Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Cactus165
I'd hone up on your 5th grade reading comprehension before breaking out the snark, especially when my post explicitly says it's "marked as such" and refers to a known issue with a similar deal and identical coupon only a few months ago.
5th grade reading comprehension? Oh boy... glad I didn't use extra 'snark' or you might have said 4th grade.

All kidding aside. The coupon works as it's stated. So did the last two promotions for me and others here ... and all the other times they ran this since since I first pointed it out in early 2012:

Safeway/Vons- buy $100 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries

Sorry you weren't able to figure out how to get a $10 coupon to work. But, I fail to see the hesitation and concern. If computer fails to deduct the required amount, that's what the manager override is for. You have difficulties getting them to honor the coupon when the computer doesn't behave as it should?

At any rate do you feel you can't participate in this until someone can confirm the following?
Originally Posted by Cactus165

1- is the Club Card actually needed to get the deal?
2- if so, is it truly limited to 1 per card, or (as in the last 2 such deals) can one repeat the process over and over?
----> edit: according to SD, one can use the same Club Card over and over with no issues
3- is this a no-hassle $10 off $10+? the coupon is marked as such, but two deals ago, it would scan at $0.01 unless you bought $30+ or so, requiring management to override the system.
If so, then while you dither on the sidelines pondering the above and hoping that someone will spoon feed the answer to you, I'll gladly continue accrue points for my family vacations whilst at the same time providing my wife 'grocery money', which is just a 'pure bonus' on top. I suppose I could have just given you the answer to all your questions, but, thought it strange that you wouldn't simply go shopping and figure this out yourself. Tell you what, next time I'll take photo's and annotate them with instructions -- circles, arrows and all.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:43 pm

data point:

used one of the coupons yesterday on an order that included milk. my order was 10.29 (yeah, i like to max out the % savings per coupon! lol), but the coupon rang as $8.01 savings. so, even though it doesn't say it's an exclusion, dairy is, as the milk was 1.99. head cashier came over and said 'sorry, dairy is excluded'. i replied that, based upon the coupon, unless dairy is prohibited by law, it is not excluded. he then questioned whether the coupon was real because he'd never seen one this colour before.

anyway, whilst he dithered, the cashier took it off then put it back on and, viola, it did $10. i said, 'whew, i was afraid the ones i made on the printer in my basement wouldn't work'. lady behind me and cashier laughed, head cashier scowled and waddled away.

btw, i try to keep as low of a profile as possible in this game. this store, however, does not allow credit cards for ANY GC purchase- so it's a dead store anyway. i buy the GC's at a different store but redeem at this one because it's closer to home.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
data point:

used one of the coupons yesterday on an order that included milk. my order was 10.29 (yeah, i like to max out the % savings per coupon! lol), but the coupon rang as $8.01 savings. so, even though it doesn't say it's an exclusion, dairy is, as the milk was 1.99. head cashier came over and said 'sorry, dairy is excluded'. i replied that, based upon the coupon, unless dairy is prohibited by law, it is not excluded. he then questioned whether the coupon was real because he'd never seen one this colour before.

anyway, whilst he dithered, the cashier took it off then put it back on and, viola, it did $10. i said, 'whew, i was afraid the ones i made on the printer in my basement wouldn't work'. lady behind me and cashier laughed, head cashier scowled and waddled away.

btw, i try to keep as low of a profile as possible in this game. this store, however, does not allow credit cards for ANY GC purchase- so it's a dead store anyway. i buy the GC's at a different store but redeem at this one because it's closer to home.
Milk and some Dairy are federally subsidized, so aren't eligible. But you can buy ice cream...

I used the $10 Catalina coupon in August when they had the $100 M/C gift card promo going (which is a royal PITA by comparison) - by coincidence Just4U had a coupon that would give you $4 cash (to be used on any item in the store) if you bought 4 ice cream products (like my favorite, Hagen Daz). They also had HD on sale for $3.50 (vs usual $4.99).

So I'd buy 4 HDaz for $3.50 (total $14). I'd use my $10 Catalina coupon and pay $4. Then I'd get the $4 Catalina coupon, so net cost was zero for 4 pints of HD. I used ~15 $10 coupons that way and ended up with ~60 pints of HD for no net cost

I buy HD regularly (even pay $4.99 when I need my fix), so getting 60 pints for free for buying gift cards (that I'd buy w/out the Catalina $10 coupon anyway) was a hoot. Thankfully, we have an "all freezer" subzero so I could store them all - my wife thought I had gone bonkers until I explained the deal - we both had a good laugh.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:43 pm

Are the purchases of alcohol eligible?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
On 9/11, first day of offer, I shopped at dominicks and saw promo.

