Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Wonko
Interesting experience today at one of my regular CVSs. A manager took over the register just before my turn which I never like, but oh well. I gave him two VRs and asked to load $500 on and $490 on the other. He paused for a good second, then said "sure" and rang up the transaction, no problems, the receipt printed and he handed it to me, then he quickly grabbed a second presumably duplicate receipt that printed immediately after and set it out of my sight beside the register. It would have been easy to miss and I had the distinct impression that I wasn't supposed to see it, and I suspect that it was for an SAR for structuring, if that word applies here.

I don't know how big a deal to make of it, but the moral of the story is: if you try to avoid the DL scan by going just under $1K, you may be triggering some alarm.
That second receipt was supposed to be a receipt for you to sign. The register does this sometimes.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by CrediPig
Why buy VR with GC? Just buy MOs. They're much cheaper. What am I missing?
u r missing $2K limit at wally, that's all.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
My CVS manager told me that the store will get a new shipment next week...
fingers crossed...
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
My CVS manager told me that the store will get a new shipment next week...
fingers crossed...
Not sure how he/she knows this for sure. From what I can tell they all place orders every week and nothing comes in. But i'll cross my fingers for you too.
One manager told me the way he gets them in is to order 1000. That way, 100 is sure to come in. Of course I take anything they say with a grain of salt.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by KYBOSH
Not sure how he/she knows this for sure. From what I can tell they all place orders every week and nothing comes in. But i'll cross my fingers for you too.
One manager told me the way he gets them in is to order 1000. That way, 100 is sure to come in. Of course I take anything they say with a grain of salt.
Well whenever he told me that, they always got the shipment.. let's see..
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
in my favorite store today I was told "cash or debit only".
I said I bought beans w/CC many times here.
"oh, we have new manager and that's how he wants it".

In another store /new to me/ I found a lot of beans only to be told "cash only since last week".
You really never know what's going to happen when you visit a CVS for VRs. The store managers seem to have enormous discretion, and nobody seems to fully understand the supply issues.

The very first store I bought them in went through about 8 different "policies" (including $200 max on a credit card) before they stopped carry them altogether. My "replacement" store quickly went to $500/day. But now I have a couple other nearby stores that don't seem to care how much I buy (but I've never bought more than $1500 because I don't want the credit card company to "care") and usually have cards.

No telling what happens next. I am concerned by the number of folks who say their supplies are drying up, but it doesn't seem to be more than random yet.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by MaineCoon
u r missing $2K limit at wally, that's all.
not sure what limit WM has of $2k. Some CSR's will want to fill out paperwork with your personal info if you purchase over $3k of paper products. I just keep it under $3k and send wife in for rest. You could always wait until tomorrow and save yourself $7.90-$0.70= $7.20. I personally would save the $$7.20 if it was me.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:33 pm

Great inventory at the Tampa CVS's all by the FTU event. Spoke to a cashier around noon and she said she had already rung up about 20 people since she started her shift. Probably didn't help that Gary Leff announced he hid one with his initials on it with a prize.

The $5k in one shot w/driver's license scan was no problem.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
What do you mean deactivating? How does a retailer store deactivate a GC or reload?

Did the xard's CS dept tell you this?
I have one set of cards (2) that I first went through One vanilla's process of investigating. Their investigation takes 4 business days. the result of that is that they said it was the retailer (CVS) that deactivated my cards. Now I am in a 7-10 business day turn time that is only a few business hours into the process. The girl at CVS that sold these to me didn't have anything to do with this (or she is a very good liar). She seems to be at least 1 level up from entry level store associate.

I also have a set of Vanilla Reloads (2) that gets an error message that the retailer is behind them not working. I didn't bring these up yet with anyone because I was sitting on "a stack" (maybe around 8-9 gift cards from CVS) and wasn't sure how widespread my issue was. I wanted to see where I stood (checking those gift cards) before hitting up retailers/ card companies with claims. This 2nd one was from a different store but it was also a store that has $1000 daily limit, which I have abused.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 9:52 am

CVS in Indiana was more meagerly stocked than usual when I went in this morning, but cashier sold me 2 at $450/each without blinking, so I'm tentatively optimistic.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by skibum7732
not sure what limit WM has of $2k. Some CSR's will want to fill out paperwork with your personal info if you purchase over $3k of paper products. I just keep it under $3k and send wife in for rest. You could always wait until tomorrow and save yourself $7.90-$0.70= $7.20. I personally would save the $$7.20 if it was me.
Roundtrip to wally takes me 4 gallons of gas. I'd rather minimize my trips.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:59 am

BB has a $5K per month load limit. What are people doing with all of the VR cards? Multiple BB accounts?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
BB has a $5K per month load limit. What are people doing with all of the VR cards? Multiple BB accounts?
immediate family..friends etc etc..
Old Sep 29, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
immediate family..friends etc etc..
I'm with ya. Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by TTT103
Some people have enough birds to run a zoo here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.