Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Funding new bank/CU account(s) with a credit card - Postmortem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JerMah
Less intelligent? There goes that elitist, entitlement mindset I was speaking of...

Do you realize how you sound? From that one post, alone?

You can stop with the 'I'm for the people' speaches and maybe tone down the dramallama a bit too

Yes, I pm'd you and suggested you keep it under wraps, and yes, I knew where you'd gotten it. There's nothing elitist with keeping a deal close to the vest, esp a deal which likely can't withstand a lot of pressure.

And don't think for a second that FT exists to help people - it's a money making venture that's here for the revenue generating purposes of the sites owners. That people get help is secondary.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
And I understand your reasoning, but what's your solution? Just gold rush every deal that comes up and kill them instantly?

Deals stay alive when the people who know about them are sensible enough to keep them alive. It's not too difficult to filter out people who will kill the deal by exercising some reasonable discretion -- things like using hints rather than spelling out the details and using PMs. Nobody's born as a member of any elite group -- it's just networking of people who demonstrate sensibility with regard to sensitive deals.
As I said, I understand the logic, but something's got to give. The idea of a group of members that PM each other new deals and exploits, when they find them, on a forum of thousands of members, is simply sad. People come to these places to join in on the fun.

This is like middle school; people telling secrets and PMing each other because they don't want other people to find out about their new way to screw over a credit card company.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
"Animal Farm" ...anyone?

Originally Posted by JerMah
I understand the logic, but this isn't the place for that. When you have a forum of many thousands of members, the point is to share information with them. Not just some group of "500" elite people. If those people only want to share amongst themselves, they can go create their own, private, site and talk there like they're members of an exclusive club.

It's sad that people are trying to justify this behavior. I know, damn well, that the FT staff agrees with me, too. This type of discussion (my original topic) is what FT thrives on, and its own members are trying to steer FT away from that concept of community sharing.
The argument about who is entitled to sharing deals and the use of PM as the way to go so as not to kill deals/exploits/loopholes remind me of that Animal Farm concept “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pcharles
Likely you wont be part of any.

Keep going, need a backhoe to help with your shoveling?
As I said, fine with me.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:32 am

I'm applying for a mortgage this week so I guess this would be a no-no since it's a credit pull....
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kadence
I'm applying for a mortgage this week so I guess this would be a no-no since it's a credit pull....
Chex only.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:40 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
LOL is it dead already?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:44 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 6:52 am
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:48 am

Looks like it's still there to me.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:55 am

Darn, I don't have any CCs with that large of a limit. Doesn't feel like it's worth it for a smaller amount of points
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:57 am

So credit check is different than credit pull? I didn't know there was a difference
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Closed for review.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: Several dozen

Just an update on the Catholic Credit Union card funding opportunity posted on Flyertalk and picked up on the blogs this past week. The credit union initially created pending charges, but the reports are that the pending charges all dropped off with no charge made or miles earned. This is yet another classic case of what appears to have been an opportunity that worked well for some time and was killed when outed in the guise of altruism. Let us hope that some time down the road Marie Laveau does her magic and reannimates this opportunity. That said when opportunities return from the dead they often come back with better internal controls and restrictions.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Another one bites the dust, yeah, another one bites the dust!

Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
RIP Clairvius Narcisse

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.