Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: United, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Happy
I honestly dont understand why people have the need to split payment on VRs. Just buy them per card. Much cleaner transaction this way.
Originally Posted by vagrants
There are use for split. Some splits I view as art of MS rather than just buying VRs with single payment method.
Can you elaborate? "Splits are used for splits," isn't very clear.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: AA CX AC
Originally Posted by particlemn
I went into a CVS last night to purchase 2 VR's. Upon seeing there were none on the rack i started to turn around, i had 3 cvs employees ask me if i need help, so i thought what the heck, and told themn i was looking for VR's, one said oh we keep those behind the counter, we cought someone taking them from the store and they gave the reason well you are often out of them and i want ot be sure i can get them. this sounds even worst than hiding them.
I always thought that people were shoplifting non activated cards.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jwhite.ft
I'd also guess that someone might take them from the store to use at one which allowed CC or allowed higher CC limits than the store in question, but I agree that it's way over the line.

The store should have a sign saying they keep VR behind the counter if that's what they do.
this was at a store where on a previous trip a clerk was excited to tell me that the limit had been raised to 5k per day so people can collect more miles
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
<feeling very pleased>
At my go to CV store they had restocked. I grabbed 10 and at checkout my usual teller told me that for me she'd put a very large stack in the drawer at the primary register with my name on it!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
I was at a CVS in Filipinotown yesterday and found that they had a ton of VRs. Take 10 to the register and the cashier told me that they are debit/cash only. I asked if we could do one just to see if it works, and she said, "Oh, it'll go through but we're not supposed to do it anymore."

On my way out, a manager by the self-checkouts asked me, "Did you find everything you're looking for today?" So I asked about the VRs and he said something about they're going cash/debit only (presumably just for that store).

But anyway, if you're in/near DTLA, don't bother with the CVS on Sunset. :P
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't been MSing for a bit, but I wanted to complete the yearly spend for the bonus on my AA card and am working on 10K more FlexPerks, so I bought 2K of Vanilla Visa cards today at CVS with the two cards. It went smoothly and with a smile from the cashier and the same thing for the MOs at WM. Still no troubles here in Mad City.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I haven't been MSing for a bit, but I wanted to complete the yearly spend for the bonus on my AA card and am working on 10K more FlexPerks, so I bought 2K of Vanilla Visa cards today at CVS with the two cards. It went smoothly and with a smile from the cashier and the same thing for the MOs at WM. Still no troubles here in Mad City.
For Flex I wouldnt go the CV route but instead Id get them either at a gas station or a supermkt either or not both the same period.Flex gives 2x on either gas or grocercies whichever is the larger of the 2

For 10k in pts that = 20 Vrs at CV x 4.95 or at a supermkt 5.95 x 10 since each $500 = 1000 pts so only 10 GCs are needed
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by rdover1
<feeling very pleased>
At my go to CV store they had restocked. I grabbed 10 and at checkout my usual teller told me that for me she'd put a very large stack in the drawer at the primary register with my name on it!
My local restocked and I got a little light-headed when I saw no fewer than 80 VRs spread across three rows on the rack. I have great availability here anyway but it was awesome to know I'd be set for a week or two at that location.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: AA BAEC FL WN US SPG Marriott Hyatt UR
Until yesterday, I have been buying VRs at CVS with CC and loading them to my BB account without any problem. Yesterday, I purchased one ($500) at CVS with a new Chase Ink Plus card. The transaction went through at the CVS counter without incident. Receipt says it was activated. However, when I went on www.vanillareload.com to load it, upon entering the 10 digit pin, I got "The card is SUSPENDED. Error Code 4005". So I cannot load it. I called InComm. They said to email/fax copy of receipt and front/back of card to them. I called CVS - manager there said to call InComm or they would call for me. There is a temporary authorization on the CC for amount of the card plus the 3.95 fee plus some other minor purchases. Has anyone any idea why "The card is SUSPENDED" would appear????
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: AA CX AC
Angry

Originally Posted by mfinn
Until yesterday, I have been buying VRs at CVS with CC and loading them to my BB account without any problem. Yesterday, I purchased one ($500) at CVS with a new Chase Ink Plus card. The transaction went through at the CVS counter without incident. Receipt says it was activated. However, when I went on www.vanillareload.com to load it, upon entering the 10 digit pin, I got "The card is SUSPENDED. Error Code 4005". So I cannot load it. I called InComm. They said to email/fax copy of receipt and front/back of card to them. I called CVS - manager there said to call InComm or they would call for me. There is a temporary authorization on the CC for amount of the card plus the 3.95 fee plus some other minor purchases. Has anyone any idea why "The card is SUSPENDED" would appear????
My recent use of a new ink + card was declined. I didn't get a suspend error, just declined. That evening after calling cust service (Chase business card cs reps are overseas) any security issue was taken care of. I guess even though the card was activated properly, chase still had a security issue when I purchased $1.5k of vr's.........
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by sgideons
My local restocked and I got a little light-headed when I saw no fewer than 80 VRs spread across three rows on the rack. I have great availability here anyway but it was awesome to know I'd be set for a week or two at that location.
+1. Seems New England lagged the dissappearance and reappearance of VRs at CVS by a couple months.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Last night I went into CVS and I actually bought something. It had nothing to do with mylez!
Bravo!!!!

I've actually started buying a lot of stuff there... with coupons and specials, you can get all kinds of crap very cheaply
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Bravo!!!!

I've actually started buying a lot of stuff there... with coupons and specials, you can get all kinds of crap very cheaply
Yes, but let's just say (maybe I'm just a negative/cynical person) that even if/when CVS stops selling VR to CC, I still will go there and will never go to WG again for non-MS bc WG gave up first on selling VR to CC. CVS is willing to play the game ^ so they get my non-MS business.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Bravo!!!!

I was in line behind a lady on knocked about $25 of stuff down to about $3, and then circled back because one purchase didn't get scanned to her card for extra care points earning. A different path than mine, but respect.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yes, but let's just say (maybe I'm just a negative/cynical person) that even if/when CVS stops selling VR to CC, I still will go there and will never go to WG again for non-MS bc WG gave up first on selling VR to CC. CVS is willing to play the game ^ so they get my non-MS business.
You are a better man than me... once they stop doing VR I'm done. Even if I can get cheerios or butt wipers cheap there

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
I was in line behind a lady on knocked about $25 of stuff down to about $3, and then circled back because one purchase didn't get scanned to her card for extra care points earning. A different path than mine, but respect.
Respect indeed. I need to get my wife doing this kind of stuff.

I have a friend I got into points and she is very into the couponing thing. I've dabbled with it, but the upside just isn't so great. I mean sitting in Emirates First Class is a far more impressive end goal than having a room overstocked with free butt wipers, tissues and listerine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.