Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:52 am

Agreed - it worked for me. 20 100 dollar Visa GC - took 20+ minutes and zero issues. Also, 4 500 dollar Visa GC across two BB accounts, and that worked well too. However, I took a 5 minute break after the first three - and all was fine.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:14 am
Formerly known as god_forbids

Programs: DL Kettle
Just a data point. Haven't seen any white beans for a while, in the CVS stores I usually check here in HNL. Those of you who buy black beans and load to BB at WM are direct depositors with BB to avoid the fees, right? Or is there some other good way to avoid the load fee? PMs appreciated.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:41 pm

Any reason not to authorize a check to a SO/Family/Friend to cash out from Bluebird instead of just paying bills?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by nrdk
Any reason not to authorize a check to a SO/Family/Friend to cash out from Bluebird instead of just paying bills?
I always write a big check more than I pay bills. I like to keep my automatic bill payments intact with my main bank. No need to disrupt your convenience because of BB. Only time i use BB to pay bills is to pay extra principal on my student loan.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I BP CCs and my mortgage. I prefer to pay my mortgage with this so I can use CC. I stopped my auto draft from my bank checking account. I'll start it again if BB goes south.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:07 pm

Got my friend into game and he tried to load a GC onto BB and got through pin but then receipt spit out it could not fund or something to that effect. Anyone had this happen? He activated his BB just today so I'm wondering if there was a waiting period before you can load? He got the right GC. I've never had an issue and he followed my directions so curious what is up.

Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
He activated his BB just today so I'm wondering if there was a waiting period before you can load?
This was the permanent one, right? I remember you couldn't do the reloads on the temporary one you activate at the store.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
Got my friend into game and he tried to load a GC onto BB and got through pin but then receipt spit out it could not fund or something to that effect. Anyone had this happen? He activated his BB just today so I'm wondering if there was a waiting period before you can load? He got the right GC. I've never had an issue and he followed my directions so curious what is up.

Thanks.
Yeah like the above poster said, the permanent one (with his name imprinted on the card) will work, not the temp.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 4:52 am

Thanks for replies. He got the permanent one yesterday and activated it. I'm hoping it works for him because I'll feel bad if it doesn't since I got him into the game haha. I'll report back once he gets it loaded or if it won't end up loading for a data point.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Went to a Walmart last night to reload 2X $500 Vanilla GCs onto my BB. Old lady said that they can only load cash onto Walmart cards, obviously oblivious to the whole BB product and referring to this rule:
http://www.walmart.com/cp/Rapid-Relo...tNavId=1099170

She said she can't do it. I then somehow convinced her that you can load debit card money onto BB. Then she went on about how I was using GCs, not debit cards. I asked to speak to the manager, and he wasn't sure either with the lady babbling in his ear. So then I convinced them to try it, lady said she's "not comfortable with doing this" so she had the manager do it. Manager tried and it was denied. Moved onto the second Walmart - instant success, 0 hassle.

After getting home, I checked the Vanilla cards online, and it seems that at the first WM the manager coded my Vanilla swipe as POSdeposit instead of POSdebit, which is why it did not go through.

For future, does anyone know if there is a formal agreement or whatever between Amex and WM that says "you can load Vanilla cards or Debit cards money onto BB" that I can just print out and keep in my car? In case I get another cashier who refuses to load Vanilla onto BB...

Last edited by TOMFORD; Jul 12, 2013 at 8:26 am
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:07 am

Anyone else having trouble with the iPhone app? When I try to login it says my account has been locked since I have not yet activated my permanent card and tells me to call the customer service number. I can login to the website though just fine.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by Barry2013
Anyone else having trouble with the iPhone app? When I try to login it says my account has been locked since I have not yet activated my permanent card and tells me to call the customer service number. I can login to the website though just fine.
Having trouble too, but with Android app. Website works though, nearly had a stroke this morning. I drained the account just in case
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by agp423
Went to a Walmart last night to reload 2X $500 Vanilla GCs onto my BB. Old lady said that they can only load money onto Walmart cards, obviously oblivious to the whole BB product and referring to this rule:
http://www.walmart.com/cp/Rapid-Relo...tNavId=1099170

She said she can't do it. I then somehow convinced her that you can load debit card money onto BB. Then she went on about how I was using GCs, not debit cards. I asked to speak to the manager, and he wasn't sure either with the lady babbling in his ear. So then I convinced them to try it, lady said she's "not comfortable with doing this" so she had the manager do it. Manager tried and it was denied. Moved onto the second Walmart - instant success, 0 hassle.

After getting home, I checked the Vanilla cards online, and it seems that at the first WM the manager coded my Vanilla swipe as POSdeposit instead of POSdebit, which is why it did not go through.

For future, does anyone know if there is a formal agreement or whatever between Amex and WM that says "you can load Vanilla cards or Debit cards money onto BB" that I can just print out and keep in my car? In case I get another cashier who refuses to load Vanilla onto BB...
Are you in a place that only has 1 WM and the next closest is well over an hr away?

No sense in bringing in any paper, and even with it nothing stops them from pressing any button that they know will result in a "Denied".

I also wouldnt wouldnt be the one calling for the mgr, its another thing if the person said I need teh mgr to clear it or its up to the mgr etc then I would say OK please. But standing your ground and sort of demanding that they get the mgr is not staying under the radar

I would simply keep in mind what that person looks like and avoid them the next time I go in there, would go a different time as well (different shift)

If you make a big enough stink not only can they make sure its Denied but they will remember you every time you go back there and kiss that WM goodbye
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Can you load your BB at any cash register, or does it have to be at customer service?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by agp423
Can you load your BB at any cash register, or does it have to be at customer service?
but only if the operator knows how to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.