Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Other than the float, what is the down side of holding on to the VR for a month? I already bought the max that I can load in April, was thinking of buying more today.

I found one report on the web of someone buying a card without a pin, which he felt was a scam, but only one. I suppose waiting a month would be an issue in that case, is it prudent to check to make sure the PIN is there?
I do this all the time (getting VRs when I see them). The real danger (which I have not had happen) is just that people can try random PINS on the website, and if the card is activated, the transaction will go through. It will have to go on to a particular card, and in theory traced, but too late.

It would be better if the reload site also needed another factor, such as serial number, making the chance of "Vanilla Reload not Present" fraud almost 0.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Well planned by Amex.. They were losing with BB so made people switch to Serve by letting them load with CC (no fee) and do free MS.. Then close the loop and not allow people to switch back to BB.. LOL.. J/K..
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Well worth $39.50 to see the expressions at the store when I come in with the roller bags. Would bring joy to my heart to partially relive the days of the mint when I was hauling up to $75k a day to the banks.

Originally Posted by silver6054
And what about the $39.50 fee? I hope you weren't even thinking about using a card for that!
So your time is worth negative money? May want to get a hobby.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
No, tell him that you approve of the policy and that you are coming over with $5k in dollar coins to comply as soon as it is implemented.

MM - you picked the wrong song - the correct song lyrics are "Go, go, go, go, go, go, go, run away from the Coinado!"
lol yah!

but how about we move to quoting Animal House instead:

Bluto: What? cash only? Did you say "cash only"? Nothing is cash only until we MSers decide it is! Was it over when the Russian Government stopped

Otter: Russians?

Boon: Forget it. He's rolling.

Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the MSin' gets tough . . . the tough get MSin'! Who's with me? Let's go! C'mon! [He runs out of the room screaming but then returns.]
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atxtravel
CC -> GC -> MO -> Bank -> CC -> GC -> MO -> Bank ....
Yeah, I know there are folks taking their gift cards into supermarkets and such and buying money orders. Obviously, there's a (modest) fee for this and all the usual problems of needing human assistance and "looking sketchy." But if you have a friendly supermarket, I'm sure it's a good option.

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
If you buy OVs, you get around the problem of cashiers objecting, because they are not GCs and do not say "Gift" on them.
So you're talking about this card, right?

https://www.7-eleven.com/Cards/No-Co...a-Prepaid-Card

Will CVS still allow us to buy that one tomorrow?

Originally Posted by grayland
Some of us have never had the opportunity to be coddled by CVS and beans as there were none in our State.

We have watched and read with envy....and then trudged off to WM and stood in lines with handfuls of GC.

Welcome to the real world.

Try not to hold the lines up.
Yeah, if I were in your shoes, I guess I'd feel a little smug satisfaction that others now had to endure the same hassle. But since you're obviously an expert in "alternative BB experiences," why don't you share what you've learned from the field?

Thanks for the link. The wiki there is helpful. But it sounds like you sometimes have to do a "payment dance" if you load with a cashier. Is there a card that just goes through without any drama -- or need for quick reflexes?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
So your time is worth negative money? May want to get a hobby.
gfghwergoh34gt50hj0jh

Last edited by Marathon Man; Mar 30, 2014 at 11:24 am
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
From my encounters with many CVS managers over the last few years, I cannot believe some of you have so much faith that many of these managers check their email on a regular basis, even if such a policy is part of their job responsibilities. The cashiers are even worse, as many are not daily, full-time employees and this information would likely be posted behind the counter and later discussed during a weekly 30- to 60-minute store meeting (which may or may not be mandatory for all employees). This type of communication regularly takes a week or more to spread to everyone in the store ... and even that may not be long enough. When the register denies the purchase with CC, it will be the first time many people - managers and cashiers - at the CVS will know about the policy (and even then it will be a "I don't know why it is doing this..." response).

Until someone successfully purchases VR on 3/31 and someone else successfully purchase VR on 4/1, there should be a general assumption that this particular scheme at this particular venue is coming to an abrupt stop after today.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
On a side note, of course this memo would start circulating during the weekend when I don't have time to pay down my credit card balances...lol. Well at least I had enough for 1 day of VRs.
THIS!! VERY bad timing for my spg, that's for sure.

i did almost 10k in MS on friday and was very pleased. i have payments that haven't hit yet, so that 10k left me very little on the cards that make sense for VR's @ cvs.

pre devaluations, cards like ink and CSP still made sense to me @ .08, now it still offers savings vs the cash price, but when i factor in everything, it's not that compelling anymore.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:21 am

Woohoo! I was able to buy VR's fee-free (thanks ISIS)
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:24 am

went to my favorite CVS this morning when it opened expecting to fight over the last VRs I'll probably ever buy, only to find an empty parking lot and an adequate supply. No problem buying $5k, but didn't ask the unfamiliar cashier about the new policy.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:30 am

On Vanilla Reload's website:

Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by bleech2
went to my favorite CVS this morning when it opened expecting to fight over the last VRs I'll probably ever buy, only to find an empty parking lot and an adequate supply. No problem buying $5k, but didn't ask the unfamiliar cashier about the new policy.
I'm about to go on my annual Sunday shopping routine, which involves a run to several CVS in Fort Worth. I'll ask the managers I come across about the memo.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by jibi
From my encounters with many CVS managers over the last few years, I cannot believe some of you have so much faith that many of these managers check their email on a regular basis, even if such a policy is part of their job responsibilities. The cashiers are even worse, as many are not daily, full-time employees and this information would likely be posted behind the counter and later discussed during a weekly 30- to 60-minute store meeting (which may or may not be mandatory for all employees).
This. Despite my local store pumping through hundreds of these cards a week, it is with amazing frequency that I run into employees who seemingly have no clue or what to do with them (how to load them, the need to scan ID, last 4 of CC number, etc.). The shift managers don't seem to know anything about the cards or when they come in (what day of the week, whether an order has been placed, whether they have any in inventory but not on the shelves). Only the actual store manager himself seems to have any comprehension of what is going on, and still it would not surprise me in the least if I were to find out that he hadn't been made immediately aware of high-level policies coming down from corporate.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by envoy245

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Rapid-Reload/1101512

theres the walmart link to this......and says its cash and check only.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Woohoo! I was able to buy VR's fee-free (thanks ISIS)
Um, what's that one about?

That sounds simple enough. Obviously, if you have a drugstore bonus credit card it doesn't help you, but for folks simply using BB to reach their credit card minimum spends, why isn't this simple technique more popular?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.