Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2% profit + points at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by mithrin
I've built up a large point balance and am planning to purchase an iPad for my wife soon. I'll be paying for 90%+ with MyBestBuy certificates.

This could obviously attract some attention at the Best Buy I frequent.

I am wondering if anyone has the inside scoop on how rewards certificates are handled at Best Buy. Does the store eat the cost of the discount on it's balance sheet, or does corporate fully reimburse the store for the value of the certs? Or in between?

I know that at Bed,Bath & Beyond; a big reason stores are so liberal honoring coupons is because corporate takes the hit, not the store.

I ask because if the local store takes the hit on the discount, I can spend the time to drive to another Best Buy and not risk irritating my local manager. If the local store comes out the same as if they'd sold the item normally, then I might as well give the sale to my local store.
They dont care, trust me.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:58 pm

It's probably upthread, but for newbies like me there's a setting in your MyBestBuy...

https://my.bestbuy.com/account/certificatepreference

...to set the auto-emailing of your reward certificate notifications. The only choices are $5, $10, and $20. Obviously a choice of "Please wait until I ask" would be better. I'll have to figure out the best strategy anyway.

$5: the advantage is you only have to show up and find a small amount of goodies
(due to the "no change allowed" rule)

$20: the advantage is you kinda get a better certificate expiration date
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
The only choices are $5, $10, and $20. Obviously a choice of "Please wait until I ask" would be better. I'll have to figure out the best strategy anyway.
From the Elite Plus Benefits list:
Point banking option: Keep your points until you're ready to use them with point banking.
Requirement for Elite Plus is $3500 in spend in a year. Once you qualify, you're status last for the rest of the current year and the next year. When I qualified in 2013, I got Elite Plus through Feb 2015.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1K, WN CP, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mithrin
I've built up a large point balance and am planning to purchase an iPad for my wife soon. I'll be paying for 90%+ with MyBestBuy certificates.

This could obviously attract some attention at the Best Buy I frequent.

I am wondering if anyone has the inside scoop on how rewards certificates are handled at Best Buy. Does the store eat the cost of the discount on it's balance sheet, or does corporate fully reimburse the store for the value of the certs? Or in between?

I know that at Bed,Bath & Beyond; a big reason stores are so liberal honoring coupons is because corporate takes the hit, not the store.

I ask because if the local store takes the hit on the discount, I can spend the time to drive to another Best Buy and not risk irritating my local manager. If the local store comes out the same as if they'd sold the item normally, then I might as well give the sale to my local store.
Or just order it online and go thru a shopping portal to get additional savings/miles
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:06 pm

Just as a data point the maximum amount of debit cards that can be used per transaction is 5. Found that out today picking up a macbook.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:37 pm

You used multiple debit? Why? 1 would be too many debit in my book.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
You used multiple debit? Why? 1 would be too many debit in my book.
They are debit cards from OM, and I have no intention of keeping the MacBook. Feel free to pm for more details of why debit vs credit.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:55 pm

I'd think it would be far more efficient to go to WM with debit cards from BB.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:36 am

I agree with you however my Birds are full for the month, plus i'm getting sick of finding broken kiosks and the time it takes to load 10x, this is a quick, easy short term way to liquidate. I can float it for a month. Even better if you do smaller amounts as there is no waiting. I needed this last 2k (10k UR) to have enough to book with United before the deval so i would consider this desperate times.

Last edited by whitesol; Jan 14, 2014 at 12:44 am
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: A few
birds are not the only thing that eat vanilla before you need to resort to dubious return scams
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
It's probably upthread, but for newbies like me there's a setting in your MyBestBuy...

https://my.bestbuy.com/account/certificatepreference

...to set the auto-emailing of your reward certificate notifications. The only choices are $5, $10, and $20. Obviously a choice of "Please wait until I ask" would be better. I'll have to figure out the best strategy anyway.

$5: the advantage is you only have to show up and find a small amount of goodies
(due to the "no change allowed" rule)

$20: the advantage is you kinda get a better certificate expiration date
Thanks! I needed this info. Still a month or two until I hit elite status and can bank these.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
No activity on this thread for a month .... does BB still count VGC purchases towards reward zone?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
No activity on this thread for a month .... does BB still count VGC purchases towards reward zone?
Yes..no problems
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
No news = good news.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:44 pm

Ugh. I've been doing this for over a year and I have a friend who works at BB that just told me that they've been recently trained to not take BB GC for the Visa GC. I tried at one in NY and NJ, was shot down both times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.