Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
So many lurkers coming out of the wood works.

Thanks for being a real contribution to the community.

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by healthnut
If the memo says tomorrow, I don't see how he could get in trouble for this.
+1 Also, I wouldn't feel bad since it seems like the bigger complaint was the fact that nobody was answering the phones. That would set me off too.

Originally Posted by WellsDakota
Normally a lurker, but registered to post this.

I was at CVS yesterday and asked about the memo. Manager said he had no idea so just shook it off and figured it was a joke and bought my beans. Went back today and same manager was there, but he wasn't looking friendly like yesterday. Normally he's chatty, but today he was pissed off!

I guess the memo had been sent to him yesterday morning, but there was something screwy with his email where some of his messages didn't get delivered until later in the day (even though they were sent earlier). I think this explains why some managers have seen the memo and others haven't. What sucks is his manager saw that he let my beans go through yesterday. His manager tried to call the store to ask what was up, but I guess nobody answered. So his manager then called the store manager's cell, but that call didn't go through either. Left him a fuming message about how they couldn't get their act together to properly answer phones and how they're just ignoring important memos from corporate. There was some profanity on the message and a threat about how "if he didn't give a .... about following the rules or getting things done that there were plenty of other people interested in his position." This is what got him going back and checking email and suddenly the memo was there!

I feel kind of bad now. He might get fired because I bought beans yesterday! So if you're lucky enough to find a store still selling them for credit, you might want to think twice. If you don't care about the manager or he's a prick then I say go for it. If he's a nice guy... well, I'm not going to tell you what you have to do, but it is nice to have a little compassion.

You can go and write a script for a Hollywood movie, dude! How can you image so much just from you feeling that the manager was not as happy as yesterday???! Even all you imagine was true, that manager wasn't wrong to selling icecream to you because the new policy won't take effect until tomorrow..
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:08 pm

If the memo says tomorrow, I don't see how he could get in trouble for this.
That part didn't make sense to me either. All I know is he was pissed and looked a little scared. He said he'd been trying to reach his manager, but having no luck (guess his manager is out enjoy the weekend and he'll find out what's up on Monday). If I had to guess his manager is a little more proactive and expects people to implement policy changes as soon as they get them. Or maybe his manager missed the 3/31 date.

I feel bad because I always chat him up and talk to him for a few minutes when I'm there. He has a wife who stays at home and two kids so would really suck for him if he was suddenly out of work.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
I wonder if this will cause a mass exodus from the game, or if it will be hasten the demise of the some other deals.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by kasan08
You can go and write a script for a Hollywood movie, dude! How can you image so much just from you feeling that the manager was not as happy as yesterday???! Even all you imagine was true, that manager wasn't wrong to selling icecream to you because the new policy won't take effect until tomorrow..
He told me how it went down. I wouldn't say we're friends, but we chat when I go in there.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WellsDakota
That part didn't make sense to me either. All I know is he was pissed and looked a little scared. He said he'd been trying to reach his manager, but having no luck (guess his manager is out enjoy the weekend and he'll find out what's up on Monday). If I had to guess his manager is a little more proactive and expects people to implement policy changes as soon as they get them. Or maybe his manager missed the 3/31 date.

I feel bad because I always chat him up and talk to him for a few minutes when I'm there. He has a wife who stays at home and two kids so would really suck for him if he was suddenly out of work.
He'd have a pretty good case in court. (not legal advice )

The memo says tomorrow, so hopefully his manager can get his head on straight and realize he's in the green. Maybe his manager will even apologize for being so irrational and making the guy freak out.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
i have never been able to buy VR of over $5k in 24 hr. if I bought today at 6pm, i have to wait until 6pm tomorrow or the transaction will show limit reached and wouldn't work
Further, credit card account alert, review, and closure due to large purchases seem to be out of the window.

Folks, tomorrow is another day. Be cool.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA ExP || SPG Plt || Honors Diamond || UA Silver
Went to my secret place for beans today. Bought 4 beans and 1 MVD by CC with no problem. Seems like they are not aware of the "cash only" notice at all. Hope everything still fine tomorrow.
<-My location is around here.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:13 pm

The memo is posted by the register at the Arden x Watt store in Sacramento. They wouldn't let me take a picture of it but it's the same as the photo that's going around.

