Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
How do people scratch off the backs of their VRs?

I've tried keys, pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters...never really satisfied with it being neat or efficient--usually takes 5-10 seconds and is messy. Then, I happened across a $2 Canadian coin that has partially smooth and partially rough edges and is very large so that with one swipe in about 2 second I can cleanly remove the right amount of the scratch off area and not make a mess. This works much better with the VR 3.0 (that start with a 7) scratch offs that have a newer better scratch off material.

Maybe I'm a little OCD about this but I'm guessing I'm not alone....
Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by ZapperO

You might be! How many VR a day? Even if it 20 you are saving less than 3 minutes worse case. But if it works, fine..
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:25 pm

I've tried keys, pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters...never really satisfied with it being neat or efficient--usually takes 5-10 seconds and is messy. Then, I happened across a $2 Canadian coin that has partially smooth and partially rough edges and is very large so that with one swipe in about 2 second I can cleanly remove the right amount of the scratch off area and not make a mess. This works much better with the VR 3.0 (that start with a 7) scratch offs that have a newer better scratch off material.

I use another VR to scratch it off. Probably 3-5 seconds and yes it generates some flakeys. I don't know if those things are really designed to be taken off in one piece - and with some cards, when you try, you damage the numbers.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:26 pm

First VR I purchased, I was in such a hurry to load for fear of it being stolen, cloned, etc. I used my fingernail. Didn't realize I had keys in my pocket, coins in my wallet, and the bird debit card I was going to load...

Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

Go to www.mileageupdate.com to the left under my section and click for more links

Find the post called http://mileageupdate.com/vr-gc-roulette/ and scroll thru to find vr ale
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

If it helps the 10p piece is also completely rough edges
I have also used HKD $2 before to scratch it.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: Far too many
practical scratching

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
If it helps the 10p piece is also completely rough edges
I have also used HKD $2 before to scratch it.
A friend described the consequences of scratching with a serrated knife: the numbers scratched off, too. Getting the money back took many calls.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by travel light
A friend described the consequences of scratching with a serrated knife: the numbers scratched off, too. Getting the money back took many calls.
I'd caution people on this too, especially with the 3rd generation VRs. While I didn't remove the numbers, I would have if I hadn't been paying attention. Compare this to the 2nd generation which took considerable effort to scratch off. Definitely a coin is the way to go.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
I'd caution people on this too, especially with the 3rd generation VRs. While I didn't remove the numbers, I would have if I hadn't been paying attention. Compare this to the 2nd generation which took considerable effort to scratch off. Definitely a coin is the way to go.
I have been using scissors without problems, I just dont push when using them.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:42 am

I switched to one of the gold-tone dollar coins with a flat edge. It works perfectly fine, albeit I could see how one might scratch off the numbers if not careful.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:42 am

I use a penny. Three or four swipes, just enough to expose da numbahs.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:52 am

I invented a special VR scratching tool. Guaranteed never to scrape off the numbers when used per manufacturer's instructions. Paypal me $10 and I'll send you one. Free shipping!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 7:56 am

The best thing I've found is a $10 pesos coin. It has recessed edges like quarters and dimes, but they're much smoother. Also, the larger size is easier to hold.

I don't think this is a HUGE concern, but at the rate that some of us are buying VRs, a good scratch-off tool has value.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:19 am

scratch using nails...simple.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I used pennies to scratch the VR. Now...if only I can find VR in south Jersey area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.