Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Old May 30, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by NetBrowser07
I'm fortunate to have VRs available in my area and being able to to pay for them using credit card. However, the system will not take my Sapphire card... all other cards work. What could be the issue?
The issue is with the cardholder account, not with the system. I have used my Sapphire card twice to purchase VRs at CVS - went through immediately both times. You need to check with Chase to find out the reason for the declined purchases.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, US
huh!

BB declined for last 3 txns, spent 15 min on phone and was reminded of monthly spend limit; have to wait 2 days
Old May 30, 2013, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by oohaahouch
BB declined for last 3 txns, spent 15 min on phone and was reminded of monthly spend limit; have to wait 2 days
You weren't allowed to load $$$ or spend $$$?
Old May 30, 2013, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
You weren't allowed to load $$$ or spend $$$?
Spend, they said i spent 10k already this month
Old May 30, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta GM, SPG Gold
Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks.

Out of curiosity has anyone confirmed it can speculate if BB is okay with us loading gift cards to our accounts at Walmart? I've read posts of BB getting "mad" at people loading gift cards online (with $100 limit and $2 fee)
Old May 30, 2013, 9:59 am

Is Billpay counted against that spend limit?
Old May 30, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Is Billpay counted against that spend limit?
yes
Old May 30, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by chipahoy82
Out of curiosity has anyone confirmed it can speculate if BB is okay with us loading gift cards to our accounts at Walmart? I've read posts of BB getting "mad" at people loading gift cards online (with $100 limit and $2 fee)
Read this thread.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chipahoy82
We have a nomenclature issue. PIN debit cards often say "gift card" but are actually debit cards (they will also have "debit" written in small letters). Loading those is fee-free, but don't let a Walmart employee see cards that state "gift card" or they may go into fits! And don't buy them at Walmart. Just reload them there, preferably at a machine or at the WM Money Center.

Don't bother with non-PIN "gift cards." You probably can't load them anyway.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:30 am

I was wondering how are most of you taking cash out of BB? Transferring to bank account? writing a check to yourself (or family member), or ATM withdraw ($2 fee/$500)?
Old May 30, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Hmm...forgot about spend caps....
Old May 30, 2013, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Hmm...forgot about spend caps....
ya, thankfully just 2 days to month end ^
Old May 30, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
... and SEND cap of $2500 ...
Old May 30, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Are checks subject to the spend limit? I spent $15K in checks to the IRS alone in April, but maybe the rules have changed or are being enforced differently.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Are checks subject to the spend limit? I spent $15K in checks to the IRS alone in April, but maybe the rules have changed or are being enforced differently.
no, i checked for checks, mop said checks are not a part of 10k

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.