I grab a variable visa and when at register ask cashier about offer, point to promo poster. Cashier calls manager, she states all is good.
Load up $500 on variable visa, do not scan my club card.
I expect coupon not to print out, and get manual offer at CS desk,
but to my surprise, $10 coupon prints out.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
Are the purchases of alcohol eligible?
Just like dairy they are not explicitly excluded on the coupon. YMMV.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
data point:

You didn't say where you are, but if you're in California, there is a state law prohibiting stores from selling milk as a loss leader. Therefore, if the coupon reduces the cost of the milk to below what the store paid for it, then it is illegal. This is part of the depression-era price supports for dairy farmers. Other states are covered by federal milk marketing orders that are similar, but regulate only wholesale prices rather than retail prices.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by farwest101
Milk and some Dairy are federally subsidized, so aren't eligible. But you can buy ice cream...

I used the $10 Catalina coupon in August when they had the $100 M/C gift card promo going (which is a royal PITA by comparison) - by coincidence Just4U had a coupon that would give you $4 cash (to be used on any item in the store) if you bought 4 ice cream products (like my favorite, Hagen Daz). They also had HD on sale for $3.50 (vs usual $4.99).

So I'd buy 4 HDaz for $3.50 (total $14). I'd use my $10 Catalina coupon and pay $4. Then I'd get the $4 Catalina coupon, so net cost was zero for 4 pints of HD. I used ~15 $10 coupons that way and ended up with ~60 pints of HD for no net cost

I buy HD regularly (even pay $4.99 when I need my fix), so getting 60 pints for free for buying gift cards (that I'd buy w/out the Catalina $10 coupon anyway) was a hoot. Thankfully, we have an "all freezer" subzero so I could store them all - my wife thought I had gone bonkers until I explained the deal - we both had a good laugh.
So, when you say you're 'buying Ice Cream', you really mean 'Ice Cream' and not 'Vanilla'
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Went to my local grocer today and bought separate orders of $500 Visa GCs. On one order I didn't get a $10 coupon and cashier shrugged and said maybe there is a limit? Turned out that gift card that did not activate...am paranoid about that and check it before I go. They had to go on the computer and check the record of the sale and found the checker rang it up manually instead of scanning the card...no wonder I didn't get my coupon! They straightened it out and I got a bunch of gas points and a coupon.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Went to my local grocer today and bought separate orders of $500 Visa GCs. On one order I didn't get a $10 coupon and cashier shrugged and said maybe there is a limit? Turned out that gift card did not activate...am paranoid about that and check it before I go. They had to go on the computer and check the record of the sale and found the checker rang it up manually instead of scanning the card...no wonder I didn't get my coupon! They straightened it out and I got a bunch of gas points and a coupon.

My cupboards are full from the last go around of this. Any ideas on stuff that is small and not likely to go out of date? I bought fruit and veggies (on the gas rewards deal), other stuff with coupons like paper goods and water today.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
So, when you say you're 'buying Ice Cream', you really mean 'Ice Cream' and not 'Vanilla'
^
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Frenchie Flyer
Went to my local grocer today and bought separate orders of $500 Visa GCs. On one order I didn't get a $10 coupon and cashier shrugged and said maybe there is a limit? Turned out that gift card did not activate...am paranoid about that and check it before I go. They had to go on the computer and check the record of the sale and found the checker rang it up manually instead of scanning the card...no wonder I didn't get my coupon! They straightened it out and I got a bunch of gas points and a coupon.

My cupboards are full from the last go around of this. Any ideas on stuff that is small and not likely to go out of date? I bought fruit and veggies (on the gas rewards deal), other stuff with coupons like paper goods and water today.
Ice cream
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
You didn't say where you are, but if you're in California, there is a state law prohibiting stores from selling milk as a loss leader. Therefore, if the coupon reduces the cost of the milk to below what the store paid for it, then it is illegal. This is part of the depression-era price supports for dairy farmers. Other states are covered by federal milk marketing orders that are similar, but regulate only wholesale prices rather than retail prices.
Thanks for the info. I never even considered the loss leader thing. Actually in TX now, but perhaps universal. The employees know not about this. I know in the coupon a few months back, it did exclude dairy- to include yogurt.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:01 am

Safeway/VONS - $10 off coupon w/ $100 Mastercard or VISA Gift Cards [Recurring]

I'm sure it has been tested before, but since you can establish a pin, can you get cash back on this prepaid card at Von's?

Also, are there other places besides WM to buy MOs with these prepaid cards? WM is too far for me and the gas would outweigh the cash back. I know Von's sells MOs for .89.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by subdawg
I'm sure it has been tested before, but since you can establish a pin, can you get cash back on this prepaid card at Von's?

Also, are there other places besides WM to buy MOs with these prepaid cards? WM is too far for me and the gas would outweigh the cash back. I know Von's sells MOs for .89.
1. No you can't do that

2. Yes, should work wherever they sell MO with a debit card (except USPS).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.