Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Old Apr 2, 2013, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by jatink129
I have done it once.

I have control over 4 BB accounts. I transferred about $3k from them into my account, because I had to pay off a $6k charge and didn’t want to pay it piece-meal from 3-4 BB accounts.
Anyway, the transfer went off without a hitch.
I paid off 7 CC accounts with no problem whatsoever.

I was left with about $300 in my account and I transferred that into my bank A/C and got a call in a few hours. Thankfully, they didn’t block my account, just wanted to verify if all was good.
They said that they were pleased that I was making good use of my BB account (!!!!!) but they wanted to make sure I was the one who issued the bank transfer.
No questions about the $5k loaded into my account from VR.
No question about about $3k transferred into my account from other BB accounts. But one transfer to my bank and I get “the call”.

Needless to say, I haven’t done that since.

If you were working in the fraud dept, what would be more suspicious to you? The guy who has over $5k coming into his A/C each month FROM VANILLA RELOADS and using that money to pay off bills….OR….the guy who does the same but $2k being withdrawn to his bank account each month?

My take on this is, I’d rather not do ANTHING that would cause my BB account to be shut down…Because later on, it’d be too late.

About the checks…I don’t know either what the banks know or don’t know, but my knowledge is based off what I’ve read, which is- Bluebird checks require pre-authorization, you enter them online before writing the check and then put the authorization number you receive on the front of the check.
So if you made it out to yourself, how would BB know?
And I doubt they are going to pursue EACH check to see where it’s being deposited!
Sounds like this was probably a fraud alert from a combination of transfer between accounts followed by transfer to a bank account. The only other instance of a fraud alert for transfer to bank accounts that I've heard of is someone who had the same account linked to multiple BB accounts (I think it was a joint account linked to both parties BB accounts). I personally have transferred to my bank account numerous times, without any issues.

In any event, both instances that I have read of have indicated that it was a quick fraud alert and the account was quickly cleared. No longterm hold up of money or shutdowns. Certainly not enough to warrant an abandonment of usage of the service.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Interesting points, but still does not seem to add up considering I can walk/drive to literally dozens CVS stores in a 5 mile radius here in DC and find empty racks at every single one of them (sometimes 4 racks). Even if the managers are not particularly sophisticated or have sentiments that the product does not sell, one would think that CVS would have a sufficiently advanced inventory control system to note that this one particular SKU is evaporating within days, if not hours, of restocking!
Maybe this is the real issue - perhaps CVS does not have the inventory tracking system we suppose they should. I would fine this surprising, but I guess you never know. The ones near me are perfectly capable of running out of common prescription medicine for a day or two.

FWIW, I hit 12 CVS's late last week and over the weekend, all close to home/work/route-between in Fairfax County. All empty except the last one I went to, which had a stack. Displayed in the wrong place (under the iTunes cards) mind you. Frustrating to say the least.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:50 pm

Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by CFFrost
Sounds like this was probably a fraud alert from a combination of transfer between accounts followed by transfer to a bank account. The only other instance of a fraud alert for transfer to bank accounts that I've heard of is someone who had the same account linked to multiple BB accounts (I think it was a joint account linked to both parties BB accounts). I personally have transferred to my bank account numerous times, without any issues.

In any event, both instances that I have read of have indicated that it was a quick fraud alert and the account was quickly cleared. No longterm hold up of money or shutdowns. Certainly not enough to warrant an abandonment of usage of the service.
You're probably right...And there's no way I'm stopping but I'm just going to steer clear of bank transfers.
On a side note- Do you (and others) keep a balance in your BB account? Or just load and empty it out?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 3:07 pm

On a side note- Do you (and others) keep a balance in your BB account? Or just load and empty it out?
Since I'm only taking money out through bill pay so far, I always have a balance, since the amount I've added through VRs never perfectly equals the amount I'm paying out in bills. It's also a game of opportunity for me: if I have time to swing by a CVS and they have VRs, I'll add money to my account. If not, I don't. If I have bills due and enough in BB, I'll pay from there. If not, I don't.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 3:17 pm

You're probably right...And there's no way I'm stopping but I'm just going to steer clear of bank transfers.
I keep a pretty small balance. It usually fluctuates between $10-$50 after transfers / bill pay. I do, however, keep any VRs I load to BB in the BB account for about a week before I do any billpay, transfer, etc - and I'll usually make a few small purchases with my Blubird card after a reload.

