Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:15 pm

Anyone see this or know if it's available at Tom Thumb in Texas?

Update: Never mind, just saw it on the Sun-Tuesday flyer. So based on posts, this can be replicated/scaled up?
The $10 rebate, is there an expiration date on it? Can you combine the $10 rebates when using?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:47 pm

The $10 coupon say that you cannot combine them. One per transaction. Expiration date is two weeks following your gift card purchase
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by rambo
Up until now, no one has reported safeway store Visa/MC gift card purchase being treated as cash advance.

I have personally got these gift cards using Amex/Citi/Chase/Barclays card so far and always got the points.

I have heard from other FT'ers that Citi treats some of the prepaid/gift card purchases as cash advance but I haven't had that experience yet. So in essence, I think this will most likely count to your min spend and you will get the points.
I would love a PM from anyone who HAS experienced this.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464
I would love a PM from anyone who HAS experienced this.
Will be trying in an hour with citi TYP. Will keep you guys posted. Also gonna try to buy multiples. Sep transactions
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, Hyatt, Priority Club
My Safeway allows the purchase of multiples in separate transactions, both $100 fixed and variables. I stick with the $100 gift cards to get more $10 off coupons and have used the coupons in the purchase of a few groceries plus an additional $100 gc. The coupon did not print out automatically on the variable gc but the cashier wrote me a $10 coupon without me even asking.

I'm meeting minimum spend on multiple cards right now and every little bit helps.

I'm essentially getting paid $4 to purchase these cards so even paying $2 to upload is worth it.

It's my mini manufactured spend.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It is highly unlikely that a gift card purchase at a grocery store will count as a cash advance, since it depends on the merchant.

For example, with Citi cards, it counts as a cash advance if you buy directly from Amex Gift Cards online.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:03 pm

Kroger has a similar promo right now. $5 coupon for 2 Visa/MC gift card purchases. I have a stack of these coupons that I need to use. Kind of a PIA that you can't stack them but hard to complain about free groceries.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:45 pm

Thanks for the answer to my question - appreciate it. I will stop by Safeway and try this one out.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by ddavid1101
Will be trying in an hour with citi TYP. Will keep you guys posted. Also gonna try to buy multiples. Sep transactions

TYP is fine. bought 3 GCs in seperate transactions at self checkout(just stood there and kept on ringing them in).

10off coupon expires end of month and can be used immediately. I'll be going back for a lot more over the remaining days. Hoping to get 2K worth of 100s. Self Checkout rep didnt mind at all. though there was a bit of a line as it was peak hour at 6pm. Will go at lunch instead today.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:06 am

I have been getting the $10 off coupons with purchases of $500 gift cards as well.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:50 pm

my wife went to safeway and bought $500 gift card but didnt get the $10 coupon.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by oozze
If the coupon machine is running out of paper or got disconnected for any reason, coupon will not print. Before ringing up your purchase, glance at the coupon machine, make sure you see the green lights being on.
And by the way, only MC gift cards count, if you buy $500 visa GC, that will not work
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by oozze
The official ad says it's only for master card of $100. I bought a $500 and it didn't print out either. Depending on the cashier, they might give you a $10 store gift card.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by tuscanyx
The official ad says it's only for master card of $100. I bought a $500 and it didn't print out either. Depending on the cashier, they might give you a $10 store gift card.
I have bought 6 x $500 in separate purchases over the past week and the coupon has printed every time (Vons, SoCal). Tonight I bought 1 plus $11 worth of soda and used the $10 coupon, which came up on the screen as "Catalina - MC promo" and it still generated another $10 coupon. The cashier smiled and stifled a little laugh when the coupon printed - she's not bothering to check my id anymore. That's a sign that she's seen me a few times this week!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by tuscanyx
Ok, Check the gift card, it is VISA.
I havent seen $500 worth gift card for Mastercard at Safeway. There are no vons in the area.

Last edited by oozze; Apr 19, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.