Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by TTnC4me
The Big Cxx will be faster to shut down before the Big Fxx or even the Big Ixx. Only time will tell.
I have no idea what you're talking about...
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ramalama8
I have no idea what you're talking about...
Indeed, considering CVS is spelled out in the thread title, no real reason to hide it. Others should be FBI and IRS.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Indeed, considering CVS is spelled out in the thread title, no real reason to hide it. Others should be FBI and IRS.
I couldn't figure out the I. smh.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I couldn't figure out the I. smh.
Actually lol'd at this.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by oohaahouch
buying and liquidating vr's is not a crime
That's the point. I don't see why people are looking for ways around this.

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
The Big Cxx will be faster to shut down before the Big Fxx or even the Big Ixx. Only time will tell.
So then I'll buy <$1000 if they want to shut my ID down. Until then, I'll swipe away. My local store loves me. The General Manager has my phone number for when the new VRs come in.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amolkold
That's the point. I don't see why people are looking for ways around this.
Because there are plenty of cases of (admittedly on larger scales than this) of people who were innocent getting hassled (pr worse) by powers that be for anything that even remotely looks suspicious, whether it was actually a crime or not. To me, any potential hassle of dealing with any level of law enforcement, even if completely misplaced, removes the value in this. Then it becomes not worth my time or bothering. Trust me, if a police person really wants to make your life miserable, even if you've done nothing wrong, they can. Sure you could sue later on or whatever and win, but its similar to getting in a car accident. It still sucks even if your car gets fixed and you get a settlement. I simply do not want to deal with whatever could "potentially" come out of this CVS scanning.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:53 pm

2x496.05 did not require a scan today, whereas 2x500 yesterday at the same store did.

What it did require, however, was a 15 minute call to Chase, even though I used the same card as yesterday. Love it.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
Is there any timeframe for restocking?

I went to 3 CVS locations that were out of stock, but this is semi-good news in that means they take CC for purchase, right?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
2x496.05 did not require a scan today, whereas 2x500 yesterday at the same store did.

What it did require, however, was a 15 minute call to Chase, even though I used the same card as yesterday. Love it.
You can do the second one for the full $500 with no scan.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
You can do the second one for the full $500 with no scan.
I figured as much.

The other thing I forgot to mention -- this store has been chronically out of stock as of late, but now that the cards with the newer strips have begun to filter in I've been able to buy them (gasp) two days in a row now. Plenty left, too.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
the other area where we know shutdowns occur are with the card providers. we all know of the netspend, mio and mvd shutdowns. in fact the only one that doesn't get shutdown is bluebird, run by the giant amex who can afford to subsidize the loss in much the same way amazon payments seems to be willing to subsidize a loss up to a certain monthly limit (thank goodness amex let us do $5k instead of the more miserly $1k). now i am getting much more speculative but kind of suggests that the card providers are actually losing money. but if you load the card and then unload it, if they are getting 100 cents on the dollar in theory it should just be neutral for them. so why shutdown?
Possibly because it is very expensive to meet FINCEN reporting regulations.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:25 pm

They're making a killing on M&Ms and gum.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:53 pm

Regardless of software restrictions ($5000 limits), I don't think there is any kind of standardization on Gift Cards across the entire CVS franchise.

I went in to my CVS for the 3rd VR run ever, for my 2nd $1500 on my Citi AA 50k card. Cashier recognized me, warm greeting, etc. Went for three $500 VRs in separate transactions, each with a different priced gum, candy bar, etc.

Cashier had to tell me again how "there used to be a sign that said cash only, but the system still lets us do it". Then she showed me the screen when she loads the VRs that shows something along the lines of "Cash Tender Only" with the option "Use Prepaid Card? Yes? No?". She selected yes each time and I was able to pay with my CC. I think she was dumbfounded frankly. Before the third one, she had me wait while she walked into the store manager office. When she came back she said something along the lines of "well it can't be bad because you didn't run away".

Keep in mind she was very sweet, even gave me a water that I had forgotten last time. There just seems to be a huge lack of information between the accountants, store managers, and front line.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
There just seems to be a huge lack of information between the accountants, store managers, and front line.
No kidding. I just had a store insist Whitneys are cash only (and after checking with the manager).
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rdover1
No kidding. I just had a store insist Whitneys are cash only (and after checking with the manager).
I actually got the store manager today as a regular cashier, and he asked me "Cash?" I said "Credit?" with CC and ID ready. He replied, quote, "Do you have an ID that matches the CC?" I put away the stolen CC I wanted to use and pulled out a legit one . Handed over CC and ID, he looked over it 4 or 5 times but let me buy the Whitney, and I was only buying one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.