Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by Bender464
I'll be REALLY happy when my permanent card arrives so I CAN order the checks, set-up DD, ect.

Day 6 now.....
Permanent card is here now! ^ Got my checks on order, but could not instantly verify this account on >A_P< to set-up "direct deposit". So I'm back to waiting for the 2 small verification deposits to post. Damn it sure seems to take a lot longer than I think it should take to set all this BS up!
Old Apr 4, 2013, 4:14 pm

Damn it sure seems to take a lot longer than I think it should take to set all this BS up!
I take it you've not tried to set up a BankDirect account then?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Permanent card is here now! ^ Got my checks on order, but could not instantly verify this account on >A_P< to set-up "direct deposit". So I'm back to waiting for the 2 small verification deposits to post. Damn it sure seems to take a lot longer than I think it should take to set all this BS up!
Good news, the 2 small verification deposits count as DD ... though I've still gotten free ATM usage without DD.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by amolkold
Good news, the 2 small verification deposits count as DD ... though I've still gotten free ATM usage without DD.
^ Good to know! But I also want to FUND the birdie for actual use. I can't really do much with $.xx.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I take it you've not tried to set up a BankDirect account then?
Nope. Maybe worse though, NFCU makes you wait for MAILED verification codes!
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:51 pm

Nope. Maybe worse though, NFCU makes you wait for MAILED verification codes!
Well, BankDirect, a supposed online-only bank, makes you do the online app, print and mail a signature sheet, mail them a paper check to see the account, then they work on that for 7-10 days, then they email you confirmation saying they will MAIL you the materials telling you how to set up your ONLINE account! The things we do for miles...

Suppose I am getting off track here. But I will be curious to see how the BB request for payees to call for verification turns out.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
But I will be curious to see how the BB request for payees to call for verification turns out.
As am I...
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
^ Good to know! But I also want to FUND the birdie for actual use. I can't really do much with $.xx.
Why would you fund BB with AP for anything other than DD?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
I just went through last 40 pages of BB/VR thread... whoa! sensory overload!

Not only this is a great way to meet spending limits but also gain some bonus points on a monthly basis. Does my cc company frown upon me buying VR cards in denominations of 1k-2k per month?? As DCbob has reiterated, this area is littered with CVS stores. I probably have 5 locations that immediately come to mind.

I am just a little concerned on frozen accounts though. What are the big do's and don't to avoid that kind of situation.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I just went through last 40 pages of BB/VR thread... whoa! sensory overload!

Not only this is a great way to meet spending limits but also gain some bonus points on a monthly basis. Does my cc company frown upon me buying VR cards in denominations of 1k-2k per month?? As DCbob has reiterated, this area is littered with CVS stores. I probably have 5 locations that immediately come to mind.

I am just a little concerned on frozen accounts though. What are the big do's and don't to avoid that kind of situation.

It's hard to give general advice, because most people here believe that it's an individual situation. Is your annual income $20K, $200K or $2M? The answer will have a bearing on how your CC company views the increased spending that you're planning.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
They 'have to' or they can? The way I read it, the payee can call to verify, but doesn't need to.
That's my reading too, though the language on the check suggests it is mandatory for the payee to call. My conclusion that it is optional is based on the target Bluebird market being unbankables-check recipients have a built-in way to verify the check is good.

Also, mandating a call by each payee for each check would make the BB checks unworkable.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:13 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
From the Bluebird Help FAQ:

Recipient Confirmation
Anyone accepting a Bluebird Check can call 1-866-289-9588 and follow the prompts to learn whether the check has been pre-authorized. The recipient will also hear the expiration date, which is 180 days from the date the check was pre-authorized. An expired check will not be honored by us; any check that has expired will be declined, even if your account balance is sufficient.

So I agree with the interpretation that this is Can, not Must. If your landlord thinks you're sketchy and wants to make sure the check won't bounce, they can call the number and make sure it's good. But otherwise, if someone just deposits the check, it will process like any other check would.

BTW, I just pre-authorized 4 checks for my fed and state taxes and estimated taxes. Combined they are well over $2000, but none of the individual checks are over $2000. They all went through fine. I'm planning on avoiding checks over $2000 by splitting them up because the extra steps for large checks seem complicated. But if anyone wants to go through it and report back, I'd be interested in hearing if large checks cause any real problems or annoyances.

Last edited by groobie; Apr 5, 2013 at 1:17 am Reason: Additional info
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by hawkandhoo
It's hard to give general advice, because most people here believe that it's an individual situation. Is your annual income $20K, $200K or $2M? The answer will have a bearing on how your CC company views the increased spending that you're planning.
So if i keep spending in accordance with my reported earning it won't raise any flags? How about if the card is mostly used for VR purchases?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:47 am
Formerly known as god_forbids

Programs: DL Kettle
Originally Posted by jatink129
And with the magnitude of checks they'd be receiving everyday, you think they'd have the manpower to manually follow-up on each check to see who it was made out to?
I don't think so.
Checks have to be pre-authorized, and I wonder if that process includes the recipient info? If so this would be a trivial check for them to perform.

HOWEVER, as the owner of multiple bank accounts who also happens to write checks to himself to transfer funds between them fairly often, I see no reason to consider this activity suspicious. It is merely cash management (ignoring the load-BB-with-VR-paid-by-CC loophole). If anything gets shut down it will be the loophole, not transfers to bank accounts.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
You may want to re-read the BB thread. Other funding methods are more lucrative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.