FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1451772-safeway-vons-master-thread-up-2017-a.html)

amolkold Mar 23, 2013 10:05 pm

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Just went to the store to get some rations and this coupon came up ...

"Buy $100 in MasterCard Gift Cards and get $10 off your next shopping visit."

Would be useful to those with grocery bonus categories.

This coupon popped up at a VONS store in Los Angeles. Would have tried it but technically doesn't start until tomorrow.

vodkashine Mar 23, 2013 10:18 pm

When will Vons come to Jersey?

PointsNmiles Mar 23, 2013 10:37 pm

That wouldn't be worth it, since the cost of the $100 gift card is almost as much as the $10 off. You might make a few bucks.

TroyMcClure Mar 24, 2013 10:03 am

Originally Posted by PointsNmiles (Post 20471999)
That wouldn't be worth it, since the cost of the $100 gift card is almost as much as the $10 off. You might make a few bucks.

Free money is still worth it in my book. Plus in the past safeway allowed the higher denomination versions to go through as well.

sametoyou Mar 24, 2013 11:36 am

Therewas a deal for15 $ off $100= 2 $50 visa gc. I tried with the $100 one and it didn't take off the $15. These are not worth buying due to up to $6.95 in fee per card

bocastephen Mar 25, 2013 12:03 am

Except you have a better chance of being hit by a plane than find a Safeway that will accept a credit card for the purchase of a prepaid.

amolkold Mar 25, 2013 12:20 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 20477350)
Except you have a better chance of being hit by a plane than find a Safeway that will accept a credit card for the purchase of a prepaid.

Never have had a problem in CA.

andante81 Mar 25, 2013 12:31 am

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 20477390)

Sounds like Safeways in South Cal accept credit card for prepaid.

I'm in NorCal and Safeways where I have visited do not want to get paid by credit card....

bocastephen Mar 25, 2013 12:32 am

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 20477390)

All the Puget Sound area Safeways I've tried (although I was pointed to one possible location via PM I will try later this month) not only refused credit cards, but looked at me like I was Al Capone for even trying it.

SGJazz Mar 25, 2013 10:48 am

I was in Von's this morning. I didn't risk buying a card to see if the discount applied but the was no signage and although I got a bunch of coupons with my receipt there was nothing about a GC offer.

DaveInLA Mar 25, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm thinking about doing this one. The way I would do it is to use my AMEX BCP to buy the $100 MC GC + pay the $5.95 fee. I get 6% cash back on grocery purchases, so that's a shade over $6, basically cancelling out the GC processing fee.

What I get in return is a $10 Vons coupon (good for 2 wks in the past). However, I would still need to liquidate the MC GC. Now that my local VR sellers aren't allowing GC for payment anymore, the best ways to liquidate the MC GC would be Amazon Payments or Target AMEX. This is too much work for a $10 coupon, but if I could do it 3-4 times, it would be worth it.

oozze Mar 25, 2013 2:56 pm

my local safeway running ads $15 off for 2 $50 gift cards...

SFOHPN Mar 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 20477420)
All the Puget Sound area Safeways I've tried (although I was pointed to one possible location via PM I will try later this month) not only refused credit cards, but looked at me like I was Al Capone for even trying it.

Never had a problem at any of the Safeways on the Eastside.

bocastephen Mar 25, 2013 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by SFOHPN (Post 20483194)
Never had a problem at any of the Safeways on the Eastside.

Maybe I need to venture further north.

farwest101 Mar 25, 2013 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 20481196)
I'm thinking about doing this one. The way I would do it is to use my AMEX BCP to buy the $100 MC GC + pay the $5.95 fee. I get 6% cash back on grocery purchases, so that's a shade over $6, basically cancelling out the GC processing fee.

What I get in return is a $10 Vons coupon (good for 2 wks in the past). However, I would still need to liquidate the MC GC. Now that my local VR sellers aren't allowing GC for payment anymore, the best ways to liquidate the MC GC would be Amazon Payments or Target AMEX. This is too much work for a $10 coupon, but if I could do it 3-4 times, it would be worth it.

Amex doesn't seem to be giving full cb on my Safeway purchases. 90% of my "grocery store spend" is buying GCs at Safeway, yet only seem to getting 6% cb on about half my purchases. I kept trying because I was occasionally getting gas rewards on my GC purchases, but haven't been getting them recently. My Amex Blue spend has slowed way down as a result.