Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:15 pm

just wanted to give you guys a heads up.
for some reason today I had to split into separate transactions a 1k reload that usually works as split tender when loading with vanillavisa x 2 today. In other words

1k load with 2x 500 vanilla visa - failed
500 load with 1x500 vanilla visa done twice - success

this was with 2 bb accounts.
strange, the other day it worked fine.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
3rd daily $100 load from my ST debit was "unsuccessful" today... Don't know what that means. See what happens tomorrow:

"The automatic money transfer from your Mastercard account to your Bluebird account scheduled for 10/8/2013 in the amount of $100.00 was unsuccessful."

Anybody else?
Called Bluebird and they needed to do a "funding source verification" by calling ST to make sure it's my debit card. All good now.

They must REALLLLYYYY not want people loading GC's! Can't blame 'em. Amex is a smart bank.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by dangw20
I tried a search and the closest thing I could find to answering my question was this post

Does using the AMEX for Target for a debit card load online get your account frozen?
Anyone?

Apologies in advance is this has been covered already and I'm just not finding it.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
Amex for target is not a debit card. So it will not work.

Anyone?

Apologies in advance is this has been covered already and I'm just not finding it.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Anyone?

Amex for Target is not a debit card. It can't be used for your purposes.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3rd daily $100 load from my ST debit was "unsuccessful" today... Don't know what that means. See what happens tomorrow:

"The automatic money transfer from your Mastercard account to your Bluebird account scheduled for 10/8/2013 in the amount of $100.00 was unsuccessful."

Anybody else?
It could have been blocked by ST. Have you checked that possibility?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Called Bluebird and they needed to do a "funding source verification" by calling ST to make sure it's my debit card. All good now.

They must REALLLLYYYY not want people loading GC's! Can't blame 'em. Amex is a smart bank.
Same experience, except they were willing to accept a fax of my DL and the front of my debit cards: http://freequentflyerbook.com/blog/2...ds-to-bluebird
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:06 am

Anyone else seeing the updated interface for VR reload? Is the new site working for anyone?
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by NetBrowser07
Anyone else seeing the updated interface for VR reload? Is the new site working for anyone?
Interestingly the website doesn't show MasterCard rePower, as the cards themselves do. Maybe they pulled the trigger on redesigning the cards before actually activating the functionality.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by NetBrowser07
CVS thread has many comments on the topic...
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:37 pm

The interface between VR merchants and the card issuers can be funky sometimes.

Just finally finished my $3,000 spend on my $1k limit 40k AA Biz card. Basha's Grocery Stores in Arizona? Denied. Not alternate tender, simply denied. Tried 3x, no Fraud Alert.

CVS: Never had a problem at 3 different stores. With Citi Biz card, 1st one gets "alt tender required". Second try, swipe card, hand to clerk, then it goes through for as many VRs as I want.

Moral? Don't give up if it doesn't go through the first time.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Easy 1000 DL miles a month now with the removal of the $2 fee on reloads w/ my ST debit card by automating $100 daily transfers. Nice small perk

Last edited by kdinino; Oct 9, 2013 at 10:39 pm
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by kdinino
Easy 3000 DL miles a month now with the removal of the $2 fee on reloads w/ my ST debit card by automating $100 daily transfers. Nice small perk
Isn't it capped at $1000 per month?
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:40 pm

Ok, here's my experience the last few days. First off, I do a lot of online rebates from Newegg which I'm sure quite a few of you do also, and I've always loaded them via the WM MoneyCenter kiosk with no problems. Things started to go awry when the machine was acting funky and no one came to fix it for the longest time, and I still have a bunch of these cards to unload. Then I got an email from BB saying that there weren't gonna be any fees anymore to load debit cards online, so foolishly I jumped at the opportunity and unload 2 cards for around $100.

The next day I tried to add some more and was notified that I needed to call Amex for some verification, which I did, and they asked me to fax photo ID, which I did. Now I can't seem to load any of the cards, at the MoneyCenter kiosk or with the customer service desk. I loaded the first amount for $15.99 and it went through OK, then I tried to load another and now it says invalid PIN. I've tried 3 different cards and it says the same thing, even though I'm sure I've set the PIN's on those correctly. So finally I just gave up. I have not reached any daily or monthly limits, so I'm pretty sure they either flagged my account or limit the types of loading I can do.

The question now is what should I do? Should I wait a few weeks or two and resume again? Or try a different WM store? Should I even attempt to load these onto my parent's Serve accounts? I still have over $300 spanning 14 different cards I need to unload. This is really giving me a headache. And all this started 'cause the people who manage the WM MoneyCenter kiosk always take their sweet time fixing their problematic machines.

After rereading older posts, it's obvious to me that the fatal flaw was me loading the Prepaid/GC's online and that set it all in motion. Now I'm really mad at myself. I wonder if the reason Amex eliminated the debit fees was to lure us to slip up, which I did =/

Last edited by Venomous West; Oct 9, 2013 at 11:54 pm
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:50 am

Just got this email this morning:

" During a recent review, we noticed unusual/irregular activity on your Bluebird account. For your security and protection, your Bluebird Account has been suspended while we conduct further investigation.

Please fax or mail a legible copy of the following document:

• Picture ID:
· A valid driver’s license card OR
· A valid state issued ID OR
· A valid Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
· A valid United States Passport

It is important that we receive your documentation within ten days.

Anyone get anything similar?

EDIT: Just a follow up. If you do get this, call them first. I wasn't required to fax any of the documents listed above. They asked me to verify my phone number on file and then called me on that number. This "none of the above" option isn't listed in the email.

Last edited by wackyiraqi; Oct 10, 2013 at 6:58 am Reason: Followup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.