Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Nov 30, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by Majuki
This signage has been in place for awhile. VRs fortunately are coded as "gift cards" and not prepaid debit cards. The system will allow the purchase of VRs with a credit card even if some cashiers will not.
My post wasn't concerning VRs as much as it was Visa/MC gift card purchases. In both Dallas and Boston, they don't have the same policy.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by THE LSE
Same thing happened to me while doing just one VR upload to BB 11/30 at 0800. But when I logged into BB account the money was there. Error message was an error!

Have you looked at your debit card (e.g. BB) to see if transactions actually went thru?
It won't even take me to the second page. SO I have not gotten a chance to put in the card number.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by THE LSE
Error message was an error!

This is classic!
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
I just got back from my most Reliable CVS store today. MOD had a new procedure that they have to follow for all gift card purchases over $200. It's a manual version of the $1000+ a day ID scan procedure. Any gift card purchase over $200 that is made with a credit card must be logged in on a clipboard. The information to be logged it includes name, DL number and amount being purchased. They also had an big highlighted writing No gift cards for gift cards.

This is the only store doing this at the moment.

I hope it doesn't catch on.
just curious
what is DL number?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by frudd38
Was just told cash only notification to all CVS countrywide..
Fales.... I just bought in the last 3 days here in San Diego 13K worth of beans with my CC's. Not too sure why the folks here in San Diego are having problems finding the beans....
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pinguy
Got so excited last night to find about two dozen beans in my local CVS. They have been out for over two months. And, they're the only CVS within ten miles that takes cc. Bought two last night. Went back today for two more and they're all gone!

I've been stopping in this store 2-3 times a week. I'm going to alter my commute to stop in twice a day now. Appears I have competition
HillCrest CVS on Washington has a shift load, El Cajon Blvd and 44th St has some, and the one in Lemon Grove has a lot too. I just bought 13K worth in the last 2 days.....
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:35 pm

Here's another strike supporting the idea that the $1k/day rule is objective per manager.

Over the past 6 months, been buying VRs periodically at my CVS outpost in Northern AZ. Usually during the day. No probs with avail, no probs with limits, save for what my CC can handle.

Went in yesterday intent to buy $5k in beans. Cashier told me cash only, couldn't convince her to try it anyway. So I had her call the manager up. Manager said $1000 daily limit. Was a different manager than all previous trips (was a later at night visit). So rang the $1k and walked out with my tail between my legs.

Gonna try tomorrow to see if it's a new store rule
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Fales.... I just bought in the last 3 days here in San Diego 13K worth of beans with my CC's. Not too sure why the folks here in San Diego are having problems finding the beans....
I do believe him, that he was told "cash only notice sent nationwide" by an employee. I just don't believe the employee who said it to him!
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I do believe him, that he was told "cash only notice sent nationwide" by an employee. I just don't believe the employee who said it to him!
If it was sent out nationwide, then the employee's in San Diego haven't gotten the memo and the computers have not been hardwired for cash only yet. I'm due back in Phoenix, for a day, will check out my new best friend of a CVS and buy more, then off to Virginia Beach.... Haven't had time to check bean locations there yet, but will report back when I find some.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
No issues whatsoever today at 2 of my favorite 4 stores.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:52 pm

Got $10k today no issues on 2 different cards.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jatink129
Update: Just got off the phone with InComm.
Turns out 3-4 of the cards have been used already and the rest are inactive.

They've asked me to send them all the copies etc, which I'm going to do tomorrow.

Kinda' freaked out and hoping this gets resolved. Has anyone been in a situation like this before?

P.S- I purchased the cards 3 days ago. Didn't get a chance to use them until now. Scratched the silver strip 10 minutes before posting here.
I had a similar situation ... give InComm a couple days to investigate and see what they say. I called back after not hearing from them and asked if I should open a police investigation since it was basically theft of money (not by them but by whoever used the PINs), and that seemed to be the "magic words" to make them hurry up and give me replacement PINs.

Oh, and happy new month.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Oh, and happy new month.
that just reminded me.... New batch to load to bluebird!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Bought 12k over the last 3 days all on my TYP-- no issues. Obviously they didn't get the cash notification out here on the east coast.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JRV62
Bought 12k over the last 3 days all on my TYP-- no issues. Obviously they didn't get the cash notification out here on the east coast.
I would assume that if a "real" memo went out people would be posting it here on how they have been shut down...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.