Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Bought a couple in trips yesterday and today to CVS in Northern VA. Walgreens is always cash only and has been for awhile. Where were the locations you noted?
Arlington, but I didn't hit *all* the CVS' in North or South Arlington. Are they $1k or $5k limits (do you know)?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by JuliusPIV
Arlington, but I didn't hit *all* the CVS' in North or South Arlington. Are they $1k or $5k limits (do you know)?
From what I've heard Arlington is a bit of a dead zone, especially along the metro line. I buy in Fairfax, which has good availability overall but it varies store to store. Nowadays I find one store with a ton, while two others nearby have nothing, so you have to hunt. I have had success in close-in parts of Fairfax such as Falls Church. I've had limited success in DC and Alexandria, but don't get to these locations much to know if this was just luck.

All of the stores I go to are $1k. I briefly found one that would do $5k, but it reverted. I've pushed this a bit with no success but never really gotten into a full-blown argument with a manager. I trudge along at $1k.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ctbarron
From what I've heard Arlington is a bit of a dead zone, especially along the metro line. I buy in Fairfax, which has good availability overall but it varies store to store. Nowadays I find one store with a ton, while two others nearby have nothing, so you have to hunt. I have had success in close-in parts of Fairfax such as Falls Church. I've had limited success in DC and Alexandria, but don't get to these locations much to know if this was just luck.

All of the stores I go to are $1k. I briefly found one that would do $5k, but it reverted. I've pushed this a bit with no success but never really gotten into a full-blown argument with a manager. I trudge along at $1k.
I buy inside the district regularly. No issues.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Its been great in DC and NoVa lately.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Was just told cash only notification to all CVS countrywide..
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I love when people with 2 posts tell us how to do buy VRs.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Got so excited last night to find about two dozen beans in my local CVS. They have been out for over two months. And, they're the only CVS within ten miles that takes cc. Bought two last night. Went back today for two more and they're all gone!

I've been stopping in this store 2-3 times a week. I'm going to alter my commute to stop in twice a day now. Appears I have competition
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by frudd38
Was just told limited to Diners Club only.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
My CVS only accepts bitcoins.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by nuclfusion
My CVS only accepts bitcoins.
Mine has switched to the barter system.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
I've got $7k of VRs.

Keep getting "The card is SUSPENDED. Error Code 4005"
I have all the receipts. Did a search and found this and two other threads without any specific answers.

Was wondering if anyone knew what causes this, and what steps I should take to fix it?

I'm going to go into the store tomorrow and also call InComm tomorrow.

Hoping that the store will just reissue me new cards. But I'd rather not go into the store if there's another way to get this fixed...simply because my store has implemented a $1k/day limit. And the cashier decided to let me do $5k and going in with all the receipts, would just get her into trouble.

Would appreciate any help that I can get.
Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Update: Just got off the phone with InComm.
Turns out 3-4 of the cards have been used already and the rest are inactive.

They've asked me to send them all the copies etc, which I'm going to do tomorrow.

Kinda' freaked out and hoping this gets resolved. Has anyone been in a situation like this before?

P.S- I purchased the cards 3 days ago. Didn't get a chance to use them until now. Scratched the silver strip 10 minutes before posting here.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by jatink129

They've asked me to send them all the copies etc, which I'm going to do tomorrow.

Kinda' freaked out and hoping this gets resolved. Has anyone been in a situation like this before?

P.S- I purchased the cards 3 days ago. Didn't get a chance to use them until now. Scratched the silver strip 10 minutes before posting here.
Wow some FTer must have xray vision to get away with this
Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:50 am

Incom error message

Same thing happened to me while doing just one VR upload to BB 11/30 at 0800. But when I logged into BB account the money was there. Error message was an error!

Have you looked at your debit card (e.g. BB) to see if transactions actually went thru?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:02 am

It has never happened to me, but let us know how you make out. This kind of thing would make anyone leery about holding on to more than can be unloaded in a short period of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.