Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:30 pm

That was my thought, but it seems to be secured $$, just sitting there. And I do have a few CCs to 'massage' It seems to me that the bucks would just be sitttin on Vanilla cards, and the points/miles would post now. Three CVS in this area, and if I were betting, I would be the the other two that I didn't visit today has them too. This one still had 8 or 9 sitting on 3 different pegs, at the bottom of the rack. Like I said, a small area very small, compared to DC, ATL, SFO, well, you get the idea.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by cvasara
Newbie on Vanilla and BB. Bought my first Vanilla cards today, "My" CVS had quite a few on the rack, Like no one in our little burg knows what the are, including the CVS clerk. I took two, and put them on my CC, and 'coached' the clerk how to do it. $500 each. It went right through. I went on line, registered for BB, and after a phone call to the Philippines, find that I can't transfer funds until I get the real BB Plastic card in hand. No checks either. So now, I have, in my hand, two $500 Vanilla cards, and no place to move the funds. And tomorrow, I want to buy two more. And maybe two more the day after. Now for my Q, should I keep buying the Vanilla cards, and wait till I get the BB card, and try to transfer all $$ from the Vanillas, or hold off buying the Vanillas, until I know I can transfer the $$? I do have several CCs that I would like to 'massage' but I can see $5K in spend coming quite easily b/f I get the real BB card in hand. Thanks for any clarifications that might be forthcoming.
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't stock up. I'd probably stop at 5K though.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bender464
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't stock up. I'd probably stop at 5K though.
I personally would not advise someone to spend $5k when they have no place to put it. If the stock is ample, be patient.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by ThereYaGo
I personally would not advise someone to spend $5k when they have no place to put it. If the stock is ample, be patient.
Duly noted. But as reported many times a day, these "ample" stocks can dry up in less than 24 hours. I still say get it while you can. ^
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:34 am
Original Poster

I found a CVS while on vacation and they had tons and let me buy as much as I wanted. I did about $12k on that trip and towards the end I was told an old cashier that she thought there was a $1k rule. The manager confirmed that and actually reversed $2k of charges for that day. He said that the $1k thing was a law after 9/11. People are so dumb.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:34 am

Duly noted. But as reported many times a day, these "ample" stocks can dry up in less than 24 hours. I still say get it while you can. ^
I'm going to guess you have not read the entire original BB thread. May want to focus on the advice to load VR to BB as soon as possible after purchase. I stand by my original advice to be patient.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:42 am

And also this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...m-reports.html
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:51 am

I'm going to guess you have not read the entire original BB thread. May want to focus on the advice to load VR to BB as soon as possible after purchase. I stand by my original advice to be patient.
You guessed wrong! I have read every post of that ridiculously long thread as well as the other scammer thread. And each and everyone of the 938 MILLION posts on how VR's are no longer available at a previously well-stocked location or how a location no longer accepts CC's. "Go BIG or go home". Patience is not required in this game.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
You guessed wrong! I have read every post of that ridiculously long thread as well as the other scammer thread. And each and everyone of the 938 MILLION posts on how VR's are no longer available at a previously well-stocked location or how a location no longer accepts CC's. "Go BIG or go home". Patience is not required in this game.
Actually, patience is a fine virtue in this game. Just ask the people who've had their Chase accounts closed. Some smarts help as well. One of the major reasons to not load up a bunch of VRs is that until unloaded to BB or some other outlet, it's like stashing $500 chunks of cash around your place. If a burglary occurs at your place, those VR cards will not be replaced if stolen. Just like they won't be replaced if you misplace them.

And, if you've read all the posts, you'll notice that scarcity today generally leads to restocking tomorrow or the next day. CVS wants to sell cards; they'll restock. The bigger issue will be if CVS decides to join everyone else in requiring cash only for purchase.

Even under those circumstances, I wouldn't "stock up" on $5K of cards. What I buy gets converted to BB ASAP.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:49 am

I get your point. But you guys are making it sound like he's wanting to stash these VR's for retirement or something. Geez, how many days does it take to get a perm BB card in the mail??
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:33 pm

I get your point. But you guys are making it sound like he's wanting to stash these VR's for retirement or something. Geez, how many days does it take to get a perm BB card in the mail??
I will try to make my point then to cvasara, who asked the question that started this: Be patient cvasara. Let those with 8 days of FT membership learn the hard way and report back to us.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:20 pm

I always thought the bigger reason for not leaving activated VRs around was the lack of security. There's not much stopping someone from trying to drain random VR cards, and the Fraud in Atlanta means that at least someone has VRs on the radar as targets.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by rajin
I always thought the bigger reason for not leaving activated VRs around was the lack of security. There's not much stopping someone from trying to drain random VR cards, and the Fraud in Atlanta means that at least someone has VRs on the radar as targets.
This.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:32 pm

I will try to make my point then to cvasara, who asked the question that started this: Be patient cvasara. Let those with 8 days of FT membership learn the hard way and report back to us.
Thank you for your opinion, NOOB. I am sorry that my opinion given to someone else has rubbed you the wrong way.

Hopefully, cvasara has already received their permanent BB card by now or soon will, making your fear-mongering (and 120 more days of FT membership advice) completely unnecessary. BTW, BB is NOT the only place to unload VR's.

Until then, I guess I will just give the play-it-safe advice to wait until their permanent BB is in hand! Better??

Last edited by Bender464; Apr 11, 2013 at 4:58 pm
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ted King
$1K rule enforced. Drivers license actually photocopied. Clerk said there have been complaints of illegal money laundering. Wish I were making the kind of money I'd need to launder. Clerk looked at me like I was a drug dealer for asking to buy another $1000.
Data point: Discovered $1K limit hard coded into the register at one store. First time that's ever happened to me. I've bought small items along with $1K in VR purchases before, so this was a surprise. Guess I'll just run $1K at a time and leave it at that - if they don't want me buying misc items along with my VR purchases, piss on em.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.