card...I know Im wierd...I also really like the chase united credit card, its SHINY!

chase hyatt is cool too...club carlson has to be the crappiest design, yet it is my favorite for normal spend.
Originally Posted by thegasguru
Could there be an uglier card than the SPG?
And while we're on the subject....how do you top the Chase Sapphire Visa for coolness?

Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
It's more time consuming then I want to do. I can be in and out of a WM in 10 minutes and load 6K on the BBs. Standing in line at WM to get the MO takes a lot more time. I have a system down for what I do and _my_ time is few and far between these days, the last thing I want to do is stand in line..
Oh, so you don't have a kiosk available to purchase MO? Because it seems to me that when I get MO after BB monthly limit has been met, it's MUCH quicker than loading gcs to MO. Then I use mobile deposit from my phone. It IS an extra $.70 however, and I only do it after BB has been filled for the month...
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I could get MOs through the kiosk, I'd be very happy, but only one of the WMs I go to has a kiosk, and the MO function is disabled on it.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
After reading some reports here I've been pretty nervous about MO from kiosk, but so far no problems.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Bender464
Oh, so you don't have a kiosk available to purchase MO? Because it seems to me that when I get MO after BB monthly limit has been met, it's MUCH quicker than loading gcs to MO. Then I use mobile deposit from my phone. It IS an extra $.70 however, and I only do it after BB has been filled for the month...
You buy MO with GC at the kiosk?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
You buy MO with GC at the kiosk?
If the kiosk allows you to do MO then you can. My WM seem to all have the feature disabled (tells you to go to service desk).

However, I don't think you can split cards...so the max you can do is $500 (unless you have a $1K card with a PIN). And it will cost you 70 cents per MO.

But...yeah...assuming those things...you can do it.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:42 am

And while we're on the subject....how do you top the Chase Sapphire Visa for coolness?

The Sapphire loses its coolness as soon as someone swipes it through a reader and it gets it's nice blur veneer stripped off in a thing metal line.

Sure, this happens to all credit card - but usually just manifests itself as scuffs in the plastic. It is very apparent on the Sapphire card and really ruins the coolness of it for me.

Up until 2 years ago, I would say that I got the most comments on my Blue card than anything else. I've had a Blue Card since near the time they were released (99 I think?). For at least 4-5 years after that I would get cashiers just holding it and turning it around in their hands thinking it was the coolest thing since sliced bread.

My original Blue card had a chip in it though...I just noticed I no longer have a chip...wonder if I can still get one....
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Yes you can do split payments. Max 4 swipes for any kind of transaction at Walmart. But the max MO limit is 1K anyway, so even if you buy 2K worth of MO, it'll be .70 x 2 for fees

Originally Posted by BenH
If the kiosk allows you to do MO then you can. My WM seem to all have the feature disabled (tells you to go to service desk).

However, I don't think you can split cards...so the max you can do is $500 (unless you have a $1K card with a PIN). And it will cost you 70 cents per MO.

But...yeah...assuming those things...you can do it.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Yes you can do split payments. Max 4 swipes for any kind of transaction at Walmart. But the max MO limit is 1K anyway, so even if you buy 2K worth of MO, it'll be .70 x 2 for fees
The kiosk will only allow 1 gc.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Sorry, I was talking about the money center/register. You're correct that the kiosk only allows one payment swipe

Originally Posted by Bender464
The kiosk will only allow 1 gc.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:27 pm

Sorry, I was talking about the money center/register. You're correct that the kiosk only allows one payment swipe
Like I was saying earlier, I only do 'limited' MO. But if I had a need to do 1K MO or any volume[s] of them, yeppers on money center allowing up to 4 swipes. So you can do a 2k MO by using 4/$500 gcs.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:35 pm

Have you seen the Ritz Carlton Rewards /w Chip and Pin? Its a lot thicker than Sapphire and sounds like a crow bar when it drops on the counter.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:46 pm

In my WM, it's .70 per $500... max money order amount is $500 so it would be .70 x 4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.