Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by frogdog51
For some reason, with these MC's you need to hit "cancel" after you swipe (the WM associate told me it shows up as credit) then you'll be prompted to select credit or debit...select debit, enter pin and you should be good to go.
not sure if the WMs I go to have more up to date system, but the transaction seems to be declined right after the swipe, at least pressing "cancel" doesn't seem to do the job, ringing up regular purchases is the same, selected "debit" at self checkout after picking up some supplies and the POS terminal wouldn't even prompt to enter PIN. Transaction went through as a regular CC
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:21 pm

The safeway variable load MCs are a strange beast. I have bought 3, and was able to load two of them to BB by following the advice someone gave above (i.e. hit "change payment type" immediately after swiping the MC, choose "debit", and enter your PIN). But the third one JUST wouldn't work as a debit card! I have tried this particular MC at two different walmarts and it doesn't work as a debit card for purchase of MO or loading BB. I have tried changing the PIN a couple of times, and still doesn't work. At this point I think I will just have to offload it using target amex, unless someone here has another suggestion?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by PdxDfwFlyer
The safeway variable load MCs are a strange beast. I have bought 3, and was able to load two of them to BB by following the advice someone gave above (i.e. hit "change payment type" immediately after swiping the MC, choose "debit", and enter your PIN). But the third one JUST wouldn't work as a debit card! I have tried this particular MC at two different walmarts and it doesn't work as a debit card for purchase of MO or loading BB. I have tried changing the PIN a couple of times, and still doesn't work. At this point I think I will just have to offload it using target amex, unless someone here has another suggestion?
I will second that - some MC can't be tamed. Use it or give it away(via PM)
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:02 pm

It's interesting how this promotion is set up... When redeeming the coupon, you're still responsible for paying sales tax on your entire purchase amount plus you earn gas reward points on the total amount. For example, I purchased $10 worth of paper towels. Add on the $10 coupon my total becomes $.82. I pay and earn 10 gas reward points from the transaction. Is it safe to say that Safeway is getting that discount back form the GC issuer? Same with the Office Max promo last month; we already assume retailers usually loose money when we purchase high value debit GCs using a credit card, surely they're not taking the loss on the coupon?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by TravelsLite
...Is it safe to say that Safeway is getting that discount back form the GC issuer? Same with the Office Max promo last month..
With Office Max case someone reported in that thread that yes, it was promo from GC issuers, according to conversation with store managers.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In frozen foods category, there is a coupon for getting $5 off $15 purchase. Can't be frozen meat, seafood, or bakery items. This discount actually fills the exclusion of the $10 coupon perfectly as I used it to buy ice cream.

One time.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:38 am

Change in Safeway policy on accepting credit cards?

My very friendly safeway supervisor who has rung up countless V/MC gift cards in the past shot me down saturday- cash only.

She said that they got a corporate memo a couple of days ago saying cash only. This is Northern CA.

Wondering if this is a local district thing or actual corporate. I wouldn't know if it was hard coded or not, because she shot it down before scanning and asked me if i still wanted to buy it with cash. obviously- no, so she never scanned it.

Anyone else get this?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
I am in bay area, east bay.

Lucky has shutdown visa/mc/amex variable load cards to cash only (I bought a few about 4 weeks back). They block it from their POS system.

I got a few GC from safeway last week. Will try today and let you know.

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
My very friendly safeway supervisor who has rung up countless V/MC gift cards in the past shot me down saturday- cash only.

She said that they got a corporate memo a couple of days ago saying cash only. This is Northern CA.

Wondering if this is a local district thing or actual corporate. I wouldn't know if it was hard coded or not, because she shot it down before scanning and asked me if i still wanted to buy it with cash. obviously- no, so she never scanned it.

Anyone else get this?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 4:52 pm

I bought a "new" $500 mastercard at Dominick's yesterday and have not been able to purchase an MO at WM (no surprise), Meijer or Kroger. I've never had a problem before with MC at Meijer or Kroger until now. Something is happening with these cards.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical

Anyone else get this?
Originally Posted by rambo
I am in bay area, east bay.

Lucky has shutdown visa/mc/amex variable load cards to cash only (I bought a few about 4 weeks back). They block it from their POS system.

I got a few GC from safeway last week. Will try today and let you know.
I was shutdown by one of the senior cashiers at my local Vons yesterday. She stated that they have recently changed the policy to cash only for Visa, MC, Paypal and other reloadable. So I just came back at a different time and it worked.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by aegt123
I was shutdown by one of the senior cashiers at my local Vons yesterday. She stated that they have recently changed the policy to cash only for Visa, MC, Paypal and other reloadable. So I just came back at a different time and it worked.
^

if at first you don't succeed, try, try again...

I have found that holding my card and ID out together is the best way to hopefully have them process as credit. they ask how are you going to pay for it and I say credit, they see the card and ID and say they need to check it.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Stubtify
^

I have found that holding my card and ID out together is the best way to hopefully have them process as credit. they ask how are you going to pay for it and I say credit, they see the card and ID and say they need to check it.
or you can just scan it at self-checkout where it will call for an attendant who will have no other option but to accept CC as it is already scanned
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by DeepSky
or you can just scan it at self-checkout where it will call for an attendant who will have no other option but to accept CC as it is already scanned
So jealous of those of you with SC at vons...
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Stubtify
^

Yup, that's what I did at the other store. Will try it out at my regular store today.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 5:55 pm

Is this promo still alive? Did a few a couple weeks ago but wondering if anyone can confirm it's still going on? Need to buy groceries tomorrow and want to know if I should go to Kroger or Safeway.

Last edited by scocjo; Aug 8, 2013 at 5:55 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.