So, for example, I'll load $1000 onto BB on the 1st (for example). Spend about $10-$50 with the BB Debit over the next week or so. Then around the 7th-10th, either transfer to my bank account or billpay the card 900-990, depending on how much I want to keep in the account and which card I'm paying (if it is an AMEX I usually transfer, other cards I will usually pay directly from BB)

I've also made one or two (small) transfers from my bank account to BB, and had one cash withdrawal (without DD, so there was a fee). I was at a "cash only" bar where there were no other ATM's nearby. These are one-off occurrences, but I think they make an account less suspicious.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
I keep a pretty small balance. It usually fluctuates between $10-$50 after transfers / bill pay. I do, however, keep any VRs I load to BB in the BB account for about a week before I do any billpay, transfer, etc - and I'll usually make a few small purchases with my Blubird card after a reload.

So, for example, I'll load $1000 onto BB on the 1st (for example). Spend about $10-$50 with the BB Debit over the next week or so. Then around the 7th-10th, either transfer to my bank account or billpay the card 900-990, depending on how much I want to keep in the account and which card I'm paying (if it is an AMEX I usually transfer, other cards I will usually pay directly from BB)

I've also made one or two (small) transfers from my bank account to BB, and had one cash withdrawal (without DD, so there was a fee). I was at a "cash only" bar where there were no other ATM's nearby. These are one-off occurrences, but I think they make an account less suspicious.
Thanks. ^^ Looks like a good strategy. I need to being using my card in store as well.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Maybe this is the real issue - perhaps CVS does not have the inventory tracking system we suppose they should. I would fine this surprising, but I guess you never know. The ones near me are perfectly capable of running out of common prescription medicine for a day or two.
Interesting about the medication, though I don't see that much empty shelf space in general at CVS stores. Though employees I've talked to do make it sound like they have to actively re-order the product (not automated).

One additional twist is that in at least one place I went to it seemed that all gift cards, including reloadables, were being done by a third-party contractor. There was a dude there with a big box of various cards, just wearing a t-shirt. He said he was "the gift card guy", and he was stocking up the black Vanilla cards and green dots. Sort of like how Pepsi or Frito-Lay will stock their own section of grocery stores. Though then again, at another place a CVS employee was stocking them. So who knows. It's amazing that for such a big chain there is so much freedom store-to-store, but from what we see of inventory, purchase policies (no CCs, daily $ limit, etc.), etc., it does really seem that they have some leeway.

Originally Posted by ctbarron
I hit 12 CVS's late last week and over the weekend, all close to home/work/route-between in Fairfax County. All empty except the last one I went to, which had a stack.
I have yet to find a single VR anywhere in Arlington - just lots and lots of empty racks teasing me. Actually nowhere inside the beltway for that matter. I've always had to go to the 'burbs.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
anyone get shut down? Do you guy ever heard of that?

Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Interesting about the medication, though I don't see that much empty shelf space in general at CVS stores. Though employees I've talked to do make it sound like they have to actively re-order the product (not automated).
I've been told by staff at numerous stores that what the order doesn't translate to what they get. It seems like a total crapshoot as to what arrives on the weekly truck.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Daniel on the way
anyone get shut down? Do you guy ever heard of that?
No. People just taking precautions for now.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:33 pm

I'm not sure if this datapoint is applicable here or somewhere else, but my wife was loading two cards on her Bluebird today, and she got an error (90) - I've seen several people on the big thread talk about that but no one knew what it meant.

When we called in to get it fixed, she could not duplicate the error, loaded the cards right in, and said that error (90) is when someone is using a bluebird without their actual name on it.

Don't know if that will help anyone, but figured I'd share.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
Can you write 2 checks instead? $10K each from 2 different BB accounts.

Or, why not 2 checks from the same account? Reduce your $10K balance to $0 by getting check#1 pre-authorized, then build it back up again between now and June and use that balance to get check #2 pre-authorized -- when you're ready to pay, send both checks to the payee in the same envelope.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:44 am

AMEX Hasn't Received Payment By Stated Date?

I have made 3 payments to AMEX credit cards and none has been credited by the date Bluebird stated. Any idea what is wrong? All other payments have gone through as expected.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by dldkjones
I have made 3 payments to AMEX credit cards and none has been credited by the date Bluebird stated. Any idea what is wrong? All other payments have gone through as expected.
Thanks for sharing this. I will stick to paying other places since this is an issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.