They had a dozen or two VRs left for anyone who wants to tank up today.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:13 pm

Sad to see it go, have plenty of other places to get VR with CC, but it was always good to have options.

I will say this probably a direct result of:

1. This getting too popular
2. The scammers/fraudsters trying to call up CVS and get them to activate cards
3. The asshat MSers who made life miserable for cashiers/local managers (chargebacks, preaching corporate policy, etc.)

This is why we can't have nice things.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:14 pm

People are like sheep. When the shepherd says beans shall be paid with a CC, everyone takes it literally. If CVS wants to stop VR from being purchased with a CC, then they would simply code it similarly to how they would code GD. There was no fair warning. Same thing happened in 711. Now, let's just wait and see. Aside from that, if this sort of internal control is based on a memo for it to be implemented, then I would definitely give this Company a Material Weakness in their SOX compliance! LOL.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hamhead
Sad to see it go, have plenty of other places to get VR with CC, but it was always good to have options.
Consider yourself lucky. A lot of us will have to go completely away from VR's.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
To me, these 3 posts symbolize what's often wrong with Flyertalk these days, and especially this thread.

Instead of blathering on about silly conspiracy theories or wallowing in our misfortune, we should focus this thread on something useful and obvious: how can you load a Bluebird if you can't buy Vanilla Reloads with a credit card at CVS. I tried to bring the focus to this last night, but almost nobody cared. I'm suspecting nobody will post useful information today, either, but I figure I'll give it one last try.

Of course the reason folks won't help is because, as Beckles noted, a lot of the "experts" are seriously abusing/milking this promo and are afraid that if they give away their secrets to newbies, their techniques will be shut down. There is, of course, some truth to this. But I guarantee you that, by tomorrow, the bloggers will be all over this, searching for page views AND providing useful information. Say what you want about the bloggers, but they're generally more helpful than Flyertalk for things like this. They try to help, instead of trying to hide. It would be nice if Flyertalks were willing to share, too. I mean, that's what this website is supposed to be about. Right?

I'll start by posting what I know. I've never needed to do this, so my knowledge is limited.

The obvious replacement is to buy gift cards instead of Vanilla Reload cards and load them to your Bluebird at Walmart. It is apparently important to buy the "right" gift cards: ones that have a pin. If somebody could post a guide to these "right" cards, that would be extremely helpful.

Once you get to Walmart, it's then very helpful if they have a MoneyCenter machine, so you can do the reload without cashier assistance. Not all Walmarts have these machines. If you plug your zip code into this "finder" and tyoe "Walmart" into the "retail location" search function, you can find which stores near you have machines:

http://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.aspx

Grant posted a nice thread awhile ago about how to use the MoneyCenter machines to load BB:

http://travelwithgrant.com/bluebird/...s-walmart-atm/

If you don't have a machine at your Walmart, you can also load with a cashier. But it seems like this is YMMV, as some cashiers/stores object to folks doing this with gift cards. According to reports, you're limited to $1000 day per BB card using either Walmart loading method.

It would be nice if others would also share useful "replacement" information. It's better to be kind than selfish, and as far as I'm concerned, if you're willing to read through this insanely long thread, you've exerted enough effort to be "worthy" of assistance.
AMEN Brother... You hit the nail on the head with this forum now-a-days and the whining
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:16 pm

He'd have a pretty good case in court. (not legal advice )

The memo says tomorrow, so hopefully his manager can get his head on straight and realize he's in the green. Maybe his manager will even apologize for being so irrational and making the guy freak out.
Thinking back, he didn't actually say anything about 3/31 (I'd just read that date here and in the memo someone had posted). So either there was a different memo that went out for his region (midwest) that didn't include the date or both him and his manager missed seeing the date listed.

Could go back and ask, but I think at this point I'm just going to lay low. Maybe stop in next week and see if he's still working there and if so how it all went down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.