Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by mxrodriguez
So my local CVS finally had some VR by the checkout which I never saw before. I thought I hit the jackpot and tried to load one with my purchases. The cashier said OK to loading with a CC.
Me:"$500, please"
Cashier:"Uhm.. you cant load that much"
Me:"It says on the card, $20-$500"
Cashier:"Uhm.. for $500 it needs to be cash"
Me:"And how much for a CC?
Cashier:"Uhm.. Ah.. Well.. $200"
Me:"Did you just guess at a number right at this moment?"
Cashier:"Uhm.. Well.. Yes... because $500 is too much"
*FacePalm*
Me:"Forget it then.. Thanks"

I drove 5 miles to the next CVS and found some more VR there.
No problems buying $500 with a CC.
Moral of the story,
No two CVS are like another... nor are the cashiers in each individual CVS.
Im going to try the closer CVS tommorrow with a different cashier to see if she imposes a made up <$1K limit.
I have seen a lot of kids are now working (probably for the summer). Have heard a couple of them say i dont think you can use a CC. Just a stern " no it works, swipe the card and you will see" always works, followed by a "AAhhh you are right" by the cashier.
Of course i am right, i buy 30 VRs from you guys each month - of course i dont say this part....yet!!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by arsenalman
I have seen a lot of kids are now working (probably for the summer). Have heard a couple of them say i dont think you can use a CC. Just a stern " no it works, swipe the card and you will see" always works, followed by a "AAhhh you are right" by the cashier.
Of course i am right, i buy 30 VRs from you guys each month - of course i dont say this part....yet!!
Summer! That is why I've seen so many new faces! Had a girl stare at me with shock when I said "load both with $500 please". Then she asked me if she could have one....
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:23 pm

$5 off

I saw today when I went to my local CVS $5 off the purchase of two Visa or MasterCard gift cards with CVS card. I didn't give it a try, so I can not comment on the validity of it, but I will do so tomorrow.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Pencegeri
I saw today when I went to my local CVS $5 off the purchase of two Visa or MasterCard gift cards with CVS card. I didn't give it a try, so I can not comment on the validity of it, but I will do so tomorrow.
it works
get the visa ones
use your cvs number on purchase
it spits out a $5 coupon for a future purchase
that wont work on GCs though

I bought two things of colgate toothpaste the next day and well, THAt gave me another $2 coupon! So I made $7 and spent $1... plus of course the fees for the GCs but that is factored into my matrix already and these little gimmies offset all things in the master list
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:33 pm

There was a sign at my CVS but it was for Amex Prepaids and not Visa/MC...
Maybe i wasnt looking in the right place...

Will try again tomorrow.
Those $5 coupons are great for stocking up on bubble bum!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:54 pm

Mine also had a sign for a $10 coupon with purchase of home improvement gift card.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:57 pm

Anyone know how much the retailer (CVS / 7-11 / etc) makes off VRs? My theory is that Vanilla is selling each card for, say, $485.. then out of the $500 load, CVS pays $15 (3%) swipe fee, and Vanilla makes the $7.90 fee
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by alexx
Anyone know how much the retailer (CVS / 7-11 / etc) makes off VRs? My theory is that Vanilla is selling each card for, say, $485.. then out of the $500 load, CVS pays $15 (3%) swipe fee, and Vanilla makes the $7.90 fee
Your theory(guess) or conclusion based on some key indicators?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by alexx
nobody knows the complete truth, why does it matter?

Last edited by prasha11; Jun 15, 2013 at 8:27 pm
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Related data point (don't feel the need to start new thread):

Tried buying beans at my local CVS where I've never had a problem (other than the occasional new cashier) with my Amex Hilton. Transaction didn't go through. Tried with a Citi card no issues. Will try my Amex again in a week. I'm hopeful this will not be a permanent thing. I'm planning Diamond through spend (GW was going to be great for that until it went away).
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I would Pm this next time.
Why? Is it super duper hope-you-die secret info? Gimme a break.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I just would rather these things not show up in a google search. I respect the fact that folks use code words to the blogs or whoever else don't easily find info to spread all over the place to folks that don't have discretion or common sense.
Coming from the guy with all of 3 months posting history. Goodness gracious. So, where did you learn all the "lingo"? Get it all after doing the secret handshake at a FTU? Or was it all via PM?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:52 pm

CVS Ad

$10 extra bucks when purchasing at least $50 paypal reload. Limit 1 per household, which I assume they enforce based on extra bucks #. And as it has been said, those aren't redeemable for gift cards. I believe paypal reloads can go elsewhere than paypal (I get the prepaid cards confused) but at any rate no interest for me but worth passing along to someone with a good resale scheme with a lot of cvs's in town.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by moondog417
Related data point (don't feel the need to start new thread): Nor should you have.

Tried buying beans at my local CVS where I've never had a problem (other than the occasional new cashier) with my Amex Hilton. Transaction didn't go through. Tried with a Citi card no issues. Will try my Amex again in a week.If you try again in a week it'll still be declined. It's 99% an issue with your card and you need to call to get it cleared.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by farwest101
Coming from the guy with all of 3 months posting history. Goodness gracious. So, where did you learn all the "lingo"? Get it all after doing the secret handshake at a FTU? Or was it all via PM?
I suppose a google search will still land folks here anyway.

Last edited by TheDapperDon; Jun 18, 2013 at 3:37 pm Reason: Removed snarky comment

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.