Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Wonko
Nope, no debit. So if I want a MO then I just walk two blocks to Rite Aid where they take my recently-purchased GC with a smile.
except I have found at some rite aids they cant process the vanilla visa GCs bought at WG and CVS as debit. It seems to not really want to go thru so I have to use ones I got at the supermarket there. Not a prob at all RAs in my area, but some.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:58 am

Nope, no debit. So if I want a MO then I just walk two blocks to Rite Aid where they take my recently-purchased GC with a smile.
Nice. So Rite Aid accepts CC for GC purchase, and GC for MO purchase? I have one really close by. Need to check it out.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by kevinwangjk
Nice. So Rite Aid accepts CC for GC purchase, and GC for MO purchase? I have one really close by. Need to check it out.
I hope you won't buy GC with CC, then immediately use that GC to buy MO at the same store.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
except I have found at some rite aids they cant process the vanilla visa GCs bought at WG and CVS as debit. It seems to not really want to go thru so I have to use ones I got at the supermarket there. Not a prob at all RAs in my area, but some.
Vanillas sometimes act strange. Three of them have gone through instantly at Rite Aid without requiring a PIN or signature and without giving me a chance to approve the amount - swipe, transaction final. The first two caused a bit of a stir but were okayed after a manager checked the card to verify it was a debit card. The last time I got an excitable cashier who went into a bit of a tizzy, lectured me about how it's illegal to buy a money order with a gift card, and then gave me the money order with a warning not to do it again.

So, I try to stick with the MetaBanks from the supermarket for MP/MO purchases, and use the Vanillas at the WM kiosk or AP.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Vanillas sometimes act strange. Three of them have gone through instantly at Rite Aid without requiring a PIN or signature and without giving me a chance to approve the amount - swipe, transaction final. The first two caused a bit of a stir but were okayed after a manager checked the card to verify it was a debit card. The last time I got an excitable cashier who went into a bit of a tizzy, lectured me about how it's illegal to buy a money order with a gift card, and then gave me the money order with a warning not to do it again.

So, I try to stick with the MetaBanks from the supermarket for MP/MO purchases, and use the Vanillas at the WM kiosk or AP.
What are you using the Vanillas for at the WM kiosk?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by shel
I hope you won't buy GC with CC, then immediately use that GC to buy MO at the same store.
That sounds time-saving!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
What are you using the Vanillas for at the WM kiosk?
Reloading BB and GB.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:03 pm

Vanillas sometimes act strange. Three of them have gone through instantly at Rite Aid without requiring a PIN or signature and without giving me a chance to approve the amount - swipe, transaction final.
That's because the cashier hit credit on the POS vs debit
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: A few
Actually I do one better than that. I buy GC at the store, use those GC to buy MO's at that store, and then deposit them in the bank which has a branch inside the very same store. It is the most beautifully efficient mileage run you can ever do
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Actually I do one better than that. I buy GC at the store, use those GC to buy MO's at that store, and then deposit them in the bank which has a branch inside the very same store. It is the most beautifully efficient mileage run you can ever do
Do you walk around for 10 minutes in between each transaction, admiring the sights and smells?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
For the 2 weeks that the deal is alive, sure. That sure is going to look funny to the store eventually...
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:51 pm

Why not? It's not a crime to do so.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:34 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Don't do what I did and purchase the MyVanilla Visa debit card, which I did at CVS last weekend after a tough time either finding Vanilla Reload cards, or a CVS that would let me purchase them with a CC. I picked the MyVanilla only because the processing fee was only $3.95, then noticed after purchasing it that there is a fee of 50 cents/sig or PIN POS transaction, and a fee of $1.95 for ATM access. Wasn't sure how a BB load would be classified so when I drove to the Walmart in Mountain View, I tried to load BB with the amount I put on the MyVanilla Visa-$2. It didn't work at first because I didn't know the PIN. I tried the last 4 digits on the card. Turns out you have to register the card first on the myvanilladebitcard.com website, where you can also pick a PIN. You'll supposedly get a personalized permanent card in the mail in a week. I did that in the parking lot on my iPhone and went back to the ATM and then it worked. The BB load counts as a POS transaction so I have $1.50 left on this stupid card.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
For the 2 weeks that the deal is alive, sure. That sure is going to look funny to the store eventually...
No one is likely to notice -- he goes from the checkout to the money center, a normal activity, then goes from there to the bank branch, another normal activity. Unless the cashier who sells him the GCs takes over the money center spot immediately after, no one will know or care.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
That's a thing of beauty, my friend.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.