Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by lingoking
Datapoint:

Confirmed seeing the note in Northern Virginia.
Took the wife to get our usual 5k/per person.
Alternatively, you could've just brought your passport in addition to your drivers license.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by pawtim
Alternatively, you could've just brought your passport in addition to your drivers license.
Ok, it looks like all the secrets are coming out now that this seems to be dying. You can use your passport instead? And since it's not the same DL number (no DL number), you can double up?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:32 pm

Midwest. Saw the memo first hand. New policy of cash only confirmed.

I'm out of the game. It's been real.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
Ok, it looks like all the secrets are coming out now that this seems to be dying. You can use your passport instead? And since it's not the same DL number (no DL number), you can double up?
Yes.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by horseymen
This is the second DFW data point of no change.
Another data point, just went to my "go-to" CVS in DFW and talked to the manager ... she said no memo and heard of no change so far.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:40 pm

I have never seen so many VRs at my local CVS in San Diego! I was able to purchase with my CC. No problem here and the cashier didn't know anything about any changes...

http://imgur.com/AmD2UzZ

Last edited by Zgirl; Mar 30, 2014 at 12:42 pm Reason: added a link
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pawtim
Originally Posted by bobert24
Yes.
Passport Cards are a completely different number too. So three ID sources.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ThisTown
Midwest. Saw the memo first hand. New policy of cash only confirmed.

I'm out of the game. It's been real.
Which State?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
If you buy OVs, you get around the problem of cashiers objecting, because they are not GCs and do not say "Gift" on them.
it has tiny print at the top said prepaid card, but thankfully it has a much bigger print DEBIT right above the Visa logo.

Should a cashier demand to see your card, I would imagine you could be SOL as there is no name printed on it. And the small print clearly indicated this is a Prepaid Visa Card. Even the dumbest cashier knows that that means I am afraid.

That said, it is much nicer looking than those with a huge bow or giftwrapped box printed across the card face. lol.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:46 pm

No memo in 3 CVS stores here in Grand Rapids, MI. Bought 5k yesterday and 5k today no issues.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by BenH
I hope that all feeding a lie like this are recognized and black listed.
I take it you don't care too much for really, really good April Fool jokes being played on you.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks for the link. The wiki there is helpful. But it sounds like you sometimes have to do a "payment dance" if you load with a cashier. Is there a card that just goes through without any drama -- or need for quick reflexes?
That is exactly what the Wiki tells you - those work without hitch.

Avoid MC but if you must, liquidate them at grocery stores - the Western Union machine readily identify the MC prepaid as debit cards - there is absolutely no need to do any dance which only happens at WM.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
it has tiny print at the top said prepaid card, but thankfully it has a much bigger print DEBIT right above the Visa logo.

Should a cashier demand to see your card, I would imagine you could be SOL as there is no name printed on it. And the small print clearly indicated this is a Prepaid Visa Card. Even the dumbest cashier knows that that means I am afraid.

That said, it is much nicer looking than those with a huge bow or giftwrapped box printed across the card face. lol.
Ha! Those huge bows and gift wrapped boxes are so glaringly obvious! Avoiding them would be great.

On a serious note though, if the cashier demands to see your card after you've swiped it, which sometimes is the case, I wonder what happens if they void out the transaction. Anyone know? I had a problem using an MVD card (not at CVS) in which MVD authorized the transaction, and despite it never being completed wouldn't, make the funds available for a year unless a release letter was sent by the manager! I would not want to go through something like that again.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by McSam18
I've never noticed that before on VR's website. Does WM even sell VRs?
They've been listed for a long time.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
24 Hour/Day Data Point

Bought $2,000 at 1:00PM Yesterday
Bought $3,000 at 7:30PM Yesterday
At 11:00AM today the register only allowed to me to purchase $2,000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.