Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
One of my payments to Amex didn't show up as promised..
sent 4k to amex prg with delivery date set as dec 10th..and yet no pending payments on my cc.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I'm not sure if it's been rolled out to every Bluebird user (I imagine it has), but this "upgraded" website interface is a POS.

I can't seem to get the bill pay feature to work. I have a balance of $1,000 and trying to submit a payment of $1,000 I get an error of insufficient funds. If I drop the payment amount to 999.99, I can never get to the "next" screen for the finalization of payments. My browser just spins and spins (saying AMEX is "transfering" data), but never proceeds. My internet connection is plenty fast too; works on every other site known to man. What a joke.

Amex, "a technically forward" company, should be embarrassed with this backwards implementation. They do many things right, but this is not one of them.

Edit: I spoke with Bluebird Customer Services and they acknowledged issues with the rollout of the system and billpay. The suggestion was to use the mobile app. I took that suggestion and it worked fine.

Last edited by edbyu; Dec 13, 2013 at 10:11 am
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Has anybody else lost Mint tracking of their Bluebird account recently? All mine haven't been able to update for the past few days.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:50 pm
wcj

Same. I figured (hoped) they blocked access to allow IT work because they sure need to do some, lol.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by edbyu
I'm not sure if it's been rolled out to every Bluebird user (I imagine it has), but this "upgraded" website interface is a POS.

I can't seem to get the bill pay feature to work. I have a balance of $1,000 and trying to submit a payment of $1,000 I get an error of insufficient funds. If I drop the payment amount to 999.99, I can never get to the "next" screen for the finalization of payments.
It must be an issue with the web site, I took can't make the full amount payment, when I had 1K, and tried to make 1K payment I would get the "Insufficient fund" message, however, when I do $999.99 it was sent without a problem.. I haven't called BB yet on this, but it is a pain in the butt... payment was sent and posted as promised.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

exactly same problems - can't pay my gas bill! ...???
address now showing as PO box C - huh?
don't care much about this bill but don't want any surprises with mortgage in a couple weeks...

Originally Posted by dsauch
I have a payee with company name in 1st address and po box in second.
Tried to pay it today - wouldnt go pass the "review" button.
Tried to create a new payee with similar/same information - kept getting "we are experiencing problems now try again".

Tried to edit existing payee and found that "po box" info is gone, the zip code that was 9 chars is still there, but if you start re-typing it the website inserts dash where was none before.
Any changes to "address 2 (optional)" are not saved at all, regardless of I put there.
Finally ended up changing zip to 5 digits from 9, removing company name and putting "po xxxxx" into first line of address. That allowed me to send the bill, we will see if it makes it.

what a mess...
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
Has anybody else lost Mint tracking of their Bluebird account recently? All mine haven't been able to update for the past few days.
Yes, coincidentally right around the time the new BB website rolled out.....

ETA I put in a Mint help ticket for it

Last edited by rifleman940; Dec 14, 2013 at 7:37 am
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by amolkold
Originally Posted by rifleman940
Yes, coincidentally right around the time the new BB website rolled out.....

ETA I put in a Mint help ticket for it
I noticed it this morning... Thought it was a fluke. Went to the website today, and yep. New layout.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: Several dozen
JFTR, some of the offline MS channels are also reporting issues with this Obamacared website. AMEX may also have made some unannounced BB T&C changes...

Originally Posted by f0xx
I noticed it this morning... Thought it was a fluke. Went to the website today, and yep. New layout.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
The new and unimproved site has some weird formatting but works.

I just use it to pay back a CC.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:56 am

Pulled out all but $1.00 sent to my bank,will return to BB if and when this crap is fixed.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
JFTR, some of the offline MS channels are also reporting issues with this Obamacared website. AMEX may also have made some unannounced BB T&C changes...
Was wondering if you got lost...

Haven't seen ADK posts in a hot minute.

Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
I just went through the BB T&C's, which were updated Dec 10, 2013. But, I don't have the previous copy. Any major changes? I did see language that states they may arbitrarily (my word) limit various transaction types. IIRC this was not in there before, but my memory may be off.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I noticed something on the ill pay screen that I don't recall seeing before:

To protect you and your money, take advantage of our Pay Bills Guarantee which covers any late payment-related charges of up to $50 per transaction. Just be sure to pay your bill 6 (six) days before it is due and we've got you covered. For details, please see the Bluebird Member Agreement.
Edit:
Nope, that was there before, just not prominently displayed. Here's an August capture of the Member Agreement (dated May 20, 2013)
http://web.archive.org/web/201308052...bird.com/legal

Edit 2:
I managed to do a full compare between the May version and the latest. Mostly innocuous changes, including the addition of the Set Aside account

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwN...it?usp=sharing

The only thing that jumped out at me as possibly affecting some here is the addition of this statement:
Bluedbird Checks may not be used to make payments to the order of the Member, any Sub-Account User or “self.”

Last edited by jasonvr; Dec 15, 2013 at 2:08 am
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
The problem is not the interface. The problem is the functionality is just broken. Make it look pretty? OK, fine. But it needs to work - if it doesn't, pretty doesn't matter.

Check to see if your nickname for that payee contains a 0 (zero) character. If it does, try editing the nickname to remove any zero characters, then try the payment again. That got it to work for me.

Brilliant code engineers there at Bluebird - can't handle a zero in a text string.
Thanks for the tip. This fixed the problem I had with an existing payee that had the last 4 digits of the account number 1000 in the nickname. I edited the nickname changing the zeros to the letter O and I was able to get past the Review button and make the payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.