Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:37 am

Darn, getting to the end of the month and everywhere is still out here.. looks like I'll have to splurge the additional $1/card for Vanilla Visa
Old Sep 27, 2013, 8:49 am

I'm in the southeast and all the VR's (4 stores) from my area are gone. I never had any issues in finding them before. The shelves are there, just not restocked.

The day before it ran out, the scanner beeped and I was stopped from buying them with CC's at my regular store.

Something is going on.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
VRs have been sold out at my local drugstore for the past 4 weeks just about. =(
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by turnpike13
oh geez, will some of you please scroll back to 3rd/4th of week august posts, you'll see complaining about being out of stock as we see now and every second half of the month. only difference is now stores run out even faster because BB is getting more popular and there's more mouths to feed.

As more and more people join the game, more and more metro areas will quickly become as barren as the bay area. this is inevitable.
Some of these places have been out for a month. I'm thinking that they are rolling out the new cards. That's what I'm hoping, anyway.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
My hope is that they are replacing the cards with the new security strip on the back. I believe there was a bad outage in other areas of the country a month or so back. If you have the new strip, then there might be a bigger issue going on here.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
My CVS had received the new strip last time I purchased them...but they are out now. I will try a few more in the area at lunch time and report back.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
My hope is that they are replacing the cards with the new security strip on the back. I believe there was a bad outage in other areas of the country a month or so back. If you have the new strip, then there might be a bigger issue going on here.
I've had stores with the new strip that are now out of stock.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:38 am

Talking

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I've been getting the new strip VRs for the past 4 to 5 weeks now. My main CVS has had a mix of them. I haven't bought any VRs for about 3 weeks, but need to get ready for October. My closest, and best CVS is 45 miles away, but I have a business trip scheduled there tomorrow. So, I'll give a report back tomorrow evening. (Assuming that the pub doesn't get in my way)
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ghoku18
I'm in the southeast and all the VR's (4 stores) from my area are gone. I never had any issues in finding them before. The shelves are there, just not restocked.

The day before it ran out, the scanner beeped and I was stopped from buying them with CC's at my regular store.

Something is going on.
The VRs got pulled from the shelf. I know because there's a store that had lots of them and the next day, they were all gone. I believe CVS simply stopped selling them.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:12 am

Then, this is as bad as I thought it was. I'm going to have to switch to GCs, MOs, and going to WM more often. That sucks. I wish I could find out info about what prompted it. My go to stores say that they are out of stock and that they aren't scheduled to receive more.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:28 am

I drove out to a remote CVS I've never visited (since all my local stores are out) and they had a decent stock of VRs, but they are all the old style. So it's a good bet they aren't restocking but rather no one has been buying any there.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:57 am

Two CVS near Chelmsford center in Mass are out of VRs.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:22 pm

my local store was out of them. I stopped by to see if I could moneypak with a CC but alas I cannot. On a brighter note, my local RA let me moneypak with a cc today. score!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:54 pm

Just ran out to my local CVS here in South Florida and there were plenty.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Tons and tons always available here in Cleveland.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.