Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by tnm5041
Any word on Philly suburbs? I went in to my local CVS Sunday evening and they must've had at least 200 VR on the shelves. I'd imagine they'll remain on the rack considerably longer than they use to.
The wiki now contains a map, and a survey to add data to the map.

I think it will be interesting to see how it progresses; most cultural trends in this country begin in the Northeast, and eventually spread across the country, sometimes jumping to the West Coast and then filling in the middle. It seems as though this one is following the usual pattern.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by kildonan500
Absolutely! I've had success typing random pin numbers at vr.com since all this started. 2 hits so far! Sure its $1000 but I spent a lot of time trying.
You do realize that doing this you are kicking other people in their stomachs.. but obviously you don't care.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by ronnyk
Western suburbs of Philadelphia, both CVS's that I have previously purchased VRs and re-loaded Serve using credit cards and AGCs.

(1) CVS closest to me said nothing when I asked to load my Serve card (I didn't mention using credit), but when swiped, the terminal took longer than normal to respond and then returned message that "Pre-paid card could not be authorized." I called Amex, who told me there was no problem with my account. The cashier tried again, with same result. The helpful manager then called CVS corporate but got strange (and wrong) advice that Serve cards have only a limited amount of swipes before they need to re-issued, and that must be my problem. I saw some VRs on the rack so figured I would buy a couple using an AGC, but once these were swiped the terminal returned the cash-only message. The manager apologized and said this was a new directive (he also said he would need to remove the stickers from the registers that plainly said credit could be used for pre-paid cards but not debit cards).

(2) Five miles away and 15 minutes later, decided to stop in to a different CVS on a lark. No problem loading my Serve card using AGC-- in fact, I did two $500 loads back to back.

Very random, this whole thing (or so it would seem).
sorry, what is AGC? thx
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
1000 eastern Columbia SC went to CVS. Grabbed 6 cards went to counter saw stack of papers on counter THE MEMO on top! Proceeded to purchase with my AA Citicard.

Last edited by jwchef1975; Apr 1, 2014 at 8:36 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by knn9413a
You do realize that doing this you are kicking other people in their stomachs.. but obviously you don't care.
You need to recalibrate your sarcasm detector.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Drum Drum?
Dang it, Dakota! I'd nearly gotten Drum Drum out of my head and now this!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:41 am

No go this AM at my usual CVS in East Northport, NY Assistant manager said new rule effective today.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by knn9413a
It's sarcasm. If this were really possible, scammers with supercomputers would have put VR out of business by now.

Of course, if you had 10K monkeys, typing on 10K keyboards, that would be different. But the cost of bananas alone would do you in.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: DDF
Originally Posted by scoder
VR is the lowest hanging fruit. Hopefully those reliant upon this will perish of starvation.
A bit harsh dont you think?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:46 am

NYC(Manhattan) may be dead finally.

Usual reliable places below 34th street both said cash or debit. Did not
even let me attempt to purchase, at around 10am

I purchase some as late as 11:22pm EST yesterday.
As I was at cashier beginning checkout a plain clothes young looking guy came over to the cashier and said those are cash or debit now, I said huh thought that wasn't till April. He said yeah its April. I chuckled said it's still 11. He shrugged and left. End of his shift.

Then an older guy took the cashier to the side for a minute I couldn't get exactly what he was saying. But when she came back she said you have to purchase these 5 in 1 transaction. I said fine. I guess earlier, people may have been buying 2 at a time under $1000 to get past the id scan towards the 5k limit.

Went back to same store this morning. I flashed a VR they said yes we have some but cash debit and you can buy 2 at a time only. To quiz the cashier I took an amazon card off rack and said what about this one? She turned around and looked at the memo and said that one is ok.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: All
My trip to work passes two CVS not two miles from each other. First loaded Serve and bought VR no problem. Second CVS had register hard coded cash only. (did not try serve as I maxed out at the first stop.)

So in sum you won't know until you try, and posting something like "dead in Cleveland" or posting on a map is worthless unless you give the exact store address.

Erratic indeed.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
If all CVSs are dead for BB, is there any reason to hang onto them and not switch to Serve, where at least I'd get the $1K or $2.5K per month without going into a store?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by yoshapman
If all CVSs are dead for BB, is there any reason to hang onto them and not switch to Serve, where at least I'd get the $1K or $2.5K per month without going into a store?
I am wondering the same thing as I have about 45 days to spend about 3k in order to hit my AA and I am not sure if I can without VRs.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kiltedflyer
Exactly. There isn't anything about this situation that isn't negative. Hence my statement.
Ahhh, now I see what ya did there, hahaha.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by yoshapman
I hope you mean the other way around. What is the point of getting serve unless you have a place to get VR. BB can be loaded with GC. The $1K-1.5K you can load with CC on serve online is less headache than the $5K on BB but obviously way less per month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.