FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1451772-safeway-vons-master-thread-up-2017-a.html)

rambo Aug 8, 2013 5:59 pm

Yes, it is still alive, I got 2 GC's yesterday. I think it expires on 8/13 (not 100% sure though).

Originally Posted by scocjo (Post 21239748)
Is this promo still alive? Did a few a couple weeks ago but wondering if anyone can confirm it's still going on? Need to buy groceries tomorrow and want to know if I should go to Kroger or Safeway.

frogdog51 Aug 8, 2013 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by rambo (Post 21239763)
Yes, it is still alive, I got 2 GC's yesterday. I think it expires on 8/13 (not 100% sure though).

Yep...good through Tuesday. The last 3 I bought didn't spit out the Catalina coupon so I had to go through Catalina to get it.

tommy14 Aug 8, 2013 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by frogdog51 (Post 21239809)
Yep...good through Tuesday. The last 3 I bought didn't spit out the Catalina coupon so I had to go through Catalina to get it.

did three $.5k today, three coupons, BB at one WM (kiosk,CS) never works, another location fine and dandy for some reason, can't complain,

frogdog51 Aug 9, 2013 12:18 am

The only MC's that I can get to work from SW are the ones with the ones with the wraped presents (boxes). Those load BB and work for MO's...I can't get the other version(s) to do either.

zceuxbhjutf Aug 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Bump for four more daze counting today.

Good: BB wuz easy.
Bad: doesn't look like I got fuel points, Bueller?

TravelsLite Aug 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by DeepSky (Post 21176173)
or you can just scan it at self-checkout where it will call for an attendant who will have no other option but to accept CC as it is already scanned :D

Just because it is scanned doesn't mean the attendant is obligated to allow you to purchase it with a CC. Attendant intervention is always required before you can get to "finish and pay". If they don't want to let you, they can shut you down.

DeepSky Aug 11, 2013 8:49 am

Originally Posted by TravelsLite (Post 21250964)
Just because it is scanned doesn't mean the attendant is obligated to allow you to purchase it with a CC. Attendant intervention is always required before you can get to "finish and pay". If they don't want to let you, they can shut you down.

Since there is a tab that needs to be pulled off to scan once removed it needs to be sold as packaging warns against buying ones without tab. I have had no problem buying them off self-checkout or with regular cashier.

For disclosure I do it more for convenience than anything else but it could be a strategy for needy ones. But I wouldn't do it if/when they object to it - there are always greener pastures in this game!

TravelsLite Aug 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by DeepSky (Post 21252522)
Since there is a tab that needs to be pulled off to scan once removed it needs to be sold as packaging warns against buying ones without tab.

I've only had trouble once purchasing them at SCO. The attendant told me he was helping out at this particular store today and that at his location sales with a CC were not allowed so he didn't fell comfortable completing the transaction. I was polite and told him I understood his concern and let it go. I had already scanned the card but he was able to void it no problem. As I was walking away, I noticed he pulled a pair of scissors from the attendant station and destroyed the card I was attempting to purchase. Again, this was the only time I've had trouble and I'm not complaining. No one should think they have a 'gotcha' and that the attendant is required to complete the sale. That sort of attitude would surely lead to uneasiness about the sale and additional scrutiny. Just my .02.

frogdog51 Aug 12, 2013 12:29 am

The SW's around me have signs posted at SCO stating that GC's can only be purchased at the register...no sco. I've found SW "CC to by GC" policy to vary from store to store and time of the day. I prefer to get these about 2-3 hours before closing since the cashier always seems to have the override card with him...rarely questions it.

During the day, they always have to call a manager over who usually says, "Oh, you can't but those with a CC."

Stubtify Aug 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Sure hope there's a new offer this Wednesday. This has been a great summer.

saacman5033 Aug 12, 2013 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Stubtify (Post 21260302)
Sure hope there's a new offer this Wednesday. This has been a great summer.

Not for those of us in HI unfortunately. Visa GC's have earned no fuel points and they don't even bother carrying MC GC's (though they advertise the $10 off for MC deal :rolleyes:)

rambo Aug 12, 2013 4:49 pm

I do not think any of us earned fuel points for these Visa/MC GC purchases.

This helped me get closer to my Amex PRG 15K bonus.

Waiting for Wed to see what new offer comes up.

Originally Posted by saacman5033 (Post 21260375)
Not for those of us in HI unfortunately. Visa GC's have earned no fuel points and they don't even bother carrying MC GC's (though they advertise the $10 off for MC deal :rolleyes:)

raccah Aug 12, 2013 6:52 pm

For those who bought the variable MGC and had issues turning them into paper. They do not work at all at Lucky or Safeway. WM works, but as stated here a few times, either hit cancel and then choose debit (on monochrome POS) or hit other options and then choose debit (on color POS). The blue robot works just fine

zceuxbhjutf Aug 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Who wants to give it a shot today? Go to Safeway/VONS, buy a $100 Mastercard Gift Card, please report back if the Catalina machine prints a $10 off coupon.

Bueller?

thehawk75 Aug 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf (Post 21273066)
Who wants to give it a shot today? Go to Safeway/VONS, buy a $100 Mastercard Gift Card, please report back if the Catalina machine prints a $10 off coupon.

Bueller?

You don't have any card that earns a bonus at grocery stores to make this worthwhile without the coupon?

But, if you want the answer quickly, how about you give it a try and let us know how it goes?