Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Achilles
Is this true of Chase Freedom? Now that the gas purchases are 5x, will VR purchases at non-gas 7-11 locations receive 5x points?
Does it have a Visa logo on it
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Achilles
Is this true of Chase Freedom? Now that the gas purchases are 5x, will VR purchases at non-gas 7-11 locations receive 5x points?
Well, none of the 7-11 stores in my neighborhood sell gas. But they also don't sell VR cards.

I wish I could find one that did sell VR cards. Then I could test to see how my purchase would be coded by Chase at a non-service station 7-11. My Chase Priority Rewards Visa gives 2x points for both gas station and grocery store purchases. Anyone have any experience on buying VRs at a 7-11 that does not sell gas?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by DCBob
Well, none of the 7-11 stores in my neighborhood sell gas. But they also don't sell VR cards.

I wish I could find one that did sell VR cards. Then I could test to see how my purchase would be coded by Chase at a non-service station 7-11. My Chase Priority Rewards Visa gives 2x points for both gas station and grocery store purchases. Anyone have any experience on buying VRs at a 7-11 that does not sell gas?
So far been having success buying VR at multiple 7-11's(non gas station). Bought one at a 7-11 gas station last week with my Freedom card and waiting for statement close to see if it earns 5X. It's showing as "in-person transaction".
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Dean19
So far been having success buying VR at multiple 7-11's(non gas station). Bought one at a 7-11 gas station last week with my Freedom card and waiting for statement close to see if it earns 5X. It's showing as "in-person transaction".
At which locations in the country are you finding VR cards at 7-11? Is it only Southern California?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:10 pm

I found many in northern cali, but always get cash only.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:23 pm

At which locations in the country are you finding VR cards at 7-11? Is it only Southern California?
I'm in the NE. So far every 7-11 I've been to has had them. Only have been declined once as "cash only" by the cashier.

At one location the cashier was unsure about my using a CC so he held up the VR towards the manager and ask if these are ok for purchase with CC, and the manager took a look then said "yeah, those will work with CC".

At another location the cashier was unsure if a CC would even work but he tried it and was surprised that it went thru. He then commented that some detectives had visited the store recently and questioned him about people buying these different kinds of "money cards", I don't remember exactly what he said...
Old Jul 14, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

Here's one very rough guideline that's worked for me: figure the most likely candidates are stores in neighborhoods where folks may live a more cash-oriented and bank-averse lifestyle. To make it specific to DC, more Southeast than Northwest--although I have no doubt that there are some stores in NW that have VRs and there are some in SE that don't.

That doesn't guarantee that the individual store will allow purchases by CC or that the sale gets coded in such a way that you get extra points, but it's a start.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cwilson830
Hoping someone can help me out here.

I recently tried to open a BB account although I have an existing Serve account - it gave me the "You have an existing Serve account" error. I cancelled the Serve account and tried again - still received the same error. I contacted BB CS who 3-way'd me with Serve CS. I was told to wait 24 hours, then make sure to use identical information (same e-mail address, etc.). I waited 24 hours, and it still didn't work. I waited a week and tried again - won't work with a different e-mail address, and when I try to use the same address, it says the e-mail address is already used. I tried logging in (no dice), and then doing a password reset (says there is no user at that address). I called CS again, and they said wait 30 days and try again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Can anyone help me out? Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by cwilson830
Can anyone help me out? Thanks
I can't help you there sorry, but while someone else on here might be able to help, I suggest also posting your problem on the new Amex community forums. You may get an answer there as well.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:46 pm

I agree that's kind of a tough question for this thread.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:48 pm

Here's the link to the Amex community: https://community.americanexpress.com/welcome
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:00 pm

Just wanted to report back about my friend who had issues loading to BB. It ended up being something with the GC. He called the customer service and they took care of it but he wasn't sure what the problem was except that the card would not complete a purchase and was locked. Once unlocked, had no problem loading to BB. Pretty funny it was his first one but he's excited now that it worked haha. Thanks for the responses a few pages back.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Here's one very rough guideline that's worked for me: figure the most likely candidates are stores in neighborhoods where folks may live a more cash-oriented and bank-averse lifestyle. To make it specific to DC, more Southeast than Northwest--although I have no doubt that there are some stores in NW that have VRs and there are some in SE that don't.

That doesn't guarantee that the individual store will allow purchases by CC or that the sale gets coded in such a way that you get extra points, but it's a start.
Thanks, but the problem in DC is that the 7-11 stores in this area carry a paltry number of gift and prepaid cards to begin with - there isn't even a slot for VR cards. It's not a big deal because I live within a 3-minute walk of CVS, which usually has them in stock (and probably within a 15-minute walk of a dozen others).

I'm not going to hop on Metro and venture into SE DC just to find a 7-11 that has VRs. The extra time and money would negate the value of buying VR cards there, esp. since there are seven 7-11 locations within a mile of my home (according to the location finder). I will give the other six a try when I'm in the neighborhood.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:28 pm

I'm not going to hop on Metro and venture into SE DC just to find a 7-11 that has VRs. The extra time and money would negate the value of buying VR cards there
And depending where exactly in SE DC, your life isn't worth the abundance of VRs
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
And depending where exactly in SE DC, your life isn't worth the abundance of VRs
I wasn't going to say that, but that is true.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.