Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:52 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by HikerT
The terms of this coupon were 1 per customer. If anyone here got more than 1 was it unethical? Oh the horror! You are always free to hand them back the coupon, lol. If you want to wax poetic about ethics where do you draw the line? You might as well pontificate about whether debit PIN cash out is unethical. After all, the terms say PIN use is not intended for cash back. But 99.99% here have used a work around to bypass. Or whether MS with a CC is unethical. After all the T&C for most CC rewards programs have verbiage excluding purchase of cash equivalents. You might as well say say the entire MS forum "sounds rather unethcial", lol. For me the coupon was incentive to test which Safeway stores and cashiers are variable friendly.
There is a difference between finding loopholes and cheating. PIN is not intended for cash back, but a money order is not cash (it even has a fee associated).

If a store offered a free t-shirt when you buy a pair of shoes, would you buy the shoes, get the free t-shirt, and then return the shoes? That's effectively what you're proposing with these Safeway coupons.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:59 am

Apples to oranges. Really? Sounds more like selective ethics to me. I'm sure you're aghast that Kroger was spitting out $5 coupons with purchase of 2 x $500 variables when the terms excluded variables. Oh the horror that one might get a coupon without purchase. Not to mention when the Safeway coupon excluded variables in the past but how many of you waxed poetic about the ethics of getting a coupon? And how many coupons did you pick up despite the terms saying 1 per customer? Ah, but yes, apples to oranges, lol.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
There's no point in doing this... unless $100 AMEX gift card gets gas points. I know the variable AMEX gets gas points if purchased with a regular item, but I don't know about the fixed $100 card.
The $10 offer in the ad says "$100 or more in American Express Gift Cards" and doesn't say anything about it only being for fixed $100, nor excluding variable load cards.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by sbft77
The $10 offer in the ad says "$100 or more in American Express Gift Cards" and doesn't say anything about it only being for fixed $100, nor excluding variable load cards.
OK, then. I'll head over to Vons when the promo starts, or wait for someone to confirm that variables apply. To me, this would be favorable to the previous offer, as I wouldn't mind getting some gas points.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:43 am

OK, then. I'll head over to Vons when the promo starts, or wait for someone to confirm that variables apply. To me, this would be favorable to the previous offer, as I wouldn't mind getting some gas points.
From FAQ's:
http://www.vons.com/ShopStores/Rewar....page#answer_7

http://www.safeway.com/ShopStores/Re....page#answer_7

Which Gift Card purchases earn points?
Qualifying Gift Card purchases made with your Club Card earn points. Excluded are American Express, PayPower, MasterCard, My Choice, Safeway, Visa, Only 1 Visa, NetSpend and RE-loadit Gift Cards.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:54 am

Dave, how recent is your datapoint re variable AMEX getting gas points? I predict attempting that will fail FWIW.

envoy, they had earned points despite policy, from beginning of promo to midway though promo LAST YEAR. It was fixed mid-promo. Since then, I believe we have several reports of them continuing to NOT earn points, and one report in another region of DID earn points.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Dave, how recent is your datapoint re variable AMEX getting gas points? I predict attempting that will fail FWIW.
My sister did it ~3 wks ago. She noticed that it didn't earn points when purchased alone, but did earn points when bought with something like a pack of gum. I haven't tried it myself, but I remember some time ago that others had the same experience.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CC, Hyatt & IHG
My sister did it ~3 wks ago. She noticed that it didn't earn points when purchased alone, but did earn points when bought with something like a pack of gum. I haven't tried it myself, but I remember some time ago that others had the same experience.
I just did an experiment to purchase the variable AMEX ($500) with other items. The fuel points (2X) were there; nonetheless, the coupon wasn't generated... I will purchase the fixed AMEX next time to see if that generates the fuel points.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by ChuckHH
I just did an experiment to purchase the variable AMEX ($500) with other items. The fuel points (2X) were there; nonetheless, the coupon wasn't generated... I will purchase the fixed AMEX next time to see if that generates the fuel points.
Did the same. Got no fuel points and no coupon. But I took it to the CS desk and they gave me 10.00 off next purchase.

Looking to hear on the fixed 100.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CC, Hyatt & IHG
Originally Posted by mile ho
Did the same. Got no fuel points and no coupon. But I took it to the CS desk and they gave me 10.00 off next purchase.

Looking to hear on the fixed 100.
That is an interesting that you didn't get the fuel points. Did you buy the card along with other item?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:21 pm

Data point from Randall's in the great state of Texas.

Purchased variable - no go on coupon but got the gas.

Talked to manager who confirmed her understanding variables are not eligible. We then used variable to buy 100's and the coupons came with that .
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:02 pm

Did the cashier knowingly let you use the AMEX gift card to buy another gift card?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by ChuckHH
That is an interesting that you didn't get the fuel points. Did you buy the card along with other item?
Yes, bought a loaf of bread. No fuel points. I might try a different Tom Thumb tomorrow.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Given that the ad does NOT exclude variables and we know dang well that they can place that restriction in the ad as they have for the last few promos, I would fight the "no coupon printing" on variables each and every time and hope for a gift card instead.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
^^ agreed with poster above. I would say the coupon did not print and ask for a $10 giftcard instead. Giftcards are stackable and can be used to buy other giftcards too (not sure about AMEX/Visa/MC).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.