Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by smitty06
try just buying one money order for 499.30. Then you don't have to split payments or do anything that will tip the worker off that you are using gift cards.
Thanks for the tips! Went to a 3rd WalMart and had no problem splitting payments and use GCs. It's good that "cracking down" was not from top management.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
VRs are still the number 1, easiest way to load BBs. People only use the GC/MO route because VRs are not available to them or is way too far to drive and get them.
No necessarily. Right now Im switching to GC at Tom Thumb because I need quick 10K points on my flex perks card and they give x2 for grocery store purchases.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
No necessarily. Right now Im switching to GC at Tom Thumb because I need quick 10K points on my flex perks card and they give x2 for grocery store purchases.
Ahh yes and that too. lol
Old May 30, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: A bunch
Hi folks! Sorry if this has been asked or covered prior but a simple question:

Bought a metabank visa giftcard for $200 and want to try and load to BB
Can i set the pin at the bluebird kiosk? I have never used a kiosk before and have always just used VR's online to load.

Thanks!!!
Old May 30, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by Stoutman11
Hi folks! Sorry if this has been asked or covered prior but a simple question:

Bought a metabank visa giftcard for $200 and want to try and load to BB
Can i set the pin at the bluebird kiosk? I have never used a kiosk before and have always just used VR's online to load.

Thanks!!!
I assume this is the one from staples. If so, last 4 digits of card number are pin.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
I assume this is the one from staples. If so, last 4 digits of card number are pin.
Not staples but office max. Does that make a difference?
Old May 30, 2013, 3:38 pm

Not staples but office max. Does that make a difference?
I wish I had an officemax around me. Instead I have 20 office depots and staples. I haven't bought one from officemax yet, but if you go to a walmart with a kiosk test out the last 4 of the card. If that's not it there should be a phone number where you can set pin. Sometimes all you have to do is enter a random 4 digit number on your first transaction and that is your pin.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:56 pm

I wish I had an officemax around me. Instead I have 20 office depots and staples. I haven't bought one from officemax yet, but if you go to a walmart with a kiosk test out the last 4 of the card. If that's not it there should be a phone number where you can set pin. Sometimes all you have to do is enter a random 4 digit number on your first transaction and that is your pin.
Ok i will try the last 4 digits first and hope for the best. I did register the card online thinking maybe i can set a pin and i saw no option to set pin but i have to think if its from od or om or staples it should work the same if its the same exact product. Thanks again for the timely responses.

Also why do u wish u had an officemax as opposed to the other stores?
Old May 30, 2013, 4:09 pm

Ok i will try the last 4 digits first and hope for the best. I did register the card online thinking maybe i can set a pin and i saw no option to set pin but i have to think if its from od or om or staples it should work the same if its the same exact product. Thanks again for the timely responses.

Also why do u wish u had an officemax as opposed to the other stores?
When I drove 30 minutes to the officemax closest to me they allowed me to use officemax gift cards to buy visa gift cards. Extreme YMMV though, and way too much hassle to go out there.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:04 pm

It worked, last 4 digits of the card. I figured out the kiosk and loaded the $200 no prob. Now back to OM for a bunch more. I checked the OD by the walmart and they were sold out of $200 cards
Old May 30, 2013, 7:53 pm

It worked, last 4 digits of the card. I figured out the kiosk and loaded the $200 no prob. Now back to OM for a bunch more. I checked the OD by the walmart and they were sold out of $200 cards
A couple of day ago, went to Staples to get GCM branded VISA GC, but I saw a clerk that gave me 'Chase Ink Bold churner' look before, so went to OD. Saw Vanilla GC...tried once, didn't work as expected & haven't tried since yet...then went to OM. I didn't know OM had the GCM branded VISA GC like Staples (too bad I don't have AMEX Biz CC for OM purchases). Anyway, after OM visit, stopped by at a WM on my way back. Tried the default last 4-digit of the card. Didn't work. I had to call and set PIN. Worked as expected.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
A couple of day ago, went to Staples to get GCM branded VISA GC, but I saw a clerk that gave me 'Chase Ink Bold churner' look before, so went to OD. Saw Vanilla GC...tried once, didn't work as expected & haven't tried since yet...then went to OM. I didn't know OM had the GCM branded VISA GC like Staples (too bad I don't have AMEX Biz CC for OM purchases). Anyway, after OM visit, stopped by at a WM on my way back. Tried the default last 4-digit of the card. Didn't work. I had to call and set PIN. Worked as expected.
Seems the OD gift cards create the most fuss. What's the shortcut for those $200 OD gift cards? Anybody got one?
Old May 30, 2013, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by KYBOSH:20837496

Tracking your money puts everything in perspective. While you THINK you are doing a lot of damage buying money at a discount in the thousands when you look at your spread sheet its pretty humbling. Those fees... my buddy mentioned that he spends more in fees than he does on his rent/mortgage.
Wow...I must be super small time because that doesn't even compute.

We usually track but this whole game confused things a bit and my SO got frustrated. Will have to get back on track. Thanks for the comments all!
Old May 30, 2013, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by vagrants
I've been using the stock $200 Vanilla GC's from OD at Walmart BB consoles and buying money orders at WM - never a problem and I just punch in a PIN at first use.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've been using the stock $200 Vanilla GC's from OD at Walmart BB consoles and buying money orders at WM - never a problem and I just punch in a PIN at first use.
So the OD cards are the Random pin cards? Nice. I don't have to just shop at staples anymore (although it's nice try to and conceal the obvious purchase with FAR paper )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.