Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by vodafone
Someone on Doctor of Credit mentioned it did not work on visa variable

And also if he gets 400 points, it means fixed value ->$200 5B
is the gas pt. always 2x?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by danhouston
is the gas pt. always 2x?
No there's a 2X gas points coupon you have to add under Just4U.

Got 400 gas points for 5B card this morning.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:22 pm

Sorry...was in line at Walmart to liquidate when I made my post. Intended for this to be a nice, easy day lazing around the internet...then a section of the fence fell down, and the damn third brake light on my Explorer went out (and they used a cockamamie system for that year only....it's actually a fluorescent bulb that nobody makes anymore). So no lazing for me and I'm only getting back online now.

I had the 2x when you spend over $50 or w/e amount it was on my J4u, so I had already loaded that. I bought a 5B visa variable for $200 and got 400 gas points.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
No there's a 2X gas points coupon you have to add under Just4U.

Got 400 gas points for 5B card this morning.
no... you are incorrect.

all but the $500 variables are ALWAYS at least 2x, sometimes there are weekly promos which, IME, NEVER require a J4U either. there is no need to add a coupon. Ever.

i bought a 5 back yesterday, with no coupon added aside from the 5 Back one (obviously), and I earned 400 fuel point. As expected.

I don't understand why people on this forum love to make authoritative statements, when they (clearly) don't actually know the answer; thus just adding to the disinformation cycle.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
no... you are incorrect.

all but the $500 variables are ALWAYS at least 2x, sometimes there are weekly promos which, IME, NEVER require a J4U either. there is no need to add a coupon. Ever.

i bought a 5 back yesterday, with no coupon added aside from the 5 Back one (obviously), and I earned 400 fuel point. As expected.

I don't understand why people on this forum love to make authoritative statements, when they (clearly) don't actually know the answer; thus just adding to the disinformation cycle.
You should take you own advice, part of what you said is flat out wrong as well.

There are plenty of non-$500 variables that do not give gas rewards. All closed loop GC give 2X automatically, sometimes more with J4U. VGC and MCGC, open loop GC, should NOT be giving gas rewards, but SKUs change, things get added and Safeway effs up the coding in their system, hence the hodgepodge of VGC/MCGC giving or not giving gas rewards. Add to that that every once in a while a GC J4U bonus comes along and Safeway effs that up, so for a period all GC are giving the bonus gas rewards and not the base gas rewards.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:41 pm

My experience today --

Added J4U $10 coupon. Purchased $200 5B, nothing else. $10 credit against purchase price, so out the door for $196.95. Also received 400 fuel points.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Question

Wondering if I can use Safeway Gift Cards to purchase Visa Gift Cards. Varying answers given at Safeway locations, but all say they won't guarantee.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by slack455
You should take you own advice, part of what you said is flat out wrong as well.

There are plenty of non-$500 variables that do not give gas rewards. All closed loop GC give 2X automatically, sometimes more with J4U. VGC and MCGC, open loop GC, should NOT be giving gas rewards, but SKUs change, things get added and Safeway effs up the coding in their system, hence the hodgepodge of VGC/MCGC giving or not giving gas rewards. Add to that that every once in a while a GC J4U bonus comes along and Safeway effs that up, so for a period all GC are giving the bonus gas rewards and not the base gas rewards.
I just feel sorry for you guys that you have to scrabble around for gas points in Safeway's crappy program. Better you than me!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by HUGE AL
Wondering if I can use Safeway Gift Cards to purchase Visa Gift Cards. Varying answers given at Safeway locations, but all say they won't guarantee.
Official answer is no, it even says so right on the back of the card.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Official answer is no, it even says so right on the back of the card.
Eluding to an "unofficial answer" so further explanation should be given.

Wouldn't know as I'm not in possession of a card -- hence the query.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I have done it before. I recommend you do it only if the total price of the VGC, fee, and anything else you are buying is less than the amount on the gift card. If the gift card autodrains and the register prompts for another payment for the balance, it may catch the cashier's attention and you may have issues.

I also recommend you not ask questions like this at stores. This will also catch their attention and might cause them to enforce the policy more vigilantly. It's best to just try it once and see what happens.

Last edited by cbn42; Sep 15, 2017 at 9:34 pm
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Eluding to an "unofficial answer" so further explanation should be given.
Wait. You're trying to get away ... TO ... an unofficial answer? Wouldn't you want to get away from something if you're eluding it? How does that even work?

Unless you're alluding to malapropisms, I guess. Then you'd want to get TO them.

The unofficial answer - in this and pretty much all other cases - is 180 degrees out from the official one. YMMV. As always, the Prime Directive applies: don't ask, don't call.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:03 am

what slack455 stated was true; i didn't have to look for or load a 2x fuel pt & still got 400 pts; in the past some fixed vgc/mcgc bought did give fuel pts while some others didn't depending on how certain GCs got coded
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by kcblakely
I just feel sorry for you guys that you have to scrabble around for gas points in Safeway's crappy program. Better you than me!
crappy? without promo offer, what grocery stores will award 2x?
feel sorry? isn't something better than nothing? if u don't care for it, remember don't use the acct when pumping gas
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:56 am

The 5back promo has reappeared in my j4u. I wonder if I can double dip...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.